347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Details: Don Pepin Blended
Wrapper: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Size: 6X60 King Poseidon
Cost: $11.50

Prelight:(10) The first thing of attraction is the large and fancy band that is embossed and has a lot of detail. It is really a very unique design that is both attractive and eye catching. The next best thing is the wrapper which is deep, dark and toothy. It is also well applied with a very well done triple cap. Under the light there are glittery specs on wrapper most likely from the shale in the rich soil that the tobacco was grown. There is a nice dank smell to the wrapper which eludes to a pretty satisfying smoke. The cigar itself is very firm from top to bottom and after cutting the cap I noted that the prelight draw was pretty firm and there was not much taste to the prelight draw. 10/10

Flavor & Aroma:
(15) 1st 3rd: This cigar starts semi-sweet and smooth with medium/full bodied smoke and some nice wood in the aroma. There is a little pepper on the finish but not as much as with the typical Pepin blends. The wrapper is a little acidic and I hope this isn't going to turn into a sour cigar that burns my lips. By the end of the 1st 3rd this cigar had settled into a nice rich tobacco core with little peripheral complexity. 13/15
(15) 2nd 3rd: The smoke remains relatively rich and very smooth. The acidity hasn't become problematic yet and has faded if anything. Much to my dismay there is still no real complexity. There is not too much on the finish. There is some pepper floating around in the flavor profile but nothing major and the aroma remains consistent with my notes above. 13/15
(15) Final 3rd: Still very smooth. If anything the body has actually mellowed out a little. The acidity is pretty mild as well. The core flavor of a rich earthy tobacco remains the feature flavor. This cigar has had a nice retro-hale all along. As I close in on the nub I am getting more pepper up front and through the nose now. The finish is still pretty clean though and has remained this way throughout the whole ordeal. 13/15

Construction & Burn:
(10) 1st 3rd: Starts a little tight and it takes a couple puffs to get it going. It was burning great though and the volume was good as long as I didn't try to sip just once. 9/10

(10) 2nd 3rd: Still a little tight but by the halfway point the cigar had heated up enough and it was rolling well. It was now giving up good volume and sporting a great burn. 9/10

(10) Final 3rd: This cigar performed very well. The draw and burn are perfect now and although it got a little wavy near the nub it was never an issue. I ended up nubbing it about 2 hours and 15 minutes in. 10/10

Thoughts:(15) Not much complexity but a good smooth rich cigar. Not worth the price I paid for sure though and I doubt I will be seeking it out again due to it's price tag. I feel that many $5 cigars beat this out any day with regards to complexity and overall enjoyment. Although I didn't dislike this cigar at all it wasn't mind blowing or even fantastic. Based on price/satisfaction ratio I can only give this cigar 12/15

Final: 89

·
Reincarnated Hobbit
153 Posts
Great review! I'd notch the rating up a little bit (by my taste), but I had the Divine/toro. Lots of chocolate and earth flavor with a bit of sweetness, but also not as peppery or complex as other Pepin blends.

I'll agree with you on the price. If these were taken down a dollar or two, I think they'd be box-worthy medium-full stick. Still definitely worth a try...which is basically a rule with DPG! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Wow, I didn't know this was a Nestor Miranda stick! This is a really nice review and while I haven't actually tried it is on my list of sticks. If it were a bit cheaper I probably would have just picked up a box, but as it stands now I will definitely check out some singles first.

$11.50 is a bit high, but that is a lot of cigar! I would expect the Toro to be inside of $10.

·
Banned
17,955 Posts
Typically good review Brad and always enjoy a really well presented anatomy of a cigar I admit to not trying. While I have smoked plenty of Nestor Miranda cigars this one has escaped me and I can see from the price....that's why. Maybe at some point I can catch a 5 pak for less than $25 ( in the foreseeable future )and if so I will buy it and test it out in the next year. I see that this cigar is now just making the rounds as it's pretty new and the reviews are favorable...complex and pepper without it being a 'pepper stick'...add some leather towards the middle to end and one person tasted a honey nut flavor. Cocoa was also listed in it's taste profile so that alone interests me in that it's a complex cigar. That cigar band is not going to be something that is copied and usually to get something that ornate ends up costing the consumer for that kind of artwork...wish they'd just have done a decent band and saved the customer a buck or two.

How long was it in your humidor before sparking it up? I like to have an idea as to how long it was in a stable environment before it was lit up and sacrificed for this review.

·
Immature Pufferfish
2,507 Posts
Hrmm, premium price but does not really deliver the goods. Nice band though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.