Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Hmm... You don't really need to worry about cleaning it like a briar... I gave mine a salt treatment and messed it up a bit... Alcohol is great for briars or even meers, but keep it away from the bowl of the cob. The shank is fine though, as is the stem (obviously... Just plastic). You may want to consider a forever stem though, even if after you try it for awhile to see if you like it.

Enjoy!

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Unless you are Mark Twain you don't need to worry too much about break-in. At least my three didn't really seem to need a break-in.

You do need to clean them though. I smoked one twice a day for two weeks straight without cleaning. It turned pretty nasty and the bowl was lined with tar/goop. I spent a couple of minute and "reamed" the bowl with paper towel wadded up and soaked Barcadi 151. That took the bowl back down to the charred waffle pattern of the cob itself. If you do this be careful not to get it on the rim or sides of the cob though as it will remove some of the yellow color that develops with use. I also used a pipe cleaner soaked in the rum to clean out the plastic stem. After that the pipe was a good as new. Well, almost. The wood they use for the shank is pretty soft and poorly finished inside. The rum made it expand and the stem wouldn't fit anymore. I dried it for weeks but still the stem wouldn't fit so I had to take a pen knife and hog out the shank just a bit. NOW it's as good as new.

EDIT: If you chose to pitch the filter the draw will be very very open. Not a bad thing but it is a different experience than the cheaper and even mid-range briars.

· Registered
673 Posts
The only thing you'll notice is a bit of a corny-sweet taste the first couple of bowls. The first few times you smoke the wooden stem will char up, so a turpentiney taste will indicate you're near the end of the bowl. (I generally give it a few good puffs at that point and let the hot ash sit on the shank until it cools). Once the shank is charred nicely all you'll taste is the tobacco.
I'm not sure I know anyone who uses the paper filters, although they might help a little bit to start to buffer tongue bite or juice. Without the filter the big open draw makes cobs great smokers.

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
Don, from the other thread pic, it looks like you have the MM Country Gentleman.. My personal favorite of the entire line. It should serve you well... Congrats!
One of my Prides just cracked the other day! Toast, I'm afraid. I dropped it in the driveway a few weeks back and it just sort of split open after a few more smokes. Looks like I'll have to get a CG to replace it. Hey, at least it wasn't one of my Sasieni's! :lol:

I've been saying I was smoking one of my Legends all this time, but I had three Prides, not Legends. What a dummox, eh?

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
Some say the Prides smoke better as they are uncoated and have a natural finish. I prefer the Legends between the two however. It's just a personal thing.
Looks like the top is a little thicker, which I would prefer I think. Maybe I'll get one of those and a CG. That'll give me a Diplomat, a Patriot, two Legends and a Pride. :tu

· Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm thinking to Break it in properly...:hmm:

You should Puff one of your better sticks to the NUB!....And finish it up with that there New Cob! :smoke2::pipe:

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
Looks like the top is a little thicker, which I would prefer I think. Maybe I'll get one of those and a CG. That'll give me a Diplomat, a Patriot, two Legends and a Pride. :tu
So much for that idea. The MM company website doesn't want to take Discover or ****** today. Just won't DO it! Puzzling.

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
So much for that idea. The MM company website doesn't want to take Discover or ****** today. Just won't DO it! Puzzling.
What a SNAFU! They take an order over the phone then don't take your email address so you can find out if it even filled! :shocked: Or even if the credit card went through this time -- you know, the one that didn't work online! :ask:

Be my last cob order from there! :frusty: Really wish I'd just hung up. Even forced me to change my password on ppal for NO GOOD REASON! What an incredible waste of time. The price of these cobs just went up to about $30 apiece.

Ah. The stuff I filled out online must have filtered through. I got an email! I feel a little better.

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
Jim, try here... mars cigars & pipes - Corncob

Better prices than the MM website and great Customer Service. No affiliation, just like the site.
Oh well. Too late. I've ordered from mars before and had great service. Really a shame, actually, because I needed pipe cleaners! Could have thrown in a some tobacco and got free shipping. Just a bad day, I guess. (Some start for my 68th birthday, eh? :lol:)

· Registered
740 Posts
Oh well. Too late. I've ordered from mars before and had great service. Really a shame, actually, because I needed pipe cleaners! Could have thrown in a some tobacco and got free shipping. Just a bad day, I guess. (Some start for my 68th birthday, eh? :lol:)
Happy Birthday! You know if I took my age and doubled it, and then added 10 years I'd be as old as y..... Wait, nevermind.

I got mine from pipesandcigars. I'm with you the MM site is crazy. I couldn't keep anything in my shopping cart when I tried to order online. Then I registered and I could keep things in my cart but it would refuse to let me check out. I am glad I ordered from somewhere else because I sent them an email about it and never heard back from them.

· Sot-weed Bohemian
8,944 Posts
Happy Birthday! You know if I took my age and doubled it, and then added 10 years I'd be as old as y..... Wait, nevermind.

I got mine from pipesandcigars. I'm with you the MM site is crazy. I couldn't keep anything in my shopping cart when I tried to order online. Then I registered and I could keep things in my cart but it would refuse to let me check out. I am glad I ordered from somewhere else because I sent them an email about it and never heard back from them.
Thanks, Joe! Glad to hear it wasn't just me having a "senior moment" or something. :biglaugh:

· Old Man
1,524 Posts
Happy Birthday Jim....from one old fart to another.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.