Cigar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all -

Thanks to the slippery slope, I have a new, larger (50ct) humidor on the way and would like some advice on preparing it for use. I think I @#%ed up with my first one b/c I was told to wipe the inside down with a damp cloth, and some of my cigars burned faster down one side, like they were wet on the other side (I can't remember how long I let it sit before using it)...

I need to get it up and running ASAP b/c I have a handful of good cigars in tupperware (also in a ziplock bag with a Fuente humidipak).

1) Should I use the damp cloth technique again?

2) If so, how long should I wait before putting stogies in?

3) Anything else?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Just place a small container of distilled water inside. As for how long... I would say maybe a couple of days. To check the progress, you can take out the container, close the lid, and check the humidity after 5 or so minutes. No need to wipe down.

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
When I first set mine up I used the damp cloth as reccomended... mainly to remove anything left over during the mfg. process... I filled the humidifer and the humidity rose to about 85-90%... after a couple of days I opened the humidor for a few hours and let it air out a bit... I reclosed it and waited for another day before I put my cigars in... everything balanced out after this and the humidity holds steady right around 68-70%

I am not sure if that is the reason why your cigars burned unevenly, unless it was really saturated but then your humidity would have been off the charts... alot of cigars that i've found just simply do this & can get worse if they are not lit properly or corrected with your lighter while smoking

Also, I regularly rotate the cigars in my humi... i find that moving them closer/further from the humidification source will fix any problems if it seems that certain ones are either too dry or too wet... I also keep cedar dividers on the bottom & between the rows to let the air/humidity flow evenly throughout...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Brandon said:
Just place a small container of distilled water inside. As for how long... I would say maybe a couple of days. To check the progress, you can take out the container, close the lid, and check the humidity after 5 or so minutes. No need to wipe down.
I agree with Brandon, if you put the distilled water container in the microwave for a "quick minute" it'll speed things up even further. Two or three days and you should be set, although there is no real harm in wiping it down at first you need to make sure you give it time to absorb. I have used this process on all eight of my humidors and have had great results:D :u .

·
Registered
369 Posts
Then there's the really slow two week method... Calibrate your hygrometer (salt test). Charge the humidistat with propylene (sp?) glycol and distilled water 50/50. Keep an eye on the hygrometer about every day and check the humidistat about that often to see if it needs to be recharged with distilled water. For the first few days there'll be a lot of refilling. After a while it'll slow down a bit. After about two weeks of this, the humidor should've soaked up enough humidity to put in the stogies. So say magazines and the like...

I've only had the patience to do this, like, once. Like most people I've done the dish of water trick. It's quicker.

Maybe the manufacturer of your humidor has some advice?

another suggestion, start saving for an even bigger humi.
Oh, and no kidding about getting the bigger humidor! I never thought I'd outgrow my first 50-count. Now I've got a cooler and several smaller humidors.

Be very careful! :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I never liked the "damp cloth technique"....seems to hurt the cedar more than anything else, and causes some initial humidity fluctuations.
Brandon's way seem best for me. For a humidor that size, it should be ready in 24-48 hours.
:w

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellas.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
another suggestion, start saving for an even bigger humi. it's enivitable!
Jimmy's right!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts