Cigar Forums banner

New Conputer build, throw your .02 in

864 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  BillH 
#1 ·
So my old laptop is just about done. It's had a good run, I bought it back in '11, it was a drop model gaming laptop.

I use it mostly to type up proposals, look at blueprints (PDF) and play a RTS or a 'grand strategy' game every once in a blue moon.

I'm piecing together a new one and while a $500 desktop would be fine for what I do since all the games I play are generally old, I decided to go not all out, but take it pretty far. I need an opinion on what else I should get as far as components. The

Here's what I have so far:
*Ryzen 5 1600 (still have 3 weeks left to return)
*ASRock AB350 motherboard (bought with a CPU in a package deal for $35, 3 weeks left to return)
*EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

Memory I'm looking at: 16gb 3000 mhz ~$150
Or 16gb 2400 MHz ~100

Don't have anything else & haven't really begun to look but since I'm making the jump from a laptop, I need to get EVERYTHING.

I'm also looking at several different white cases with windows on the side to match my office.

What do you all think?

See less See more
#3 ·
Your CPU/Board and Graphics card look good, as has been said, faster Ram is good.
You still need Hard Drives, suggest a SSD for your operating system and a nice fast SATA drive for data storage.

Reactions: 5280Nomad
#5 ·
Thanks for the input guys, didn't think I was gonna get any action after a few days. So I ended up getting the Samsung 960 m.2 even before you suggested it bgz, I'm wondering if I should have thrown down another hundo er so for a bigger one.. I got the 250gb ssd, also I was kicking around in my mind, and even googled, how much the average person would need storage wise. I may throw in a 50$ hdd just to be safe, maybe in another year or so get another ssd. I'm not too hung up on it.

I'm excited to try out the m.2, it'll be a huge jump from the hdd that's in my laptop now.

I ordered the s340 elite by nzxt that seems to be the most popular for a build like this. Almost got the fractal r5 with the glass panel but I couldn't find the white one in stock anywhere. Also I swapped out the motherboard for the gigabyte b350 with rgb(cuz rgb is the s**t). And Geil 3000mhz memory, any higher and it mightn't have worked for the processor. Gotta 500w power supply, you guys think that's enough? The higher estimate puts it at something like 380-390. I wonder if the graphics card will suck down all that juice if get into a graphic heavy game?

Pictures to follow when the case gets in and it gets built.

#6 ·
Some good parts. I always like to go a little bigger on the power supply just because I don't like pushing them too hard. Power supply is always the first thing to go.

I went with the Enthoo Pro on my latest case... oh ya, CPU fan, don't forget that.

I just built this one not too long ago. i7 4400k / gtx 1080.

Attachments

#7 ·
Beautiful, I see you got the FTW graphics card that comes with the colored lights & the CPU fan matching the case fans. Nice touch. Like the color scheme.

The cpu cooler that I have came with the processor. I bought 2 extra fans, bringing the total to 4. More than enough as long as I don't overclock which I don't think I'll do (don't have the know how or need really) unless I get into a goofy, my computer is faster than yours stint.

Yeah, most of the estimates put power usage around 325, with the higher one being just a bit more like I said up there ^.

Enjoy your weekend guys & thanks for the input.

Cheers

#9 ·
I finally got it all strung together a couple weeks ago. I tried building it myself but I fried the motherboard b/c I missed one standoff. Then the power supply was bad after the motherboard was swapped out. Luckily enough, Microcenter is easy to deal with when it comes to returns.

I give up at the end of it and spent $8 on the keyboard and mouse, I'm thankful that was the end of the line for parts.

What do ya think?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.