Cigar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing my 'best of' posts, here is one for music.

My two favorite CD's this year are:
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Buckle your seat belt and get ready to go on a prog-metal rock ride. Some of the best drums, keyboard and fast guitar work (and solos) assembled at 150 mph.

Metallica - St Anger
Returning to their past (Ride the Lightning), this one is fast, raw, defiance, and did I say fast? Except for the title track, I've enjoyed this one more after 100 listens than I could imagine.

Most disappointed CD purchase:
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
After winning the Grammy Awards for best rock album with Two Against Nature, this one was a HUGE letdown. If you're looking for greatness here, keep looking. If you're looking for something decent or even ok, keep looking. What you have found is nothing more than crappy appaling-inexcusable-indefensible elevator music. I've been a big fan of these guys since '72, so it does hurt to type this, but I've never been accused of not being forthright with my opinions. Reminds me of a baseball player who gets the MVP award (lets say .350 BA, 50 HR & 125 RBI) and then two years later is batting .125 with no homers and no RBI's.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm definitely not on top of current releases but here's what's been in my CD player and tape deck most often this year.

In no particular order...

Louis Armstrong Hot 5's and 7's

Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelly and the Hot Club of France

Arvo Pärt Alina and Tabula Rasa -- painfully beautiful 20th century minimalism

John Adams Grand Pianola Music more minimalism.

Phillip Glass' String Quartet No.3 performed by the Kronos Quartet

Richard Galliano's French Touch -- tango meets jazz.

London Label's compliation Fantasia on Greensleeves -- with compositions by Ralph Vaughan Willams, Delius, Elgar and others. If you're at all interested in late 19th and early 20th century British composers this is like one stop shopping...

Flatt and Scruggs ... just some "best of" compilation but d*mn it's good!

Joseph Haydn's Paris and London Symphonies

Happy listening in 2004!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.