Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, general question and if you know the answer, would like some help.
What all is involved in setting up a webcam to show a herf live?
I know about the camera part, but what about the server part?
Also about Internet access, is their a min speed?
I have a laptop we can use and can get a webcam.
We're looking at doing doing this LOLH IV this year for those that can't make it. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
831 Posts
To set up a simple webcam operation you'll need:
1. a webcam :rolleyes:
2. Upload software
3. A server that allows FTP upload
4. A program or a small piece of code that will refresh the image

Upload software is just software that send pictures to your webserver using FTP. Your webcam should have come with the software. If, for some reason, not you can find plenty of alternatives on the internet.

If you already have a website then just create a page for the webcam image to be uploaded to. If you don't then you need some server space and probably a domain name. (PM me if you need any help).

There are quite a few free programs that will automatically refresh your webcam image or you could just add a bit of code to your page that will update the page at set intervals (using JavaScript, Java or HTML meta tags).

Be aware that this is a VERY simple set-up so the image is not going to look like streaming video, but it is free to cheap and you won't have to mess with a lot of server side software.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.