Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend told me about his site, and said it was a great bunch of guys who wouldn't mind helping out someone completely unfamiliar with the cigar world.

I just got my first humidor as a Christmas present, and I was wondering if anyone could provide any tips for setting it up. Any information you could provide would help since I have never done this before.

Also, I was also wondering if you might be able to provide some cigar recommendations. I have smoked the ACID-Kuba Kuba, and enjoyed it. If anyone has a suggestions of something similar, or another cigar, please let me know.

As I have said, I am new at this and willing to try new cigars. If anyone can provide any information for me, it would be more than I know now.

Thanks

·
Registered
949 Posts
How To Set Up Your Cigar Humidor

Now that you got your humidor lets not get all crazy and just throw our cigars inside without setting it up. Many people think its just a storage box. Well if that's what you think you'd be better off saving your money and putting your cigars in an old shoe box. A humidor is used to "properly" store your cigars by controlling humidity and adding to the aging process with cedar wood inside. When you get your humidor follow the following steps and were sure you will find that they are very EZ and your cigars will be properly stored.

Calibrating your Hygrometer
You'll Need Salt
Plastic Ziplock bag or Tupperware container
Small Cap (one that fits inside the bag)
Couple drops of water

Directions: Take a teaspoon of salt put it in an open container. (I use the top to a Gatorade bottle) Put a couple drops of water on the salt, enough to make it damp don't make a puddle, make it so its like wet sand. Place your hygrometer in the bag along with the small container. (Don't spill it) Seal the bag with some air in there. Check it in about 6-8 hours see if it has stabilized. Once it has stabilized take your hygrometer out of the bag. It should read somewhere around 75%. If it does not, get a small screwdriver and on the back of the hygrometer you will see a small screw. Turn the screw until the meter reads 75%.

Charging You Humidifyer

You'll Need Distilled water
Humidification Solution (if you choose)

Directions: Put distilled water in a dish. Put enough to cover the humidifier about 1/2 way up. If you choose to use a humidification solution, fill dish up with solution. Soak for about a minute, then remove from water and shake off excess water and dry casing so it doesn't' drip on the cigars. Now your ready to install it in the humidor. Recharge every 3-6 months depending on your use.

Preparing your Humidor (This step will bring controversy. This is how I did it.)

You'll Need: Distilled Water

Directions: Wipe down the entire inside of the humidor with distilled water. Let it dry for a couple hours and repeat the process This process will re-humidify the wood so your cigars will stay fresh. If the humidity drops after a couple of days, wipe down the inside again. This does not mean there is a problem it could just be that that the wood was extremely dry. Do not put the cigars on when the wood has just been wiped down, let it dry for a little while.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Oh yeah Welcome to the jungle......

Here are a few of my favorite Cigars.

Acid One since you mention the Kuba Kuba

Anything Arturo Fuente
Carlos Torano Signature and Silver label
Flor de Oliva Bundle Really inexpensive and high quality.
Anything Padron. Espaecially if you want to splurge a little bit get a 1964 Anniversario Series.
Montechristo Serie V
Romeo and Juliet Anniversario
Don Diego Reserve
Punch maduro

·
-
11,412 Posts
kamikaiguy said:
Directions: Wipe down the entire inside of the humidor with distilled water. Let it dry for a couple hours and repeat the process This process will re-humidify the wood so your cigars will stay fresh.
he left out, "not sopping wet". you just want to get the wood "damp", not WET, but damp.

some humidors only have a spanish cedar veneer lining, and if you get them too wet, then the adhesive that's holding it in there will come undone and then you won't have spanish cedar lining anymore.

still, it just takes a little bit of wiping down.
i take a cotton cloth, dip it in distilled water, then wring it out... you'll know you're getting the wood damp because it should change to a more orange-ish/red color than it was before.

some people also put a small glass with distilled water in there, on a cloth, and let it sit for a few days....

most humidors come with instructions as well.

·
-
11,412 Posts
kamikaiguy said:
Anything Arturo Fuente
Anything Padron. Espaecially if you want to splurge a little bit get a 1964 Anniversario Series.
Montechristo Serie V
Don Diego Reserve
Punch maduro
i agree with much of what he's said.
*arturo fuente makes a LOT of cigars with different names, not just arturo fuente.
*i prefer the torano exodus gold lable over the silver.
*flor de oliva bundles are nice, and cheap.
*padrons are nicely made, not overpowering. they can get expensive.
*i like perdomos - but haven't had one in over half a year.
*if you like dirt, try a don diego reserve - you'll notice everyones tastes are different. :D
*punch and hoyo de monterreys are pretty nice as well, and can be cheap.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I have enjoyed tha occasional Acid myself. One note, however DO NOT store the Acids in your new humidor. They will taint the wood with the strong aroma that they exude. Also, NEVER store Acids with any of your other cigars, as the same will happen to your regular smokes. Flavored cigars should be quarrintined (sp?).

BTW, Welcome! :)

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Another note. If you like flavored cigars, try the CAO flavors. They are superior to the Drew Estate IMHO.

Yes, a bit of post whoring. I could have edited the 1st post, but...... :D

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
AugieLax72 said:
A friend told me about his site, and said it was a great bunch of guys who wouldn't mind helping out someone completely unfamiliar with the cigar world.

I just got my first humidor as a Christmas present, and I was wondering if anyone could provide any tips for setting it up. Any information you could provide would help since I have never done this before.

Also, I was also wondering if you might be able to provide some cigar recommendations. I have smoked the ACID-Kuba Kuba, and enjoyed it. If anyone has a suggestions of something similar, or another cigar, please let me know.

As I have said, I am new at this and willing to try new cigars. If anyone can provide any information for me, it would be more than I know now.

Thanks
I enjoy the Cusano 18's, which are sort of like the CAO Gold's, except my tastebuds think the Cusano's are a bit more flavorful and a tad smoother than the CAO Gold's. Just IMO.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome to the jungle :al
as too smokes just take one of these and one of those and couple of those and maybe just maybe 2 or 3 of those :D

Carlos Torano Exodus 1959
Excalibur 1066
RyJ reserve Maduro
HdM Excalibur
Sancho Panza
Padron
CAO MX2
Helix Maduro
La Gloria Cubana
La Gloria Cubana Serie R
Gurkha
Macanudo Robust & Maduro
Punch
Montecristo
Onyx
Partagas

those are a few good ones that I found...of course I've only been smoking for about 5 months :w I'm sure these guys can give you a much better list...just enjoy :cool:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome to the jungle. You've already been given some great recommendations, and good advice for setting up your humidor. I'll add El Rey Del Mundo, Sancho Panza and Puros Indios as some brands to try.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
kamikaiguy said:
Oh yeah Welcome to the jungle......

Here are a few of my favorite Cigars.

Acid One since you mention the Kuba Kuba

Anything Arturo Fuente
Montechristo Serie V
Don Diego Reserve
Punch maduro
:D Welcome Bro :D
Dammit kamikaiguy took all the ones that i was gonna say i guess i have to pearn to post a lil faster!

·
Registered
882 Posts
While since everyone posted what I would have suggested, i will just say Hi. Welcome to the Jungle. I hope you enjoy it here there is a lot of great people here as yoyur friend said. YPu can learn a lot and have some fun while you are here. Any case Happy Holidays and Welcome. :al :w

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
Can't really add anything more than what has already been said, so welcome to Club Stogie!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Just gonna chime in and welcome you......glad you made it! :cool:

Most of the above suggestions are what I was going to say. All very cgood choices.

Tha main thing is just don't be afraid to try something new......you never know when you might find a really good smoke...!!! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts