Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering if we have any other gorilla's here who are members of NETFLIX.

I was just thinking that since so many of us here frequent the movies quite often it would be cool for the Netflix members to share movies they think are worth watching. Netflix has that new "Friends" feature that I've been wanting to try.

So if anybody here is on Netflix and wants to be my friend (that sounds so pathetic ;) ) just shoot me a PM and I'll put you on my friends list.

Thanx,
Dustin

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I watch a lot of movies, so I've been thinking about it. I've got a friend who subscribes to NETFLIX & he recommended it to me, but since I'm starting this new business & have no idea how much I will be home, I will probably wait a while to see what my schedule is going to be like.
Maybe sometime.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
Sounds interesting Dustin,I'll bring that up to wifey.We love watching movies,and get back to ya's.Ms. floydp is at the theatre now watching Racing Stripes with our grandson.. :w

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, its a pretty good service KHat and I've found movies that I've never seen on the shelves @ Blockbuster.

And with the "technology" that I use to "watch" the movies my DVD collection has increased exponentially with very little overhead cost.:D

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
Cool, its a pretty good service KHat and I've found movies that I've never seen on the shelves @ Blockbuster.

And with the "technology" that I use to "watch" the movies my DVD collection has increased exponentially with very little overhead cost.:D
Is there alot of mail time with Netflix? We don't know anyone that uses it but it does sound like something we'd be interested in. I'm just not sure exactly how it works.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ms FloydP,

it works somethin' like this. You log on and put movies on your list that you want to watch. Netflix calls it your "Queue". I have over 264 movies on my Queue right now. It only takes 1-2 days to get the movies sent to me. They send you the first 3 movies on your list and you return 'em whenever you'd like. When you decide you want new ones you mail 'em back in the same little envelope they send you. It takes about a day for my movies to get back to the home office. They send you a confirmation email and then mail out your next 3. You can return them in any order you'd like so you don't have to return all 3 at once.

I usually get around 15-17 movies a month since my way of "watching" them only takes about 45 minutes per movie :D So I quadruple my DVD Collection every month for only $17 plus "Supplies":D

Its really a great deal. For the price of 1 movie at Wally World I get about 15-17.

·
Registered
132 Posts
xxx pretty much summed it up. netflix has pretty much everything thats been released on to dvd, although there are definitely some things that have not made it yet. the mail turnaround isnt too bad if you watch em and mail em in a timely manner.

the only drawback is if you are predisposed to be spontaneous about your movie watching, because you have to plan ahead a little bit and wait for your selection.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ms. Floydp said:
Is there alot of mail time with Netflix? We don't know anyone that uses it but it does sound like something we'd be interested in. I'm just not sure exactly how it works.
Ms. Floydp,

The closest Netflix distribution center to you is Charlottesville. I live about the same distance from C'ville as you do, but the other way. Netflix estimates the delivery date when they ship each movie and their estimate is usually 2 days from the C'ville facility (Excecp if a Sunday is involved). Every once in a while it arrives the next day, but most often 2 days each way is accurate.

We watch a lot of movies, so we have the "5 At a Time" service so that with the ones in transit, we rarely go more than a day without a new one coming in.

We've seen over 300 through Netflix and have not once had one lost in the mail. Maybe a dozen of those 300 were not playable (Scratches on the DVD, etc.,) but they now get one on the way to you as soon as you report it.

I LOVE Netflix, because we save a buttload in late fees plus it's nice not having to drive 100 mph to get to the store 5 minutes before they close (Which we ALWAYS seemed to do.)

Also, because you don't pay per-movie, I am much more willing to try movies I never would have rented otherwise. I've gotten a couple of stinkers, but there have been some amazing movies I would have passed on at a video store (The Station Agent, In America, The Fog of War, The House of Sand and Fog, and others...) Did I mention The Station Agent? If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. GREAT movie

Netflix has a free trial peiod. My advice is to give it a shot. If you watch more than 4 or 5 movies a month, it's worth it.

