Cigar Forums banner

Multiple hard drives and partitions

688 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Del Fuego 
#1 ·
Soon, I will purchase a new laptop. This Toshiba has had enough.

I'm looking into a British company named Novatech. They are known for powerful, clean devices with no pre-installed data tracking programs. A lot of big name brands have data tracking programs installed to keep track of what you do with your computer in order to learn more about people and ultimately increase sales.

The laptop I'm thinking of buying comes with two hard-drives.
Hard-drive #1: 128 GB
Hard-drive #2: 1 TB

I'm not sure however exactly why they do this. What is the purpose of two hard-drives?

I've been doing some research and here is what I've come up with.

You can use the smaller hard-drive to hold Windows and other programs (Like MS Office).

Then, use the larger hard-drive for all your stuff (My docs, downloads, images, movies, etc...)

On top of that, some people will actually partition out the larger hard-drive into 2, 3, 4 or more drives. They might use one partition for backups, another for a backup copy of Windows and another for something else.

Here is my question. If you are using two hard-drives and multiple partitions, what is the most common way to use them? Do you use the small hard-drive for Windows and programs, or do you put that on the partition and use the small drive for backups? How do you use multiple hard-drives and partitions?

By the way, I'm not using my computer for any demanding software or business related activity. It's for email, Facebook, Puff, Ebay, buying gobs of cigars, etc....

See less See more
#2 ·
The 128 GB will be a solid state drive, very fast and normally used for your operating system, the other for storage.
You can also have 2 operating systems, lets say you like win 7 but want to give 10 a try, put 1 on each drive and boot from which ever you want to use at that time.
Backup, if 1 disk goes down the other still has all your data.
You can have multiple partitions but for what you say you will use the comp for i wouldn't bother.

#3 ·
Gotcha. So the first drive is Solid State and will be used for the OS. Do I keep Office on there as well or create a separate partition on the main drive for it and other programs?

I think I get it now. It's best to keep your personal stuff separate from the OS just in case the system fails. That way, all of your personal data is safe. If it was all together on one drive there could be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.