Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its time to replace my car. My employer requires we get a new car every 3 years, so the time is here.
Problem is I'm torn between 2 cars. Anyone have any positive or negative input on either of the cars below? Facts, not rumors please. TIA!

2004 BMW M3
2004 Audi S4

·
Registered
239 Posts
think i read in an issue of car and driver this year about 4 or 5 cars in that category including these 2 and audi won the review/contest. you may be able to find the article somewhere. i know i was really looking at the a4 but i live so far away from the retailers i got my grand prix instead.

·
Registered
756 Posts
poker-
i have an 02 m3. waited a year on the waiting list to get it. was one of the first in the states to get the m3 with the smg2 transmission. i absolutely love this car! i can't say enough about it. i have driven a lot of fast cars when i was growing up, and had a lot of neat toys since i have been an adult, but my m3 is the best thing i have ever owned.
more info and praise can be provided upon request:D
jimmy

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would perfer the M3 but if you want a sleeper car that noone expects to be outragously fast then I would go for the Audi. I can't wait until the day I get out of college and can afford a nice fast car like that:)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Enya.

I agree with the Audi S4 being a wolf in sheeps clothing is appealing. A 4.2L 340hp motor hiding under the hood of a car the size of a VW Jetta makes me drool, but I'm leaning towards the M3 for a few reasons. One being Audi's history of reliability issues.
That plus the M3 just gives me a woody.:D

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
on a serious note, i have had the opportunity to drive both (via a valet job), as well as the experience of working on german cars since i was in the 7th grade (ive always had an interest, and was given a job starting with changing oil, etc and working my way up). my heart goes with the audi because i love the cars that are less known, but my brain goes with the bmw. you cant argue with a car that has been praised by most every auto source as the top car (along with the nissan skyline). Both cars offer remarkable performance, and though I tend to favor audi because of their recent commitment to performance (whereas bmw has been selling out to the 318 and suv crowd), i dont think you will be disappointed with either pick. both offer outstanding products with warrenty's to match (as well as temp cars should anything happen), so my suggestion would be not to care what the band says, but rather to go out, smoke the tires, and see which flavor you prefer. either way you will not be disappointed. oh, and if you need anyone to park it....im your man

·
Registered
756 Posts
That plus the M3 just gives me a woody.
no doubt! i think i have one now just thinking about mine.
poker- is there not a waiting list out there for this car? like i said i was on a waiting list for just under a year with a dealership in PA.

jimmy

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just found out theres a local dealer that has 2 2004 M3's on the lot, but not in the color I'm looking for. Salesman didnt think it would be a problem getting one this month the way I want it outfitted.:D
Going tomorrow to check it out & run some numbers.:)

·
Registered
756 Posts
damn man, lucky you. the dealerships get 1 a month here, if that. and there is always a waiting list. but i did get it customized and not have to settle for a color, if that makes me feel any better:D

jimmy

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
BMW all the way....

I've known of folks who have recently owned brand new Audi's with problems here and there. Personally, I would buy the M3 and pull the M3 badges. Then I would put them back when selling it:cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Dear old Mom has a new A4 with the large engine. It goes like the wind and handles like a dream. I've driven lots of BMWs and must say that unless you're looking on the top end (7Series) go for the Audi. The price comparison is great too. On the low end you can get cloth seats with a turbo for around 26K if you shop.
You gotta love the 4 wheel drive. It's great in the snow

I hope that you will be able to get through such a difficult life situation. When faced with such terrible decision you should count your blessings and find the best car that someone else is going to pay for, regardless of which is the "snobiest" of the two.

P.S. Get a sun roof to let the cigar smoke out!

·
Bacon Lover
808 Posts
I have a poor mans M3 (325i) and I love it.
All I know is that I would KILL to have the M3! Sure it has a little less HP, but its just as fast as the audi - plus there is no denying that it is a much better looking car.
Go for the M3!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
623 Posts
Kelly when you get that BMW and two months down the line you get a check brake lights warning, call me first before anything (don't go to the dealer). I have the only solution. other that that recuring problem in several BMW's in my family, all have been great cars.:D

·
Registered
585 Posts
i used to own a heavily modified S4, (380hp/410ft lbs) fantastic car, traction was quattro, comfortable interior, etc. The service center was crapola though, i was forced to do all the repairs elsewhere or myself.

I find BMW's to be a more refined vehicle then audi. Granted quattro is great, but NOTHING beats a solid bmw for the money. I would do the M3 with a regular 6 speed, forget the SMG. Also it looks great in white, with saddle. My father just picked up a 745 and that thing is a monster car, vs a benz it is a far better value.

But poker i gotta level with you, forget that new car nonsense:D grab a 96-97 C4S, slap on a turbo conversion with a nice intercooler and that's bliss.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go with the BMW.

Now how about suggestions for a new SUV - Acura MDX, Mercedes M Series, BMW X5, or Toyota Sequoia? Other suggestions in the medium-large range? Don't want a compact or jumbo.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts