Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow apes, My time in Austin is winding gown. My contract with the hospital is about up, about 3 weeks left. Anyway looks like I may be moving to Charlottesville, Virginia for my next assignment. Have limited knowledge of area, know that UVA, and Monticello are there.Web search looks like it will be an interesting assignment. Anyone familiar with area? Is there a good smoke shop? Points of interest, fun, gotta do kinda things, etc? Frank B

·
Registered
43 Posts
Frank not my area of expertise but have fun anyway, and would think lots of cigar shops as is tobacco country...Austin is so nice, did you do Bobalus? if not go get some cigars from them to take with ya...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome to the neighborhood!

I live about 25 miles NE of Charlottesville. It's perennially in those Best Places to Live in the US surveys. With the University being the center of activity, there's always something to do- sports, concerts (The Dave Matthews Band started here), cultural activities, etc. The mountains and the Skyline Drive (20 mins west) are always popular, with skiing 1/2 hour away. (BIG change from Austin, huh?)

NOW... the important part. There is a decent cigar shop- Cavalier Pipe and Tobacco- with 2 walk-ins and a pretty comprehensive selection. Customer service isn't great, though. (I'll PM you if you want details.)

Richmond is only an hour away and there are a couple of excellent cigar places there, plus a new one I haven't been to but about which I have heard good things.

Linus is right, VERY humid in the summer, but if you run a/c, it dries the air out inside the house enough that it isn't a problem.

The best thing is, though, NO cigar tax in Va.
0%.
:)

Welcome again and hope you enjoy your time here.

-Quixote

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quixote,Really appreciate the info. Charlottesville looks like the kind of place where fun factor belies its size. If the local smoke shop is a pain in the a**, not above making the short drive to Richmond. Maybe we can get together for a Herf while I am in your neck of the woods. Looks like I might be there for a fairly extended period of time, 6 mo's at least. Frank B

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Quixote, meant to comment on this in first post, but with no tobacco tax does that mean that cigar prices reflect the absence of the tax? Frank B

G

·
You're gonna love it! It's a great little town.

And get over to, and up and down the Shenandoah Valley. God created that place so I could retire there. I just love Lexington, VA. Visit there in the Christmas season.

4A

·
Registered
239 Posts
FrankB,

On the tax thing, cigars aren't taxed but they tax the hell outta cigarettes. (You'd think they would take it easy on cigarettes, with Phillip Morris being in the back yard of the state captiol, but it isn't so.)
So, yes, the only markup you'll see on cigars is the retailers cut, plus regular state sales tax, which is 4.5% for non-food items.

As far as the ******** go, there are some sister-dating, one toothed, slack-jawed yokels here, to be sure. The western part of Albemarle County, in which C-ville is located, is known as a place where the men are men and the sheep are scared. :) I know of a family in my county that was forced by the Health Department to finally get an OUTHOUSE in 1995. But with the University community, Charlottesville isn't that bad. Lotta tree hugging liberals, though. Makes for great entertainment, watching them interact with the Bubbas.

You bet can can get together for a Herf. Some good, cigar-friendly spots around.

-Quixote

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.