Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you guys thought of this smoke.
The first one I had, the draw was a just little tight, but
the flavor was so rich and delicious.
I have had a couple more and have had no draw problems
and really enjoyed them... I mean loved them like they were out of this world. I plan on buying a box this week.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Let's smoke a couple together Friday night & compare. I't been a while for me & my initial impressions was "still young" & needing time to mature.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
212 Posts
i have a box of 01 , smoked a couple and there is alot of flavor there, i will let them sit for awhile longer though before i try them again.
these i heard were actually the 00 left overs..didnt think they made a monte el robusto in 01.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Re: Montecristo Robusto, '01 EL

ilikecigars said:
i have a box of 01 , smoked a couple and there is alot of flavor there, i will let them sit for awhile longer though before i try them again.
these i heard were actually the 00 left overs..didnt think they made a monte el robusto in 01.
Yes, i thought they were from 00 too...

Anyway, it was like licking chocolate from a piece of wood (plank?)... I didnt like it very much, but it was good I think... I dont think I like the Montecristo-line much anymore... Maybe Montecristo no 2 is the exception... Back to the Robusto EL... I think maybe the EL-wrapper (maduro? and aged for 2 years?) gave it a chocolate/coffe-flavour that didnt really do it for me... I mean the EL-wrapper of the Partagas Serie D no. 3 was very good with the Partagas-stick and I loved it very much but...

3.5 out of 5.0 (which isnt good for a cuban cigar... cuban cigars =<4.0)

·
-
11,419 Posts

i bought some off of mo, and have only had 1 of them myself. then, like the dumbass that i am, i gave 4 of them away as extras in that robusto split (wetterhorn, d. generate, lasciviousxxx, and dadof3illinois). i don't know if any of them have tried that one yet....

i might have to break one out when i get home.
i do recall that i wasn't as impressed as i thought i would've been, considering i love the monte profile and robusto shaped cigars (and that they were over 4 yrs old at the time).

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

IHT said:
i bought some off of mo, and have only had 1 of them myself. then, like the dumbass that i am, i gave 4 of them away as extras in that robusto split
Yeah maybe a dumbass but I know all of us guys really appreciated it :D Thanks IHT. I thought it was a very kind and generous gesture. Gorillas status earned ;)

IHT said:
i don't know if any of them have tried that one yet....
I'll try mine tomorrow. I'm kind of having a mini-HERF with myself tomorrow and I'm planning on burning 3-4 smokes, so I'll make the Monte one of 'em. Thanx.

·
-
11,419 Posts

you could just sent it back, i bet he's lonely and missing my humidor...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

With the ELs, often there was leftover tobacco and they would continue to produce these for up to 2 and sometimes even 3 years. This why people joke and call them "Edition Non-Limitados".

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

IHT said:
you could just sent it back, i bet he's lonely and missing my humidor...
I'll think about that and get back to you....................................... ;)

P.S.- don't wait to long to hear from me though, you're Korean Hookers might miss you :fu

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

LasciviousXXX said:
I'll think about that and get back to you....................................... ;)

P.S.- don't wait to long to hear from me though, you're Korean Hookers might miss you :fu
LOL well I hope you have a good "mini" herf by yourself. I'm going to do the same thing when I get home. I have about 4 cigars I really have been craving to smoke.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts

Yeah I'm not really sure what to call it since its just gonna be me smoking. I'm not sure if that qualifies as a HERF or not. I think I'll just call it me sitting by myself smoking my ass off while watching movies :D

That seems appropriate.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

LasciviousXXX said:
Yeah I'm not really sure what to call it since its just gonna be me smoking. I'm not sure if that qualifies as a HERF or not. I think I'll just call it me sitting by myself smoking my ass off while watching movies :D

That seems appropriate.
I do the same at home.........

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

Yeah I was one of the lucky recipients of this from IHT. It's a gorgeous looking cigar, but I haven't smoked it yet. Figured I'd save it up for something. Of course that something might just be when I run out of all of the other cigars I got from that split.

·
Registered
127 Posts

I only had the opportunity to try the Monte Robusto it in 2003. I remember it being so oily and GOOOD. I ate and muched the thing up.

I was looking for sticks/box at my local tobacconist, and they were all out. Even phone calls to other shops in Canada... could not find a store that carried them.

Memories and forgotten aftertaste is all I have left :(

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

mr.c said:
I had one today, and I thought it sucked. No year on the band.

joe
The only ones I've seen without the year on the band were the Millenium series (out of this world!) and the ones in the robusto seleccion (these were a bit flat to me, only a year age though) The 01 L.E. Maduro's I've had were fantastic. Some burn issues with the thick wrappers, but tasting very good after 4 years!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts

Hey Fred, how have you been? havent seen you on much. In Gerard's book he shows them with no date on the bands.
The one I had, the draw was too loose, overcombusted nasty taste. I threw it out halfway. The flavour reminded me of a mag 46- which I dont like.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts

Some of the early MC Robusto El did not have a yar on the EL band.

There's a picture somewhere here on CS that shows two boxes side by side, onw with an EL band with date and with an EL band w/out date. I just can't seem to find it.

Overall, I've found the MC robusto EL somewhat disappointing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts