Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought into the deal that JR Cigars was offering - Dunhill Montecruz in boxes of 10 from the '90'[email protected] $30.- per box.
In my enthusiasm, I ordered 4 boxes, seeing this as an opportunity, and knowing they would quickly sell out. As of yesterday they were indeed sold out, and I was glad I got the 4 boxes.

They arrived yesterday in fine condition. I opened one box, and drooled. The sticks were in super condition, and the cellophane wraps were a nice old yellow color. I took one out of the cello and placed it in my smoking humidor.
Today I went out to the garage with a good book, a diet Coke, and the Montecruz (7 1/4 x 46).

On lighting it I found the draw to be pretty tight due to a plugged section near the band. I was also not getting very much smoke. The smoke I was getting was a bit bland, not as rich as I was expecting. O.K. I thought, I need to fix the draw and get more smoke. I pushed a straightened paper clip through the plugged section and the draw improved. The flavor was still nothing to get excited over. Half way down, and I was not experiencing any change. It was not getting any fuller, richer, nothing but that somewhat nondescript blandness. I smoked further, and still was not enjoying it, so I pitched it with about 2 inches to go.

There are 3 possibilities - It was in shipping shock, needs a week in the humi to settle.
It was a bad stick.
These cigars are past their prime, and have nothing to offer.

I suspect the last one on the list to be the answer. I will give them a couple more tries however in a few days.

Anybody else tried these? Right now I'm feeling pretty dumb for buying 40 of these sticks, and suspect that the 3 unopened boxes will either be given away or tossed... Larry.:hn

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Montecruz # 200

Not exactly the same stick, but I thought this was interesting reading that my apply.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49728&highlight=interesting+find
Thanks billybarue - These are in fact the same cigars. There was good info on that recent thread, but no reviews except for Hollywood's very brief one right at the end.
They sold out so quickly I figured a lot of them must have gone to jungle -dwellers.
My report was just preliminary, as I gave them no time to settle in and had a plugged stick.
I was hoping some of y'all may have tried them and be willing to share your experiences.:dr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.