Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all-
just built a new coolerdor on monday to accomadate boxes that i don't have room for. it's an igloo 128qt marine cooler. i lined most of it, about 3/4's, with 1/8th inch spanish cedar. i have an oasis running in it now and since monday night.
anyone know how long it takes to get up to proper rh, 65% or so? am i just being impatient, or should it take longer than a regular humi? i can see where it would since it's not all cedar, but just thought i'd ask the experts.
thanx for any input
jimmy

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A cooler... shouldn't take more than a couple days with the cedar in there. Well sealing coolers hardly lose any humidity at all. I use the the same cooler w/o any extra cedar. Having a good amount of boxes in there will be sufficient.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i quarantine my new cigars for a couple of months rather than freeze them <<shock>>. i just put the new cigar boxes in a cooler without any credo... nada, zilch, zero. a few weeks ago i got a few boxes and stuck them in an empty cooler... i checked a few hours later and the rh was up to 75%. so, i put the cigars in different boxes, ones that have been sitting out, and the rh dropped slowly over days to about 70%. it stayed that way for about a week or so. i just added an empty box and the rh is about 68% now. moral #1- you don't have to wait at all with a cooler. moral #2- what you have to watch for is the rh getting too high- err on the dry side.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm, sounds good to me. i guess what i'll do is just break it in by stuffing the boxes i have in there now.
keeping an eye that it doesnt get too high.
thanx for the info!
jimmy

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey all-
now that i have my power back i decided to tend to my new coolerdor. i noticed that the velcro i used to hang/line it with cedar gave way, i assume because of the humidity level. any suggestions on how to make it stay up? i figured i would want to stay away from glues, adhesives, or anything with possible chemicals in it.
thanx for any input.
jimmy

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey all-
i just wanted to bump this thread back up and ask this question. i borrowed a hot glue gun from a friend today. it's a simple contraption with these foot long "glue sticks", feels like a wax right now. does anyone know if these are definitely safe to use, the hot glue sticks, to hold the cedar to the inside of the cooler? and will this hot glue be enough to hold the thin cedar to the plastic?
thanx for any input
jimmy

·
Registered
585 Posts
i used the heavy 3M kind, stickin fine so far. be sure the area your sticking it to is clean, and that your using a rough part of the wood to adhere to the tape better.

actually i just ordered a Haier today, so soon i will have MAXIMUM TEMP CONTROL, thanks Edisonbird!!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
it's a wine fridge, edisonbird was kind enough to give me an awesome set of directions on how to set it up for a solid storage solution. i will post pix and faq when its all up and running.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Humidor Question

The Igloodor sounds great.. but I have a question on my regular humidor. I purchased this 500 count standing humidor from Thompsons a little over 2 years ago. When I first got it.. you could smell the cedar inside.. just like a walk in at the mall.. it was great.. but NOW.. you cannot tell it is cedar at all... ANYBODY have any ideas why that is? I monitor humidity very closely.. NO I do NOT rotate my stock.. WHAT STOCK.. remember the 40.00 budget a month.. :r But I am curious about why it nolonger has a cedar smell to it? Is it me.. or the more you hang around cigar groups.. the more intricate the questions... who the heck SMELLS there humidor anyways? :r I know it sounds silly.. but just wondering if I did something wrong to it.. or what. I keep the RH at 68 to 70%.

Thanks " AGAIN"
Someday I may actually run out of questions :p

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mikey your humidor not smelling of cedar as strong as it did when you first bought it is natural in all wood that is sawn or sanded. Although I am not a humidor expert, but I do have alot of experience with wood. The pores in the wood that is exposed to air will naturally degrade the aroma over time. If you were to sand the wood, the smell would come back by exposing new wood on the suface to let the aroma out. I'm not sugesting you sand your humidor interior, but 4 or 5 new boxes of cigars made from cedar will give you some cedar smell.... Any excuse to buy more cigars should be a good one.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey all,

Since I'm relativly new to this particular fine thing in life, (Been enjoying it for about a year and a half), I have a question of the more knowledgable in the group. Is it necessary to line your coolidors with cedar? I recently finished building a humidor/wine closet that will hold all our precious stock, but I expect to outgrow it soon. Untill now we've been keeping the cigars we wish to age for a while in a seperate cooler and I was considering keeping the "ageing" stock in the cooler and transferring the "ready to smoke" stock to the closet. I keep them in the boxes they come in. Should I line the coolidor with spanish cedar? Or is that over kill?

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
SDAndy said:
...is that over kill?
overkill?? LMAO... no... you will soon outgrow every possible space you have reserved for your cigars. (take Mo for instance :D ) just line your house in cedar... take that spare bedroom & convert it into an aging room, the dining room into a rolling room... complete with 2 cuban virgins (think of the possibilities) and the living room into a smoking room.

Just let me know when you've completed it and i'll come visit :r

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
I would imagine that you didn't do anything wrong, it is just that the oils in the cedar escape from the surface of the wood. In the cedar that I installed in a walk in cloths closet, it was recommended that the surfae of the wood be lightly sanded every once and a while. I would guess that it would be the same with spanish cedar. I don't think it would hurt to try lightly sanding the inside with some fine, maybe 180 or 200, sand paper. Maybe some of the guys with walk in cigar closets would know;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts