Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in about 2 weeks I will finally get my rifle/shotgun license. I know NYC sucks when it comes to the 2nd amendment but at least I will finally get it

I need help with buying my first shotgun. Looking for 12 gage over under that I can use both for sporting clays and actual hunting.

Any recommendations ?? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wildman
531 Posts
I have owned and shot pump shotguns all my life. No more hunting for me. For clays I do prefer the over/under style. Have shot a pals Baretta over & under many times.

If buying one, I'd go to a range with a gun shop and have them help you out. Not sure how well an over & under lends itself to hunting. A good shop can advise you and make sure the gun fits you correctly.

My favorite pump 12ga for sporting clays or any clay is the Remington 870 Turkey gun.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I
What do you plan to hunt ?
So in about 2 weeks I will finally get my rifle/shotgun license. I know NYC sucks when it comes to the 2nd amendment but at least I will finally get it

I need help with buying my first shotgun. Looking for 12 gage over under that I can use both for sporting clays and actual hunting.

Any recommendations ?? Thanks in advance

Consider what your primary purpose is for the gun: self/home defense, clay shooting sports, hunting (what type of game ?) - - Consider how the gun will most likely be used most of the time & then how it’ll be used at other times. Also consider what your budget may be. There are many categories of shotguns & a wide range of prices.

Example: Years ago I shopped for an o/u that I could use for occasional trips to a sporting clays course, but also for bird hunting (primarily field hunting geese from crop fields). I chose a Browning Sporting Hunter O/U shotgun (now a discontinued model). It has 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge chambering making it a good waterfowling hunting gun while also being good for clays shooting. I probably ended up using it 90% of the time goose hunting & only 10% for sporting clays. (Actual sporting clays courses are a long drive from here.) I use other shotguns for turkey, grouse, or pheasant hunting. And a different type for home defense.
So there are lots of questions to ask yourself first before choosing the best gun for your personal needs. Do they limit how many shotguns you can own under your NYC license ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
for 12 gage over under that I can use both for sporting clays and actual hunting.
Start with the “B” guns, Browning, Beretta, Beneli. Go to a shotgun dealer, not just any ol’ local gun store (LGS). Fit is everything in shotgunning, the LGS want to sell you what he has, NOT what you need.

·
Pipe Smokin' Piranha
5,366 Posts
One vote for Mossberg. If it's good enough for the military...

Depending on what your exact purpose is for wanting a shotgun, there are so many styles to choose from.

Very few things will make a home Intruder wet their pants like the sound of a pump shotgun.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I highly recommend the Benelli 828 U for clay and hunting winged things and the Benelli M4 when you need to stop everything else.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,535 Posts
I highly recommend the Benelli 828 U for clay and hunting winged things and the Benelli M4 when you need to stop everything else.
I must piggyback on this.
If you can swing it as they are expensive.
But if you are gonna shoot a lot of clay's.
The Beretta 391 is a better choice.

It is easier on your shoulder.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I must piggyback on this.
If you can swing it as they are expensive.
But if you are gonna shoot a lot of clay's.
The Beretta 391 is a better choice.

It is easier on your shoulder.
I own a Beretta 391. Theyre an excellent shotgun.

Also, when someone completely new to the subject ask me for a shotgun recommendation, I often point them to the good ole Remington 870 pump action. Tons of new & used ones out there. Easy to maintain. Easy to find parts & accessories. Versatile & rock solid reliable. Depending on how you set yours up, you can do everything from home defense to duck or deer hunting with an 870. There are other excellent pump shotguns. But no other today has as many barrels & other accessories readily available for setting it up for your specific needs, as the 870.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
29,535 Posts
Thanks guys. That’s some great info. Will be following up after some research on the mentioned choices

Shoot what you like Like what you shoot (y):ROFLMAO::giggle:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I shoot birds with a Turkish Yildiz over and under 12ga. I love it. Very inexpensive but a lot of gun for what you pay for it!

·
Bloke with a Smoke
937 Posts
Some good advice in this thread. I cannot stress enough to shoot the gun YOU like. Best money I ever spent on shotgunning was to get a fitting. Done properly it will take the better part of a day. I've had gun dealers and gunsmiths basically do an eyeball fitting. Not the same. Find someone qualified who will be watching you shoot and adjusting a try gun to get it right. What ever gun you purchase can be modified to your measurements. If working with a strict budget be sure to include the cost of potential mods.

No doubt you already know this but you never aim a shotgun. Swing through and point. Big difference.

Enjoy the adventure!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some good advice in this thread. I cannot stress enough to shoot the gun YOU like. Best money I ever spent on shotgunning was to get a fitting. Done properly it will take the better part of a day. I've had gun dealers and gunsmiths basically do an eyeball fitting. Not the same. Find someone qualified who will be watching you shoot and adjusting a try gun to get it right. What ever gun you purchase can be modified to your measurements. If working with a strict budget be sure to include the cost of potential mods.

No doubt you already know this but you never aim a shotgun. Swing through and point. Big difference.

Enjoy the adventure!
Excellent points. I will need to look into a dealer outside of NYC. Because a good fit would require actual shooting which is not an option in the city

·
Super Moderator
17,224 Posts
My buddy's dad had a ruger red label, beautiful gun. My second favorite shotgun I've ever shot. My favorite will always be my Fox double in 20g. You could swing it in a phone booth. Best grouse gun ever. (That's back when there were grouse, before the housing plans went up)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Bloke with a Smoke
937 Posts
My buddy's dad had a ruger red label, beautiful gun. My second favorite shotgun I've ever shot. My favorite will always be my Fox double in 20g. You could swing it in a phone booth. Best grouse gun ever. (That's back when there were grouse, before the housing plans went up)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Many grouse hunters including me like side by sides. I prefer the ballistics on either a 16 or 28 ga. More of the shot string arrives at the same point at about the same time.

We have grouse and woodcock in Michigan and the population coming back at the beginning of the 10 yr cycle. Try the western Upper Penninsula. More public land then you can dream of and abundant habitat.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm eyeballing the lovely tactical Italian ones (Benelli and Fabarm) for shooting those two-legged varmints who haven't been invited...

Although, a sound clip of a shotgun chambering would likely be just as good and a lot cheaper 🤣

1 - 20 of 23 Posts