Cigar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm going to be in Tijuana in a few weeks, and I'd like to buy some cigars. More or less just pick some up bring back home and smoke on poker nights etc. I'm not a big smoker, I've had cigars and enjoyed them but I don't know much about them.

All I know, is that I can't bring Cubans back into the U.S. However, I have read that Dominican cigars are just as good if not better than Cubans. My first questions is, is it legal to bring Dominican cigars back to the U.S. and if so what are some that you recommend? Like I said I really don't know brands or anything, so I was hoping I could get some feedback from people on what to buy, and if any of you have been to Tijuana, specifically where to buy them.

Thanks a lot.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
ot66 said:
Hello,

I'm going to be in Tijuana in a few weeks, and I'd like to buy some cigars. More or less just pick some up bring back home and smoke on poker nights etc. I'm not a big smoker, I've had cigars and enjoyed them but I don't know much about them.

All I know, is that I can't bring Cubans back into the U.S. However, I have read that Dominican cigars are just as good if not better than Cubans. My first questions is, is it legal to bring Dominican cigars back to the U.S. and if so what are some that you recommend? Like I said I really don't know brands or anything, so I was hoping I could get some feedback from people on what to buy, and if any of you have been to Tijuana, specifically where to buy them.

Thanks a lot.
I'd not find many people that would say Dominicans are better than Cuban cigars, although the likes of La Flor Dominicana and others do make very tasty cigars. Generally the tobacco comes from more than 1 country for most cigars except Cubans, so a Dominican cigar might easily have a wrapper from the US or Ecuador. There are actually few "all Dominican" cigars out there.

I'd forgo buying cigars in Mexico and look for a local retailer where you can buy cigars and talk with people .. so they can find what you like and make recommendations. What I like is more than likely doing to make you spit up. If you told us what cigars you do like it will be easier to make recommendations.

You can also look at what they have at JR (www.jrcigars.com) or one of the larger retailers have to offer. You need some sort of humidor or tupperware container (tupperador) with a humidifier to keep the smokes moist, else they will be ruined. Many people bought their first humidor from Thompsons, although they do have interesting deals there, their house brand cigars are not so good.

Have fun in Mexico. Remember, I daresay most cuban cigars there are fake unless you shop in the official cuban cigar stores (la casa del habano).

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
The prof speaks wisdom. If you do hit the authorized store then load up on dem Cubans. I have a selection of Dominicans that you can sample from which will virtually cover every cigar made there. Buy a box of Partagas 898 or the 98 Diplimotico's they have on special now. We can talk terms when you get back but I guarantee you will be happy with a tour of the Dominicans I will trade for those.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.