Cigar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this story. I watched this dirt bag on TV with tears streaming down his face as his lawyer explained that he was just loading his gun and it went off by accident. I love the part where the girlfriend had her window open at the same time to throw out a cigarrette. Duh! Man, you gotta love this crap!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar...lled_road_rage/

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Deadly I-93 chase called road rage
Lawyer says gun fired by mistake
By Mac Daniel and Brian MacQuarrie, Globe Staff, 1/29/2004

WOBURN -- The high-speed cat-and-mouse game began early Tuesday night in New Hampshire, with two cars hurtling southbound on Interstate 93 in a weaving, reckless race toward Boston, authorities said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The two cars were first seen speeding near Manchester, N.H., then raced about 40 miles toward Boston, alternately tailgating and bumping and banging into each other as they jockeyed for position, a prosecutor said.

The encounter ended in Stoneham at about 8:30 p.m., with one driver shot fatally in the face and another injured as the two cars collided and then crashed. But what the prosecutor called a tragic case of road rage, a defense lawyer characterized as a deadly mistake in which a bullet accidentally fired by a passenger in one car killed the driver of the other.

The woman who died apparently did not know the couple in the other car, authorities said. Jerone S. Jones, 24, of Manchester, N.H., told police that he routinely loaded his 40mm Glock semiautomatic pistol as he neared Boston and that the handgun fired inadvertently Tuesday, assistant Middlesex District Attorney Thomas F. O'Reilly recounted yesterday.

However, O'Reilly told Judge Barbara Pearson, "we have no doubt his intent was to kill."

Jones's lawyer, Stephen Neyman, called the prosecution's road-rage argument "clever but far-fetched."

"This . . . at the very best is an involuntary manslaughter case," Neyman said. He declined to comment after the arraignment.

Pearson ordered Jones held without bail on charges of first-degree murder and illegal weapons possession. Gwynne A. Doyle, 25, the driver of the car Jones rode, was arrested on a charge of illegal weapons possession after police allegedly found the pistol in her waistband while paramedics treated her in an ambulance.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty in Woburn District Court.

Lynn Bader, 26, of Concord, N.H., was found dead at the scene near the Winchester line, slumped in the front seat of a Chevrolet Cavalier. Authorities said the fatal bullet struck her below the lip and exited through the back of her head.

"Lynn was just the most loving, wonderful person in the world," Bader's mother, Karen O'Reilly, told the Associated Press in an interview. O'Reilly cried as she spoke of the "senseless" and "horrific" death. "It's beyond awful. . . . I need to know why people would just take out a gun, pull up beside somebody, and shoot her," O'Reilly said. She said her daughter, the youngest of three children, grew up on Long Island, in Ronkonkoma, N.Y. Bader, who would have turned 27 Sunday, had worked providing care for the mentally ill, O'Reilly said, and was considering a move to the Boston area to be closer to friends.State Police said there was paint from Bader's sky-blue Cavalier on the left-front hubcap of the Lincoln, indicating frequent contact between the two cars.

According to prosecutors, the location where the bullet struck Bader and the distance between the two cars show that the gun was discharged deliberately. "The fact that Bader was shot just below the lip indicated that she was looking full face at Jones when the gun fired," O'Reilly said.

Doyle told State Police that her driver-side window was rolled down at the time of the shot so she could discard a cigarette. The bullet passed between Doyle and the steering wheel.

After the bullet was fired, prosecutors said, the two cars swerved into each other near the Winchester Highlands exit and eventually crashed into the median guardrail about a quarter-mile apart. When State Police arrived 45 seconds after the first 911 call from frantic witnesses, Jones told police the shooting was a mistake. Jones said he had been "holding his hand on the trigger and pulling the [gun's] slide back to put a round in the chamber [when] the weapon just went off," said O'Reilly, the assistant district attorney.

Police said Jones told them he had been traveling to Malden and Hingham to collect money to pay his rent.

Doyle had a gash on her forehead and swelling above her eyes as she was brought in on crutches from Massachusetts General Hospital. She was ordered held on $10,000 cash bail.

After the single shot, the Lincoln struck a guardrail to the right, sliced back across four lanes of traffic, and crashed into the median guardrail. When State Police towed the car away, a large piece of guardrail was imbedded in the grille.

Bader's car continued down the highway, skidded against the right-side guardrail, recrossed the interstate, and also hit the median guardrail, police said.

At the scene, Jones and Doyle were repeatedly asked to turn over any weapon they might have, O'Reilly said. According to a police report, Doyle was heard asking a paramedic in an ambulance if officers were listening. After being told they were not, Doyle allegedly told the paramedic she was "hiding something in her pants." A state trooper overheard this, handcuffed Doyle above her head, and retrieved the loaded weapon.

State Police Sergeant Michael S. Fiore then confronted Doyle, according to the report.

"I asked you five times if you had the gun. Why didn't you tell me?" Fiore asked.

"I know. I was too scared," Doyle allegedly said while sobbing.

A woman identified by Jones's lawyer as the defendant's mother did not respond to reporters' questions at the court hearing. "I've already been through enough," she said.

Jones told police that he and Doyle noticed Bader speeding and decided to follow her closely in an effort to avoid radar traps. That way, O'Reilly said, if Bader's car were stopped, Jones and Doyle could continue because the police officer would be occupied with Bader.

Court records show that Jones has had at least two previous convictions. In 1999, he led Boston police on a brief chase after he was spotted driving a stolen car. Jones pleaded guilty and served at least 24 days of a one-year sentence at the Suffolk County House of Correction, according to records.

At the time, Jones was on probation from Suffolk Superior Court after pleading guilty in 1998 to one count of assault and battery, according to a spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley. His spokesman, David Procopio, said records show that a friend of Jones attacked another man with a pool cue.

When the victim tried to report the assault to police, records show, Jones and another man forcibly restrained the victim, resulting in the assault charge. Jones was sentenced to three years' probation.

After yesterday's hearing, the prosecutor and Jones's lawyer declined to comment further. Last night, Doyle's lawyer, Vincent A. Murray of Boston, said in a phone interview that his client grew up in Pembroke.

Murray said Doyle recently moved to New Hampshire and was working in Manchester, though he could not say where she was employed. Doyle was so distraught, Murray said, he has yet to discuss the case in detail.

"She's absolutely devastated, absolutely traumatized," he said. "She hasn't stopped crying from when I first saw her to when I left her at the courthouse today."

Murray said that Doyle has no prior convictions and that her parents were in court yesterday.

"This is a terrible tragedy for all of the families involved," he said.

John Ellement of the Globe staff and Globe correspondents Emma Stickgold and Heather Allen contributed to this report. Material from the Associated Press also was used.

© Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.
PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION E-MAIL TO A FRIEND

TOOLS PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
E-MAIL TO A FRIEND
TOP E-MAILED ARTICLES
SEARCH GLOBE ARCHIVES

Today (free)
Yesterday (free)
Past 30 days
Last 12 months
Advanced search
Subscribe now and get free archives

Low Airfares.
More Choices.
Cars & Hotels.
All at Orbitz!

Need help filing your taxes? Find a CPA online.

feedback | help | site map | advertising | globe archives
© 2004 The New York Times Company

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Had a hard time getting that link to open, so I went google to the Boston Globe and the story was the sites opening page.

Truly tragic that idiots like these have guns while others struggle to drive home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.