My $.02

-Quixote

·
Registered
756 Posts
i love the netflix service. i highly recommend it. i've been a customer for about 2 years now i think. turn around time for me is perfect. i put a movie in the mailbox monday morning, and have the new one on wednesday usually, and i live out in the middle of farmland where mail usually runs a day or two behind.

jimmy

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
I usually get around 15-17 movies a month since my way of "watching" them only takes about 45 minutes per movie :D So I quadruple my DVD Collection every month for only $17 plus "Supplies":D
Are you a speed watcher or what? :r

It does sound like a pretty good deal. We've talked about doing it before. Now, I don't know about writing any reviews or anything but I could definantly let you know if we liked it or not and what we liked about it.

Count us in.

Ms. Floydp

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually Ms FloydP all you need to do is rate the movie you watched at Netflix. You rate the movies on a scale of 1-5 stars and with the friends thing it shows me how you rated a certain movie and you can give a quick 2 sentence review on whether or not you think I will like it. You will also get to see the movies I have rated and you might get to watch something that you wouldn't normally watch. Its cool check out the website for more info.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Quixote said:
Ms. Floydp,

The closest Netflix distribution center to you is Charlottesville. I live about the same distance from C'ville as you do, but the other way. Netflix estimates the delivery date when they ship each movie and their estimate is usually 2 days from the C'ville facility (Excecp if a Sunday is involved). Every once in a while it arrives the next day, but most often 2 days each way is accurate.

We watch a lot of movies, so we have the "5 At a Time" service so that with the ones in transit, we rarely go more than a day without a new one coming in.

We've seen over 300 through Netflix and have not once had one lost in the mail. Maybe a dozen of those 300 were not playable (Scratches on the DVD, etc.,) but they now get one on the way to you as soon as you report it.

I LOVE Netflix, because we save a buttload in late fees plus it's nice not having to drive 100 mph to get to the store 5 minutes before they close (Which we ALWAYS seemed to do.)

Also, because you don't pay per-movie, I am much more willing to try movies I never would have rented otherwise. I've gotten a couple of stinkers, but there have been some amazing movies I would have passed on at a video store (The Station Agent, In America, The Fog of War, The House of Sand and Fog, and others...) Did I mention The Station Agent? If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and watch it. GREAT movie

Netflix has a free trial peiod. My advice is to give it a shot. If you watch more than 4 or 5 movies a month, it's worth it.

My $.02

-Quixote
Thanks for all the great advise guys. I was wondering how much mail time it would take to receive the movies.

We sure do watch alot of movies and I can't tell you how excited this household was to hear THE END OF LATE FEES!! I can't ever get a movie back on time. Now I have to worry about getting it back before the 7th day after the due date or you have to buy it. I'm sure we'll get charged for some movies.

How does it work with new movies? Can you move up the movies that you want to see and stuff?

And the best part, you don't have to go anywhere!! Sounds great to me! Now to sell the Mr. on it, which I'm sure won't be a problem. He loves movies too.

The Station Agent huh?

Ms. Floydp

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:
Actually Ms FloydP all you need to do is rate the movie you watched at Netflix. You rate the movies on a scale of 1-5 stars and with the friends thing it shows me how you rated a certain movie and you can give a quick 2 sentence review on whether or not you think I will like it. You will also get to see the movies I have rated and you might get to watch something that you wouldn't normally watch. Its cool check out the website for more info.
Kewl!!! It sounds like fun and we sure will look into it. Hopefully by weeks end we'll be receiving movies too.

We just watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night and what a great movie!! It seemed a little hard to follow to begin with but it all came together very nicely.

Ms. Floydp

·
Registered
662 Posts
Well netflix lets you do the first couple weeks for free so just try it, I'm hooked. It's very convenient and they have a HUGE selection. I like wierd stuff- anime, documentaries etc- and in my little town they don't have that stuff so Net flix is great because I can find those obscure movies- plus you can be more spontaneous in selection because you aren't paying 3 bucks to rent and risking late fees for a movie you don't even like. If you don't like it, put it in the mailbox.

And you can still spontaneously rent a movie here and there at the video store- but you rarely will with Net Flix. That's what's so cool.

Net flix should pay us all for the promo we're doing here.
-eef

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
LasciviousXXX said:

Its really a great deal. For the price of 1 movie at Wally World I get about 15-17.
HMMMMM wonder what your talking about?????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.