Cigar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after hearing all sorts of stellar reviews about this movie I went and saw it last night. Directed by Clint Eastwood I just had to see it. "The Unforgiven" is one of my all time favorite flicks (won best picture, actor, editing, and director in 1992). This movie had a lot to live up to and it did that with authority.

It's the story of 3 boyhood friends who went their seperate ways after childhood and are reuinited (20 years later after they have all grown up and have families of their own) when one of their daughters is murdered. Sean Penn plays the role of the father who lost his daughter (kind of a tough guy, ex-con gone straightish for his family), Kevin Bacon plays the homicide investigator, and Tim Robbins is the third boy who was traumatized as a youngster and is dealing with demons of his own. I can't ever remember seeing such enthralling acting and direction in one movie before. The characters were played so excellently that you really felt connected and as if you were experiencing their lives firsthand. Come oscar time, I bet the lineup will be littered with the names of the people in this film. After leaving the theater I felt as though I was emotionally spent. This one is a true powerhouse of a film. Engrossing, gripping characters, exquisite directing, and an edgy, grittiness to the cinemetography that brought you right into their hometown. I am a pretty tough customer when it comes to movies and most every one I see I have an issue with. This movie was solid on all fronts and is definitely worth the price of admission. Final grade: A.
SB

PS: For reference, some of my other favorites are The Godfather, Goodfellas, Shawshank Redemption, and Unforgiven.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate (one of my favorites) didn't you think Penn was a bit over the top? He's been one of my favorite actors for a while now but I just think he got a little carried away, overacting a bit. and fishburne didn't catch the boston accent until half-way through the movie?! It's 'California English' then all of a sudden 'cah' gets thrown in every once in a while?

I may have had higher expectations, I love everyone involved in the movie... loved the story...

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hogg-

I thought Penn was close to being too much but, to me, he pulled it off. I can buy it because losing someone is very traumatic and everyone deals with it differently. I can see your point. I think Kevin Bacon's character was dead on though. If anyone deserves and oscar I think it should be him. Now that you have pointed out the Achilles heel of the movie (I didn't mention this before) I found the music at times to be close to cloying and in one scene you could see the dead girl breathing. You mentioned the accent which I didn't notice. Little things, yes, maybe big things to some people but the overall movie was an absolute gem in a sea of crappy films. There is no way you can avoid getting pulled into the drama that unfolds. But, good points Hogg.
SB

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Thanks for the reivew. Now I have to go see it!

MoTheMan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts