Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small cabinet humidor that gives me a challenge every summer. It does not have an internal cooling device therefore I must leave the A/C on during the day. I've localized the A/C to 1 room, but would be interested in any suggestions you may have about installing a cooling device.

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
I feel your pain(or high temps) I'm in a similar situation with my cabinet. I have a 6000btu window A/C unit that keeps me cool. As far as internal cooling units, the ones I have priced are not cheap!

J.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Peltier cooler

Hey MADURO_MAS_DURO,
I have had the same problem, and have solved it by giving life to the Frankendor!
I took the top of an active-cool icechest, hooked it up to a thermostat and solid state on/off switch, and insulated the sides of the storage humi I have.
It runs reasonably well, keeps it about 68F and while there is a bit of condensation from the interior heat sink, a moisture barrier and judicious use of towels have solved that problem. If I had some time, a small tray with some oasis would solve that problem nicely.
If you are interested, post and I'l post some pics.
It's not pretty, and you do need to be able to have a surface to the air outside fo the humi which can have a hole chopped in it for this solution to work.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:D LMAO...This sounds exactly like what I was concocting in my feeble little brain. The only thing is my feeble brain is to perplexed when it comes to connecting a thermostat to a device. :confused: I would be seriously interested in viewing pictures. :al

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did finish the prototype of my controller. It works great. The big problem is to properly control temps in a humi as big as "BabiHumi" I would need a min of 1500BTU TEC.

OUCH... Its over $1200. For something like that.. Huhmm.. Maybe keeping it in the baseement isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah, it works fine in a smaller humi. You just tweak the PID settings for the controller. Sorry, I have been really busy lately with work. Haven't had much time to work on these. I do hope to get them completed soon. I will keep you posted.

Matt

The Dutch said:
What about units not as big as y...........
(Erm, scratch that, didn't like the way that was sounding)

What about smaller coolers, hows the controller work with them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts