Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My order just arrived and I have a box of 20 Onyx Churchills. My question is should they be removed from the box/unwrapped and then added to the humi? I have the room in the humi. I don't see smoking 20 of these for awhile. Should I remove and add to the humi or will they saty in the Onyx box they were shipped in.

I also got a five pack of the CAO Piranah---How many days/weeks should I let them lay before I smoke.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I would definitely put the cigars in your humi and not leave them out in their original box. Haven't ordered any Onyx by the box. Just samplers. Are they in celophane? It's up to you whether or not to remove the celo. I always do, others never do, and still others sometimes do and sometimes don't depending on various factors.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes in cellophane. And I don't have enough room for all 20. In trouble here. I have another 25 coming tomorrow. I didn't expect to need a second humi. You guys poisoned me with your recommendations. I have a 25 of those magic mountains coming tomorrow. This is with the box of Onyx (20) the CAO 5/pack and a 10 pack sampler that came today. Plus the 15 or so I already had.

·
Registered
239 Posts
just click on the post you made about a coolerdor and follow the directions, looks pretty good to me. think i may go back to one myself, really living beyond my means with cubans so i have decided to go back to cigars under 3 bucks and cheap bundles for everyday smokes. i smoked a consuegra rothchild maduro i had for a few years and they age very well imo.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A cheap way to go to store those Onyx lovelies (man, I wish I had a couple right now!!! :)) is to buy a big enough tupperware to hold about 75 cigars, and then buy the flower foam from a floral shop (they will know what you want when you ask for it - about $3 per brick). Cut the brick into a couple of pieces to fit in the tupperware and put it in a ziplock bag (do not seal it) and then put the cigars in. Add some pieces of Spanish Cedar (usually a good cigar box will be made of Spanish Cedar and you can get some from the box). Then you have a cheap storage system.

I was buying humidors out the yazoo because I needed the space, when I decided to try the above method. Saved me some bucks and it works just as good as a $35-$50 humidor.

OR, if I may suggest - invite me over some time and we could smoke as many as we could before they dry out!!!
:r

Good luck and have fun!!!!

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Irish said:
Yes in cellophane. And I don't have enough room for all 20. In trouble here. I have another 25 coming tomorrow. I didn't expect to need a second humi. You guys poisoned me with your recommendations. I have a 25 of those magic mountains coming tomorrow. This is with the box of Onyx (20) the CAO 5/pack and a 10 pack sampler that came today. Plus the 15 or so I already had.
And so it begins.............. LMAO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Irish-
It's amazing how fast you can run out of space once you get in this cigar game :) ...I lean towards another humi with some more room and a nice Cigar Oasis for fool proof humidity.

You'll fill it in no time.

As Always,
Best Regards & Fresh Cigars,

Mike Glynn
www.rockyscigars.com
For Cigars...its as easy as Click, Save , Smoke!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Hey, Irish,

Someone had made the suggestion of converting a wine cooler into a humidor. Can't remeber where on the site I saw the specs, but i checked into it and found one that was a 20 bottle set up that allowed you to control temp, so all you needed was the humidifier. It was $128.99. I'm thinking of giving that a try.

Grinch OUT!!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Durch recommended the Oasis Humdifier to me also. He pointed out that I could cop one on e-bay for a good price. You might want to check out e-bay.

Have fun!!!!

;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sounds like you got the advice you needed, no shame in Ziplocs, Tupperware and coolers. I would recommend a coolerdor, because, well, you’re going to need the space. :D At the very least get that box in Ziploc and suck out the air, it should be able to coast for a few days while you get set up, just don't open it frequently as you'll want to do to inspect your prize!

bd

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.