Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:al
HELLO ALL!! I have just begun my jorney into the realm of smoking fine cigars and I have to say it has been a very pleasureable experience.
I have had a few occasions where I was in the presence of opportunity, but always seemed to not click with the experience. My first experience that consumed me was at work at a mortgage company - discussing business outside with my employer. He pulled from a bag two fine cigars which were given to him as a gift for a closing he had done, and I was intrigued by the smoking of a long-cut heavy-barrel robusto.
At the time, I was given a year previous for christmas a box of Cortisia Churchill's with a bottle of fine scotch. I drank the scotch, but never consumed the cigars, so they were sitting in a 25 pack box with only 2 used for sampling.
Only after the experience at my job, did I begin to aquire a taste for the fine box of cigars sitting on my shelf.
I have since purchased a humidor and a new pack of cigars from the Thompson Cigar Company, and I would love to continue my search for the perfect cigar for me. Since this is a new experience I would appreciate any information anyone can give on affordable, quality cigars and cigar expo's in the New York Metro area.
Thank you, and good smoking to you all
Ron McCall

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Welcome aboard!

In NYC you can check out JR cigar (they have several shops in Manhattan and are the biggest cigar retailer/distributor in the US). There's also Nat Sherrman (they mostly sell their name brand, but have quite a few lines with a range of tastes and characteristics, City Desk and Gotham Series are among my faves). There's House of Oxford Distributors somewhere in Midtown Manhattan . . . they are very competitively priced and used to sell retail, you might want to check them out. A little more upscale you have De La Concha in midtown and the Davidoff store (not cheap).

Good luck & happy hunting.

MoTheMan

BTW, there are also numerous smaller shops with decent humidors scattered throughout the city.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
P.S. Not too far from you (a little over an hour's ride by train) is Philly (the city, not Filly, one of the CS herfs [LOL]). There you'll find Holt's cigar Co. If you get a chance, go check it out, their store brand is Ashton and they carry an awesome selection of the AF lines, not to mention great service and great staff.

MoTheMan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welcome to the jungle. There are a lot of very good retailers online that offer cheaper prices than most B&M stores.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome Ron -

You've found an excellent source of information and advice. I'm pretty new to the forum as well and have already gotten a wealth of good direction... My favorite domestic cigar for the money is the Camacho Corojo Diploma. Knowing me I'll probably have a new favorite next week, but I highly recommend trying this cigar... Which cigars have you enjoyed so far?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts