Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I feel the need to add another new pipe to the rack.

I already have 2 churchwardens, and a few briars(most are estates) and a cob or two when testing new blends.

My budget is pretty small, in fact for pipes I am looking at the $100+/-, hence having mostly estate pipes.

I really want to add a BIG bowl pipe or a Meer to the collection.

Found plenty of Meer's in my range, but need some extra thoughts on big bowl briars in my range. Found a Butz-Choquin Jumbo for a good price.

Also I would like to try a pipe with a more open airway to see if it truly does make the best experience. Anyone know of a compromise in big bowl/ larger airway?

Thanks.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
So I feel the need to add another new pipe to the rack.

I already have 2 churchwardens, and a few briars(most are estates) and a cob or two when testing new blends.

My budget is pretty small, in fact for pipes I am looking at the $100+/-, hence having mostly estate pipes.

I really want to add a BIG bowl pipe or a Meer to the collection.

Found plenty of Meer's in my range, but need some extra thoughts on big bowl briars in my range. Found a Butz-Choquin Jumbo for a good price.

Also I would like to try a pipe with a more open airway to see if it truly does make the best experience. Anyone know of a compromise in big bowl/ larger airway?

Thanks.
While I don't have any experience with them personally, the Savinelli Hercules series like the 611 or 614 can have some very big bowls. These should come in at or under $100. I don't know if you can find a really big meer in that price range?

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Generally, more briar equals higher price. Savinelli's Hercules series has large pipes for around $75.00, I think. Any of their other pipes with KS after the shape number denotes a larger size. Ardor is known for huge pipes, but that would be out of your range.

$100 or so can get you a pretty large meerschaum:
I.M.P. Meerschaum Medium Lattice Bent Billiard Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info so far. I had forgotten about the Sav Hercs.... I already have 2 other Sav's. But they are good smokers, so another can't hurt.

meerschaumstore.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DR002#

This is the one meer I was looking at, seems you can change the size and stem length if desired.

· The Cheese stands alone
2,779 Posts
Check out meerfan's listings on ebay. Keean is actually part of the family that owns IMP meerschaums and usually has quite a few XL & XXL sized meers. On most of his auctions there is a make an offer option and you can save $15-$20 from his list buy it now price. The onlybad part is the pipes ship from Turkey and take about 3 weeks to arrive.

· Dastardly Scoundrel
1,267 Posts
I second the Mario Grandi pipes, the big ones are huge but cost only a fraction of what other companies sell for. The best thing about Mario Grandi is that every one of their pipes are hand made uniques. You will never find another one exactly the same.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK wow, pipe night for me...my offer was accepted on the Mario Grandi; a nice Full Bent Dublin. And my bid for a Charatan Trafalgar Canadian won as well. 2 unsmoked pipes for the grand total of $140 shipped. Maybe next year I will get that Meer.

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
OK wow, pipe night for me...my offer was accepted on the Mario Grandi; a nice Full Bent Dublin. And my bid for a Charatan Trafalgar Canadian won as well. 2 unsmoked pipes for the grand total of $140 shipped. Maybe next year I will get that Meer.
Super good! :tu Man, a Charatan Canadian! I love Canadians. Only got the one Sasieni, but it's way cool. Literally. :lol:

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Super good! :tu Man, a Charatan Canadian! I love Canadians. Only got the one Sasieni, but it's way cool. Literally. :lol:
I picked up a Benton Select Canadian that hasn't been tried out yet, I better get that one heated up before I get the Charatan in my hands. I do think the Canadians will be my carry pipes, they seem light but quite sturdy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.