Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas eve, I'm a noob. Just a quick decision. I'm getting into cigars. There is a flash sale for the needone 48L heat/cool cigar coolidor. Should I jump on it even though I don't need it yet. I feel like 269 is a great pickup and just stash it after making sure it works. Put all cedar drawers in it. I have a 20-25 desk humidor seasoning now. But I've read nothing but it's easy to outgrow one especially when buying a box or a 5 pack here and there.

I will do a proper intro on here but figured a flash sale is time sensitive.

· Retired Chaos Designer
14,717 Posts
I don’t know anything about that until so not sure if that’s a deal or not. A lot of the guys that I know end up unpluging everything eventually in order to stabilize em, I use regular coolers myself, but if you’ve got the disposable income and feel like this is something you’re going to stick with, go for it!

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t know anything about that until so not sure if that’s a deal or not. A lot of the guys that I know end up unpluging everything eventually in order to stabilize em, I use regular coolers myself, but if you’ve got the disposable income and feel like this is something you’re going to stick with, go for it!
I ordered it. I actually dont need the heater part cause my house stays 69-70 in winter because of my heater. Summer time in CA it gets hot but keep my AC at 75* so ill have to use it to keep it 69-70 during summer. otherwise ill unplug it in winter

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my plan is to order 5 drawers for it.. and them down from 3 inches to 2 inches tall to give more space for airflow to help keep the humidity pretty stable from top to bottom.. so maybe instead of 3 cigars stacked high in the drawers i might be able to get 2... thats way plenty for me. It will still hold so much more than ill ever need over time.. i think!

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
received it.. Beautiful looking machine, except it wouldnt stop cooling. LOL ambiant temp was 66-67.... had the unit set to 74 so it wouldnt cool just fan to circulate, but cooling is stuck on, was getting constant voltage... so Im returning it tomorrow. Already placed an order for a new one. same one but this one is actually Heating and cooling model. not just the cooling one.

· Registered
Cigar
37 Posts
Congrats, I was given the 23L cooling only model for Christmas and have found that the inside temp is approximately 1 degree cooler than the temp number shown on the door. I have mine at 67 and its cooling inside at 65.5 to 66 and holding. I over-seasoned it with the Boveda 84's and it took about two days with the door cracked open a few inches to come down. I didn't help the situation by adding sticks to it right after feeling that it was well seasoned. There is a 320 gram on its way now that I plan on placing under the bottom shelf. I primarily keep Habanos in it so I got the 65% and hope that the two-way factor of their system will bring it down below 70% where it is holding right now. Oh, I also found that the square hydrometer that it comes with is approximately 10% off so it was replaced with a previously test and proven round one that I just hole sawed the main drawer to accommodate. I actually set a second round one in there on a lower shelf for safe measure.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Congrats, I was given the 23L cooling only model for Christmas and have found that the inside temp is approximately 1 degree cooler than the temp number shown on the door. I have mine at 67 and its cooling inside at 65.5 to 66 and holding. I over-seasoned it with the Boveda 84's and it took about two days with the door cracked open a few inches to come down. I didn't help the situation by adding sticks to it right after feeling that it was well seasoned. There is a 320 gram on its way now that I plan on placing under the bottom shelf. I primarily keep Habanos in it so I got the 65% and hope that the two-way factor of their system will bring it down below 70% where it is holding right now. Oh, I also found that the square hydrometer that it comes with is approximately 10% off so it was replaced with a previously test and proven round one that I just hole sawed the main drawer to accommodate. I actually set a second round one in there on a lower shelf for safe measure.
Yea 84% is expensive for the 48L I think I'm gonna do distilled water and sponges a few of them to save money on the 84% packs. Also have 320g 65% coming. Except not cool habanos. I will be using the round digital ones I have and drilling the drawers. 5 drawers total.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan on buying some Alec Bradley magic toast, oliva connecticut reserve, oliva serie v melanio, cohiba black, Cao brazilia, pardon 1926 and 1964 maduros, Dunbarton mi Querida, crowned heads la careme, and drew estate undercrown Maduro. Little packs to try.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is all based on reading reading and videos on the tube. On what I chose. I just know I have a good feeling darker wrapper will be my forte since Im into sweeter and I'm a coffee snob with regards to my espresso machine, daily espresso shots and or lattes . My coffee equipment is overboard. But just from research I have an a feeling it will be my style. But I threw in the oliva ones just to compare

· Registered
Cigar
37 Posts
Yeah, I wiped the entire plastic interior with distilled twice, there was a faint smell in the beginning that I believe was a mixture of the plastic and the wood. The shelves had a strong wood smell for several days but has died down since then. You will find that there is a sweet spot for setting your temp where it doesn't whine so much, if you care about how much sound it puts off. I keep it out in the kitchen area and glad I didn't set it up in my den because it might be a bit too much in a small space.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The one I returned didn't have much smell so I'm interested to see the replacement when it arrives tomorrow. Sound won't be an issue in my cigar lounge theme/pool table great room. It's not my main lounge area. I have desktop wood humidor my brother got me for Christmas going with 84% packs now. It has 1 more week. It was mainly to set off and finish the cigar themed room. But Ill use it for some. I'm excited to get into it. And try stuff I wanna try before I spend $$$$ on boxes that will end up not liking. Haha

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wonder how long with the 5 drawers in it and if I put a few shallow things of distilled water in it with sponges in those maybe like one in bottom drawer and one in top drawer and let the drawers absorb the moisture on their own. I'm curious to know how long it will take it gets to 65-70%.

I don't want to order a bunch of cigars until it's absolutely ready. I don't want get a delivery then have it backfire on me ahah

· Registered
Cigar
37 Posts
It comes with a little water tray for the distilled. If your set on seasoning this way then you will want the RH to get above your desired RH. I took mine to 84% for a few days. I only wiped down the drawers with an microfiber rag with distilled that I wrung out thoroughly. My 23L got to 84% in just about 48 hrs. But, as I said it was over-seasoned and then took another 48 hrs with door cracked to bring it down to 70%. There are just three small Boveda 72% bags in there now and the 65% will be here tomorrow. The temp is holding well in the 66 range with the door set at 67.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@LB Wallace, what's your take on this. My needone arrives tomorrow. I have 2 drawers that shipped. One more Tuesday. But others are a week out. Should I wait to start the water and sponges process until alll drawers are in? I'm wondering if I started with the 3 drawers. And got the 2 week late and put them in if they would suck up all the humidity and throw it off for awhile. I'd hate to put. Cigars in and then put 2 added drawers in and the draws dry everything up... Am I to worried??

· Registered
Cigar
37 Posts
Ya, wait for all drawers. Those additional ones will the thirsty. Acctually you could start seasoning now sooner and if you go over on RH the new ones will suck it down a point or two. Its up to you and how much patience you have. I helped drop mine down with some spare cedar pieces that were used in my three drawer to help drop my RH when my 23L was out of control. When the 65% shows up tomorrow they will be pulled and the Boveda will take their place at the bottom below the lowest shelf.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm ok I'll have to wait till next Monday to receive the last drawers. I was just thinking or wondering how long it would take the drawers to absorb the humidity the dishes of water with sponges and not wipe the drawers down just let them soak up the humidity in the air naturally. I figured they would suck it up or start immediately so the hygrometers would slowly rise and read proper and I'd assume once it gets to 70-75 in side. I'd assume the drawers have took it in. And I'd assume it would have equalized real time. Or no. Lol I don't know. That's above my league. Science lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts