Saturday December 4th

Virginia Tech at Miami Fl.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
pds said:
Saturday December 4th

Virginia Tech at Miami Fl.
I have to bet on the local team else my friends will disown me.
This despite my loathing their stupid mascot. A freakin chicken.
Course, a duck is not much better. Should be a good game.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
Can't have the 'Canes winning the ACC the first year in. Damn Gators :c they did a good job in Tallahassee. They are going to have a very good team next year if they can get a halfway decent coach - they're a young team. If you hadn't guessed, Semihole alum. :z

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
galaga said:
If you hadn't guessed, Semihole alum. :z
Spent 9 years in Gainesville, wife is diehard G8R. I don't hold being a Nole against ya...as long as being a semi-G8R doesn't offend you. I'm actually an ISU Cyclone, so the game this weekend made me sick. Iowa State and football don't mix.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
"I'm actually an ISU Cyclone, so the game this weekend made me sick. Iowa State and football don't mix."

SeanGar

Such are the perils of college football, and I guess pro ball too with "parity" in the league. To paraphrase Eldrige Cleaver, "I like Gator fans, some of my best friends are Gator fans"

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Its funny because most of my family lives in FL. Half of the family are Gator fans and the other half (the good half :D ) are FSU fans. So you can imagine what kind of an uproar the game caused in my family.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Don't like 'em, but my chips are on Miami... :mad:

·
Registered
37 Posts
No spread action.....Don't need it....I take those odds. VT has a good team. it'll be close!

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Frank Beamer is from my hometown. I remember my dad taking me to watch him play at the old Hillsville High School back in the 60's. Lived within an hour of Blacksburg for 40 years and still don't know what a Hokie is.

·
Registered
223 Posts
catfishm2 said:
and still don't know what a Hokie is.
Oficial school take on a hokie goes back to 1896 when Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College changed its name to Virginia Polytechnic Institute. With the change came the necessity for writing a new cheer and a contest for such a purpose was held by the student body.
Senior O.M. Stull won first prize for his "Hokie" yell which is still used today. Later, when asked if "Hokie" had any special meaning, Stull explained the word was solely the product of his imagination and was used only as an attention-getter for his yell. It soon became a nickname for all Tech teams.

And that catchy cheer?:

Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!
Tech, Tech, VPI
Sol-a-rex, Sol-a-rah
Poly Tech Vir-gin-ia
Ray rah VPI
Team! Team! Team!

Now, if you ask anyone that went there, or most locals, they'll tell you a hokie is a castrated turkey

·
Registered
734 Posts
I bet on the Canes in the Orange Bowl, however, I will be rooting for the Hokies. It would be nothing better being a Gator fan than having Va Tech beat Miami and send the Canes to the Peach Bowl to face the coachless and talented Gator team.

The Gators are itching to put a knot on Brock Berlin's noggin after the game last year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Might be kind of late...can we get a line on Mon. nights football game? Dallas Cowboys vs Seattle Seahawks game. My Seahawks are playing!

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
Hey Dutch, thanks for posting the info about the origin of Hokie. All these years and I didn't know. Now I won't have to stand around and shrug my shoulders when asked the question. Thanks again; I really appreciated it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.