Cigar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up last Tuesday while on vacation and this is my first chance to sit in front of a PC and give it a review.

'Train of Thought' took about 3 spins to hook me and after 10 spins, it simply is a magnificant album. 7 songs, 77 minutes - and these are some of their shortest songs in four years.

The amazing thing about Dream Theater is they have yet made the same album twice. Each new release has brought us something different from the last, yet there is no denying that your hearing a DT album. Four years ago, they made a progressive CD that was basically one 77 minute song (or story), then two years ago a 2-CD set, one CD had 6 songs over 60 minutes in total time and the other CD was one 6 part song about the same length.

I think many people forget that "progressive" music should be about changing, taking from all genre's and making something magical happen. "ToT" features colorings from Nu-Metal, Aggro, Thrash, Prog Rock and touches of Fusion to create some exciting new music.

This album has some extremely thought-provoking lyrics, beautiful dark melodies, and some of the best shredding JP has ever done. From beginning to end it is a non-stop roller coaster of brutal riffs, insane drums, keys and solos. The only breather here is the song 'Vacant' which is a slow melodic track. There is no weak point on this album. So, if you like the metal side of DT, you will love this. If not, don't rip them for being too heavy because it was DT's intent to produce a classic metal album, and that they have done, brilliantly.

In simple terms Train of Thought is DT with a loud splashing of Metallica and a dash of early Rush.

I'll give this one an A - highly recommended.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I've got an old Dream Theater CD or two from 7 or 8 years ago. I haven't listened to too much rock music in the last few years so I've gotten kind of out of touch. I remember them as being capable of some mad musicality. I think I'll have to look for it and give it a listen again.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw these guys perform most of this album on March 17 in St Louis and as good as it sounds on a disc, it's even better in concert.
After seeing it live and over a couple of hundred listens since released last Nov, this one has moved to the A+ category.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm gonna be seeing them on Monday here in DC....can't wait...didn't get to see them on the Six Degrees tour, so GREATLY looking forward to this show!!!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wish I had seen them on the local circuit of KC - STL - Mil & Chicago instead of just the one show in STL. They opened the second act with 22 minutes of A Change Of Seasons and that made my night.
Have a great time and enjoy the show!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I heard in one of the Cali shows in March, since it was the 15th anniversary of when dream and day unite, they played the whole album straight through for their second set...I would have LOVED to have seen that show!!!!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it was in LA 3 weeks ago today. When the tour was first announced I was going to fly out and see that show, but then when the final US part came out, they had added STL, so I drove down there instead. The original lead singer came out for the encore.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, good ol' Charlie Dominici. I checked out his website. Apparently he's got a new album coming out soon. That should be interesting.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just a follow up post...the show was GREAT....awesome... played two sets...

Set 1 - As I Am, This Dying Soul, Fatal Tragedy, Hollow Years, Endless Sacrifice, Caught in a Web, Finally Free

Set 2 - Trial of Tears, Honor Thy Father, Only a Matter of Time, Vacant, Stream of Consciousness, Pull Me Under

Encore - In the Name of God

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here was the set list from the St Louis show:
As I Am
This Dying Soul
Caught in a Web
Piano Solo
Through My Words
Fatal Tragedy
Hollow Years
Instrumental Jam (including tribute to Frank Zappa)
Under a Glass Moon
Endless Sacrifice

Intermission

A Change of Seasons (full 23 minutes)
Another Day
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
Stream of Consciousness
In the Name of God

Encore:
Metropolis part 1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts