Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Gentleman Jim Stogie
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gone deep and hard into the world of on NC and I find myself with an empty fridgador and the longing to try the 'good life' as it were.

I've had about 30 nc, the only ones I've liked well enough to pursue to date were three aged isoms that I sampled at Trishields herf. I'd like to purchase some isom but I'm at a loss for which. I now have some aging room but I want something thats smoking well right now. I've read the stickies and I carry around a copy of the newbies habanos guide one on my phone for consideration but the list there is long and exhaustive.

Please suggest to me 3 isoms to try for my next purchase along with reasons why these three. The should be isoms that will age reasonably but are smoking well now. I will take many of the suggestions offered and whoever suggests the 3 I like best will get some kind of decent thank you from me so its almost like a contest I guess.

I like DCMs, 64s, VSGs, 26s, Gisperts, RP Sungrowns, Anejos, MC Whites to name a few. Those probably arent good comparables but its what I smoke a lot of right now. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I like the Hoyo coronas Romeo J corona and the I think kenny will agree the Bolivar coronas..

Oh ya, I am a Cohiba slut, the siglo IV are good..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Tough to say, I don't know that I've ever smoked a bad one. They're all good in their own way. I'm sure you'll get a lot of different answers here, but I would say just looking at the smokes you like you're a fan of Full bodied cigars. I would probably stick to the Bolivar and Partagas lines, you can't really go wrong with a Bolivar Royal Corona or Belicoso Finas. And on the Partagas side the Series D #4 is a staple around here. Montecristo's have been pretty good of late, and I'm partial to the Vegas Robania line (although they're more medium bodied)

·
Hasta La Vista!!!
7,888 Posts
St. Lucia, Cayman Islands and Aruba.

Many more to choose from.:D

Cigarwise, man are the choices endless.
I suggest a dartboard approach to sample as many as you can.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
First, you simply must read and smoke the stuff on Dustin's list:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24672

Second, I'd say to buy stuff from 2006 -- it was a great year, many (most?) are smoking really well from that year, and they should age well. There's some debate about whether 2006 is the new 1998. It's hard to speculate; but I think it's a safe bet that the 2006 will improve with *some* age no matter what.

Third, just call 'em Cubans. You're not fooling anyone with ISOM. ;) Just some friendly advice there.

Finally, I'll offer my specific suggestions for someone with as broad of tastes as you. (1) Smaller cigar: Por Larranaga Panetela. This is a great cigar for the morning or afternoon ... or even the first of multiples in the evening. It's size makes it great if you're pinched for time and it's gentler flavors make it great anytime of day. (2) Corona: RyJ Coronas are very good. I haven't had a 2006; but my guess is that they are quite tasty. I've had 05 RyJ Petit Coronas that were very very good and other RyJs from 06 (e.g., the Exhibition #4) that were spot-on. I'd also recommend a Monte #3. Again, I haven't had an 06; but the other 06 Montes I've had have been quite good too. (3) Lonsdale: Partagas 898 Varnished are da bomb (yeah ... I just said "da bomb"). These are spicey, creamy, and just all-around great cigars. My favorite are late-05 or early-06. The mid-late 06 tasted a bit "young" to me; but the 05/06 have been fantastic. Nice thing about these is you can pick up 10ers that still come in the varnished box.

All of that said, you best option starting off may not be to buy boxes of single cigars. My recommendation would be to buy some samplers first, which will give you a better sense of what marcas (brands) and vitolas you enjoy from the Cuban realm. In terms of making your sampler list, use Dustin's guide as a checklist. I'm still working on it, myself....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'd suggest getting a sampler pack of certain size that you like. Robusto, PC, and Churchill are good choices.
Almost all '06s are good now. Three smokes that are good out of the box for me: RASS, Boli PC, and Siglo VI.

·
www.stogietorch.com
3,633 Posts
Carlos speaks truth. I was in your situation not long ago... In fact, I still am a huuuge neophyte in the CC world. My advice would be the same, with a couple caveats.

I would certainly suggest Monte #4's. These are smoking great with only six months of age on them, and will only get better with time. There is a reason this vitola is the best selling CC in the world.

The two others, I would dartboard a little bit, but in the sizes you seem to enjoy in NCs. For instance, if you like PCs, Bolivar PCs are well spoken of by those with a thousand times more experience than you or myself. You may want a larger smoke, Maybe Hoyo Epi 1 or 2s. Whilst not having any experience with Cohibas, there are more than enough sizes to experiment to find what you like, and I'm pretty sure you won't find a single gorilla that would look at you in disgust if you gave him or her a Cohiba. ;)

Oh yeah...... RASS or RASCC. RASCCs are smoking pretty damn good with only 6 months on them, and will get very good with a year on them.

But then again, I have the palate of a goat.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm a bit unclear about your goal. It sounds like you're looking for box quantities. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to buy a box of anything without trying a few singles first -- unless you're pretty confident about what you want. Why not look for some samplers or just pick a few representative sticks from each label? Seems to me that the discovery part is half the fun! :D

My favorites are probably the RASS and MC#2 -- but there's a lot I haven't tried yet!

-Ken

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I'm a bit unclear about your goal. It sounds like you're looking for box quantities. I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to buy a box of anything without trying a few singles first -- unless you're pretty confident about what you want. Why not look for some samplers or just pick a few representative sticks from each label? Seems to me that the discovery part is half the fun! :D

My favorites are probably the RASS and MC#2 -- but there's a lot I haven't tried yet!

-Ken
I would normally agree here, however I personally have never smoked a bad cuban. Plugged, burn problem yes but bad no never.. :ss

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
I would normally agree here, however I personally have never smoked a bad cuban. Plugged, burn problem yes but bad no never.. :ss
:tpd:

But I'd also add "sick" and "young" to the list of things that can go wrong. Even with one that's too young, I can still tell it's good and got potential that I'll enjoy with some to time to rest/mature.

:2

·
Block Watcher
3,995 Posts
First, you simply must read and smoke the stuff on Dustin's list:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24672

Third, just call 'em Cubans. You're not fooling anyone with ISOM. ;) Just some friendly advice there.
:tpd:
  • Fonseca Cadetes - the all time taste/value smoke IMHO
  • Partagas Mille Fleurs or Partagas PC Especials - I like these better than shorts.
  • RG Panatelas Extras - good intro to small RG and nicely priced.
All are smokes I enjoy quite a bit, none will break the bank.

·
RIP CS!
4,050 Posts
for shame gorillas. Discouraging spending money on boxes in favor of sampler packs :confused::r

As for the cigars, there are just too many to narrow it down. Punch has the ability to smoke well fresh as well as age, and is quickly becoming one of my favorite marcas. My JUN07 punch punch are pretty durn good now, and the puff of an 85 same vitola I had off TriShields was just silly. Also like Monte 4 and Boli CEs.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jose L. Piedra -- had one of these just recently and while perhaps not bad-bad, I'm not sure I'd want a box of them sitting around.

-Ken

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I'll add my :2

Anything Bolivar, because I love the flavor profile of them. The PCs are great and so are the RCs and Coronas.

PLPC, like candy to me, and the 06 are great.

I'll go with the Professor on this last one, Partagas 898 varnished, he is right on with that assessment of them :tu

So many more, but you asked for three so I'll quit.

BTW Dustins post is invaluable IMO

1 - 20 of 39 Posts