Cigar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my friday night smoke. A stick from a box of July 2004 (Code DTF). I love the '04 boxes... so hard to put them aside for aging.

Here is a picture.

The wrapper was so dark, shiny and oily. I have been eyeing THAT particular stick from my humidor. So smooth to the touch, even filled all around, good humidity (67%). I thought to myself that this will smoke really nice.

Light: The scent of the charred foot was really nice: toasted wood. As I was puffing, the stick caught flame very nicely. My lips tasted very sweet due to the dark wrapper.

First Thirds: Great chocolate and coffee flavors: dark roast coffee with honey. A clean aftertaste. The ash was a little crooked, but who cares.

Second Thirds: The introduction of different dark spices (pepper, nutmet) and leather? Very complex and rich smoke. The aftertaste was like eating a spiced-up nutella.

Final: A little tighter draw at the end. I wanted to really suck the flavors out of the finale. An explosion of flavors. The smoke never did get hot. The draw seemed to get tighter, due to my drool making the cigar soggy. Nonetheless, I managed to burn it to the nub.

This cigar was a very clean and refined tasting cigar. This cigar was one of the best un-aged montes I've had (I did manage to taste a fresh monte in Cuba... one of the spiciest Monte 2s I had).

This is definitely an ISOM classic. Every ISOM smoker (or non-ISOMer) should try this one out, because it exemplifies what ISOMs are all about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Re: Montecristo 2 (2004)

ju1c3r said:
This was my friday night smoke. A stick from a box of July 2004 (Code DTF). I love the '04 boxes... so hard to put them aside for aging.

Here is a picture.

The wrapper was so dark, shiny and oily. I have been eyeing THAT particular stick from my humidor. So smooth to the touch, even filled all around, good humidity (67%). I thought to myself that this will smoke really nice.

Light: The scent of the charred foot was really nice: toasted wood. As I was puffing, the stick caught flame very nicely. My lips tasted very sweet due to the dark wrapper.

First Thirds: Great chocolate and coffee flavors: dark roast coffee with honey. A clean aftertaste. The ash was a little crooked, but who cares.

Second Thirds: The introduction of different dark spices (pepper, nutmet) and leather? Very complex and rich smoke. The aftertaste was like eating a spiced-up nutella.

Final: A little tighter draw at the end. I wanted to really suck the flavors out of the finale. An explosion of flavors. The smoke never did get hot. The draw seemed to get tighter, due to my drool making the cigar soggy. Nonetheless, I managed to burn it to the nub.

This cigar was a very clean and refined tasting cigar. This cigar was one of the best un-aged montes I've had (I did manage to taste a fresh monte in Cuba... one of the spiciest Monte 2s I had).

This is definitely an ISOM classic. Every ISOM smoker (or non-ISOMer) should try this one out, because it exemplifies what ISOMs are all about.
Well done review and great pictures. The only Monte#2 I've smoked didn't taste like that........but the Monte#5's I've smoked have a similar taste profile to your Monte#2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,802 Posts
Re: Montecristo 2 (2004)

coppertop said:
Well done review and great pictures. The only Monte#2 I've smoked didn't taste like that........but the Monte#5's I've smoked have a similar taste profile to your Monte#2.
Hola! Just like what coppertop daid, great review.
I had a Monte no.2 during siesta today, well it is from a box of 04 also, first time I smoked a monte no.2 that is not even a year old and it seems that something is missing, the monte signature taste. I guess I have to wait for at least three more months and smoke it again. I'll smoke my VR Unicos tonight, that is something I guess about the Unicos, same age with the Monte no.2 , so young and so promissing... Don't get me wrong, Monte no.2 is my all time cigar too.. Salud!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Re: Montecristo 2 (2004)

Nice review!

I smoked a Monte #2 last night also....I think it was from an 03 box...not sure as I got it in a split. Mine was very, very good. I have a few in the humi and some in the cooler. The one I picked out had a yummy looking wrapper with some nice oils. Coppertop and I split some 04 #5's that are smoking very well. The #2 I had last night was more complex and burned cooler due to the larger ring guage...the smoke was softer...the best way I can describe it.

Glad you enjoyed it.....I enjoyed mine a LOT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Re: Montecristo 2 (2004)

pinoyman said:
Hola! Just like what coppertop daid, great review.
I had a Monte no.2 during siesta today, well it is from a box of 04 also, first time I smoked a monte no.2 that is not even a year old and it seems that something is missing, the monte signature taste. I guess I have to wait for at least three more months and smoke it again. I'll smoke my VR Unicos tonight, that is something I guess about the Unicos, same age with the Monte no.2 , so young and so promissing... Don't get me wrong, Monte no.2 is my all time cigar too.. Salud!
I have a box of Monte #2 from ABR 04 that have been resting as well. I wouldn't have posted, but I experienced what you did...a decent cigar that was a bit flat or as some people seem to say muted. It was about 2 months ago that I smoked it,so it was probably had about 8 months age on it...
I'm putting them down..as I now have my own taste buds to verify the "sick period-ology" I had some PSD4s that I was ready to trade off due to their lack of character...I decided to keep them as I kept hearing about their long sick period...it's a year later...they now have two years of age...and I am now a VERY happy man....interested to see how they are in a few more years...

Anyway, long story short..I now have a that nearly full box of Monte #2 from ABR 04 that will get tasted again before too long to see how they age...I love doing my own experiments to learn about cigars. It's interesting to read about aging and such...it's surprising and pretty exciting to experience for yourself..keep those Monte's around...I bet they'll shape up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
Re: Montecristo 2 (2004)

Nice picture and nice review.

I have one left from a box split that I was saving for a special occasion. I may smoke it sooner since I received a rather wonderful bomb with some other nice "celebration" smokes. This is a fantastic smoke. I also love the #4's creamy vanilla, coffee, and mild spice. very relaxing smoke.

T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Re: Montecristo 2 (2004)

Great cigar, was my favorite for a long time.
I have some early 04's that have come out of their original sick period.
.
My early 02's rock, only have a couple left.
These sticks age very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Re: Montecristo 2 (2004)

Good review...excellent pictures
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top