Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow lowlanders. Hope all of yall had pleasant holidays with the new year looking good. Myself on the other hand have been caught up in this Kafkaesque nightmare for the last few weeks that has become so crazy all I can do is say f**k it, gotta get better. Remember in my last post I indicated being very ill, well went back to work and worked the 1 day scheduled in that week. Got A phone call from HR the following day and was told I was terminated for excessive absenteeism. Missed 4 shifts, by MD's order;If running fever was not to work,which makes sense to me as I do work in the ER. Anyway am a non benefit emplyee so the hospital was not out any sick pay, and if I was working they would have owed me 2400 bills for those 4 shifts. So I was the only one who lost bread on this deal. On reflection I believe this was all about the benjamins, I think someone got handed his a** on a platter for hiring me at 50 bucks an hour when they could fill the holes in the schedule with agency and float for about 30/hr and the days missed was what they feel like is an acceptable excuse.We shall see,will be talking with an attorney after the first. The move to AR cost me 3 grand right off the top. So unemployed at Christmas. The irony is this is a "Catholic" hospital. The second little bit of haha is that we discover after moving into this gorgeous townhome that it has serious black mold and drainage issues. The previous tenants moved because of it, our neighbor immmediately to the south is moving, and the woman 2 doors downslope is involved in a lawsuit with the owners. Yall will think I am BS'ing but you cant make this s**t up...the one heavy rain I have been here for I had earthworms appear on the brand new berber carpet. They were obviously burrowing up through the weave. Only had about a half dozen appear during what was a very moderate rain, but was told by my neighbor that in one of the units when it rained the worms became nightmarish. Of course none of this comes out until after I have parted with 2 grand in rent and various deposits. So anyway we are going to unceremoniously bail out of this lovely but potentially dangerous environment, go back to good old Ms for awhile, have already interviewed with a couple of hospitals in Jackson, looking good there, and dare the SOB's who neglected to inform us of the health hazards in this dwelling to sue us for the balance of the lease. So anyhow that is my little Christmas story. Gotta get better,cant get a whole lot worse. Well gonna go smoke a cigar and have a toddie for the body, "Aint nothin' but a thing". Frank B

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Sorry to hear that Frank. Any chance your illness might have had something to do with living in that environment?

I would think you could get a nice settlement out of it seeing as how the landlord/owners have known of this problem but have done nothing to correct it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Frank I'm very sorry to hear that your Holiday was not too happy, Big hug.
When life gives you Earth Worms...Go fishin',
Keep smiling. :)

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
Bummer Frank, But your right things have to get better.

I always tell the kids things workout,and it will for you too.

Your good people,chin up and take care.....

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
Real sorry to hear about that. I've been repeatedly happy that my wife chose not to do any contract/travel nursing in her job. Their are some success stories, but the horror stories are inordinately high for my tastes.

In any case, sounds like you've got a plan, and I hope things get better ASAP. BAd stuff sucks butt.

Just as a side note: New Orleans has at least 2 excellent hospitals to work in.. Oschner, and Tulane are both excellent hospitals. And if something were to happen there where you got let go or didn't like it, there's also.....

West Jeff, East Jeff, University, Charity. Etc.

West Jeff is ok, East Jeff is a great hospital, but VERY strict with their staff. (good for patients though)

University, is a last resort, gov run hospital, they pay competitively but the conditions and management sucks. Charity of course has their world famous ER.

Tulane also offers a lot of bonuses, and will pay for your Bachelor's degree at Loyola (very good school) as well.

And there are several people that work at these hospitals who commute in from Ms.

Also, The rent will be about the same, but the pay i'm betting will be higher in New Orleans than in Ms.

·
Registered
394 Posts
OUCH, dude...sorry you're having to go through all of this. Sometimes things just don't seem fair.

Hope your luck turns for the better very quickly.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
...if it makes you feel better I locked my keys in my truck on christmas eve and busted my window to get in......

At my work they shit canned a nice lady the day before christmas eve, just because they thought that she might use the health insurance that they offer.

Really sucks man, I can only hope that there is a greater good that is involved but cannot be seen yet. When a door closes, a window is opened or so it seems.

Hope 2005 is a good one for all of us!

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles Frank. Like you say, it will get better. Keep up the good :bx

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I hope you have a great new year Frank. Sounds like you have a pretty positive outlook. Smoke one of your best and things will get better.

GoatLocker

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
FrankB said:
Myself on the other hand have been caught up in this Kafkaesque nightmare for the last few weeks that has become so crazy all I can do is say f**k it, gotta get better.
Holy crap that sucked.

Its over, you'll get a better job, and it will soon just be fodder for yarns at herfs.

But, I gotta tell ya, worms coming up through the carpets makes a great idea for a horror movie.

Flesh eating worms ..... nubile co-eds ..... and PSD4s ...... (OK, the last one didn't quite fit...)

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, that really sucks. What a low-life thing to do....letting someone go around the holidays...I mean come on :c

Keep your head up, things will get better. Best of luck in 05.

·
-
11,412 Posts
sorry, but i think you're doing the right thing in this situation.

let me know when you get a part-time gig up in the KC area.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Left this part out, day I was terminated, my wife who smokes nasty cigarettes ran out and asked me go get her a pack; no sweat, leave for the local convenience store, on leaving the store can see from the door that left rear is going flat. Can see the screw I have picked up 20 feet away. Air tire, drive to closest tire store 5 miles away, luckily didnt throw the screw and tire remained inflated. Decide to not only fix flat but rotate tires while I was at it. put the car in the bay, tech comes out and asked me for my locking nut socket, look through my sh*t, no socket, realize that last year when I replaced all tires that shop that did it kept the socket. Only 1 Mazda dealership within 50 miles and of course every damn Mazda uses a different size or style of socket and of course they dont have them in stock. Luckily for me the techs at this tire place adapted, improvised, and overcame and at least were able to get wheel off with the flat tire and at least get that fixed. I cant help at this point to think of "George Goebels" great line on the "Tonight Show" that the world's a tuxedo and he's a pair of brown shoes.Sometimes the absurdity of misfortune only leaves you with one choice and that is too laugh your a** off. Workin' on my 3rd stiff Jim Beam and an "Aroma de Cuba". Enjoying the drink more than the cigar; got serious draw and burn issues. Frank B

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
Sounds like when it rains it pours. You mentioning George also reminded me of when he was on Carson's Tonight Show and Hope and anothe BIG star, maybe Martin, show up and he gets bumped because they run long. He finally gets out in the last five minutes and gets to sit in the first seat and just has all three of them laughing, rolling on the floor with his dead pan humor -- "Now we're getting to the main act". Keep on keeping on - find yourself a good gar that will let you relax. We're pulling for you.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Frank, things will get better. Sorry to hear you are having so many life altering experiences at once. Just look at it this way..starting the new year with a clean slate and getting all the bad stuff out of the way for the next 10 years! Keep your chin up and I'll be thinking of you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.