Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the cigar world. I have tried cigars here and there before, but had a friend give a good cigar and now I am hooked. I am very fond of the Carbonell Presidente, but hard to find. I had a Drew Estates Natural ”Dirt”, also found it to be very good. But don’t care much for the available sizes they came in (prefer a Churchill). Had an Oliveros sweet the other day and liked that a little, the flavored cigars are a little too sweet. I really enjoy a naturally sweet wrapper like the Carbonells. Any thing else out that would be good to try that’s close to it.

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
You might try a Google search & use the word Carbonell. Make sure you spell it right & you should find more than one site that features this cigar.

Other cigars to try would be Baccarat. I think La Fontana may have a sweet gum sealant, but am not sure as I have not tried the natural line of this cigar.

Another that features a sweet sealant is, I believe, some lines of Nat Sherman, but am also unsure of this. the Nat Shermans I have smoked did not.

When you get more curious, & you will, you might try some of the milder Dominican cigars. They have a natural sweet high in the sinus that many smokers find appealing. There are many, but Macanudo, Fonseca, Casa Blanca, Bolivar, etc. might be a good place to start.

Some maduros have a deeper sweet tone which is very nice. The Macanudo Hampton Court tubo maduro is a nice cigar.

Nicaraguan tobaccos have a sweetness, but have greater body & depth.

Take it at your own pace & let your palate develop on it's own & have fun.

BTW, welcome to the forum & also to the Journey. :)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Deriffe Partagas makes the Spanish Rosado not Macanudo.

ff6849
I would try a Cuesta Rey Centenario. These Cigars have a really sweet taste to me. Not sure if the flavor profile will fit what you like. But these are almost floral in flavor to me.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I agree with Chitown that for a mild and sweet smoke the Baccarat is a good smoke. The Macanudo line might be for you also. These are all too mild for me but hey taste varies from person to person.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just to give a recommendation for a nice sweet flavor wraper on a cigar would have to be a bacarat, some people havent even heard of them but they are a naturaly sweet wrapper, i think they are a good smoke on occasion, but i'm partial to a maduro, i think the bacarat is the way to go.

·
Registered
394 Posts
kamikaiguy said:
I would try a Cuesta Rey Centenario. These Cigars have a really sweet taste to me. Not sure if the flavor profile will fit what you like. But these are almost floral in flavor to me.
I agree with kamikaiguy here. These are mild, flavorful, and like him, I note a sweetness to it.

Hoss

·
Registered
154 Posts
kamikaiguy said:
Deriffe Partagas makes the Spanish Rosado not Macanudo.

ff6849
You're right, I had a brain fart. Thanks.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Bruce5

Your right the Ashotn VSG do have a nice hint of sweetness. Then when you stand up after smoking one they kick you in the pants. What a great cigar and a good recomendation.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Temple Halls are sweet, downright sugary. Too much for my tastes, but if you like the Natural line you will probably like Temple Hall too. I like Montisino for a fairly sweet cigar that doesn't go overboard.

bd

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think the key word here is naturally sweet. Many of the cigar makers dip the tips or use oild as in the Drew Estate line. What is needed for natural sweetness are the bottom leaves of the broadleaf.

Since you are new to cigar smoking you may not want a full bodied smoke.

The Montesino Maduro (by Arturo Fuente) fits the bill. Read the staff reveiws of this cigar. It has a natural sweetness in the wrapper and in the smoke. you will like the price. It is a very smooth and mellow smoke but has good notes.

Hope you like it,

Kid

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mac Gold Torp. Great smoking cigar and a very faint taste of the sweet glue everyone was referring to. Not overpowering but present.

Had my first Nat Sherman over the fourth of July weekend and it did have a sweet cap. Not sure what line it was though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kamikaiguys right...the Carlos Torano is a good smoke with a hint of sweetness...i haven't had a chance to try the Aston yet but i hope its a good smoke...any comments or suggestions about the aston will be much appreciated

·
Registered
27 Posts
For a naturally sweet cigar, try Fire by Indian Tabac.I've had two of their robustos, and they both had an underlying sweetness that I really like.I picked up mine on cigar-bid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.