Cigar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering if any of you computer guys out there can help me. since we got it, our router (Netgear fvs318) will reboot itself on its own. Now it wont even stay on long enough to open a web page before it reboots. is it fried, or is there something i can do...thanks

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I have the same router & never had a problem with it. If possible, you may want to take it back if under warranty.
Never heard of one rebooting/reinitializing on its own unless the power connector is bad. Might try a different power supply & see if its that or the router itself.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
606 Posts
What operating system are you using? What version of IE are you using? What was the last thing you added to the system (both hardware and software). When you say the router is "rebooting" what does that entail? Is your computer rebooting or is the router just losing power?

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
power is ok, the router never actually loses power. it will go into its initialization...where all the lights turn on. then WOULD work again for a couple hours. now, it is constantly initializing or rebooting itself. the computer is fine. im running xp and ie 6.0, but even without the internet connected the router wont "stabalize" long enough to get a connection. we cant share files over the network or anything.

nothing was added to the system. it never worked perfectly, but now it has given up completely.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
606 Posts
From The Netgear Website

Have you tried to update the firmware on this router?

Troubleshooting the FVS318 Router
This describes how to resolve common problems.

Intermittent Internet Connectivity

In older firmware, the NAT table can overflow when there is heavy traffic between the LAN and the Internet. Overflows cause a momentary interruption of connection. Upgrade to the latest firmware to avoid this.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tried to update it once, helped a bit (time between reboots seemed to be longer), but now i cant get it up and running long enough to change the configuration....i guess its a lost cause. ill try to send it in, but we dont have the receipt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts