Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being thoroughly dissapointed with my Edmundo the other night, I thought it was a good to time to smoke and review a #2. Iv'e always loved these cigars, even though the quality has been up and down over the years. The box code is TDV Mar04. The construction on these is superb. The wrappers are on the darker side of colorado and a nice sheen, but not overly oily. I got this box in April 04. I smoked one right off the bat, and as expected not ready. Very young. Tried one again at the beginning of June, promising and much better but still a bit harsh. Ok, finally tried one again last night, the cigar totally blew me away! Draw and burn were perfect. I don't go into great detail with tastes, because they are subjective and hard to describe. The taste was the typical Monte profile, that sweet leathery tang. Very full and complex, exotic spice mixed with earth and leather is the best I can describe it. The aroma is heavenly. The sweet complex flavor just kept building, until it finally turned about a half inch or so before the band. I hope to age some of these, but it's going to be tough! There is no comparison in my book with the Edmundo. :c I love the Monte brand, but this Edmundo blend sucks. It pays to keep checking cigars you are aging. Sometimes they will turn around in big time in 4 or 5 months! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
Re: Monte #2

thanks for the review...now i'll have to fire up one of mine tonight; Sept 03. date. I smoked one about a month ago and was little harsh but could see the flavors starting to come through.

T
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
Re: Monte #2

With all the recent talk of Monte 2's I'm now itching to have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Monte #2

partagaspete said:
thanks for the review...now i'll have to fire up one of mine tonight; Sept 03. date. I smoked one about a month ago and was little harsh but could see the flavors starting to come through.

T
Hey Tony. I was really shocked these turned around so fast. I think a lot of variables determine how quickly cigars ferment. Humidity,temp, how much oxygen they get,etc. If someone was to invent a humidor chamber that speeded the process by double or triple, they might make a lot of money! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Monte #2

MoTheMan said:
With all the recent talk of Monte 2's I'm now itching to have one.
Do you have any good ones in stock? If not, let me know, I wanted to send you a housewarming gift anyway. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,431 Posts
Re: Monte #2

Had a Monte #2 in Montreal, and to simply put it, it was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked! Delicious with that rich ISOM flavor!

:u
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Monte #2

Wetterhorn said:
Had a Monte #2 in Montreal, and to simply put it, it was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked! Delicious with that rich ISOM flavor!

:u
Yeah, when they are on, very hard to beat! I've had a lot over the years that weren't that good either, but thats how it goes with Cubans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,522 Posts
Re: Monte #2

Did not smoke another #2 until today. You are right mine was better now! with gusto. I get a mild spice than woody flavors not as much coffee or cocoa as I expected, but (not sure if I am crazy) the most noted flavor was of caramel?? anyone?? As you say though flavor profiles are different from ape to ape. All I can say is delicious lip smacing taste and am currently 1 hr. done. I think I prefer the Boli Beli Fino better though (Am I a heretic?). :w One thing for sure all the harshness was gone

T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Monte #2

partagaspete said:
Did not smoke another #2 until today. You are right mine was better now! with gusto. I get a mild spice than woody flavors not as much coffee or cocoa as I expected, but (not sure if I am crazy) the most noted flavor was of caramel?? anyone?? As you say though flavor profiles are different from ape to ape. All I can say is delicious lip smacing taste and am currently 1 hr. done. I think I prefer the Boli Beli Fino better though (Am I a heretic?). :w One thing for sure all the harshness was gone

T
Bolivar is my favorite brand, but for some reason I've never really cared for the Beli. I haven't smoked a lot of them over the years (maybe a couple boxes), perhaps I've just not got any that were on? Love the R.C.'s,C.G.,and the P.C.'s.
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
Re: Monte #2

Fredster said:
Do you have any good ones in stock? If not, let me know, I wanted to send you a housewarming gift anyway. :)
Oops!
How did I miss this offer?
Someone put a light to my ear & tell me what's going on in my head? [LOL]

Thanks Fred, very generous of you. I've got plenty, including some that are nicely aging. BUT, I'd rather take you up on an offer sometime & smoke one with you in person.

MoTheMan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Monte #2

MoTheMan said:
Oops!
How did I miss this offer?
Someone put a light to my ear & tell me what's going on in my head? [LOL]

Thanks Fred, very generous of you. I've got plenty, including some that are nicely aging. BUT, I'd rather take you up on an offer sometime & smoke one with you in person.

MoTheMan
Sounds good. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Re: Monte #2

partagaspete said:
I think I prefer the Boli Beli Fino better though (Am I a heretic?). :w One thing for sure all the harshness was gone

T
I'm with you Partagaspete. Though I like the Monte #2 quite a bit (they have been very hit or miss for me...about 20% of those that I have are incredible...the others are decent.), I have a dress box of the Boli Belis that are currently my favorites along with RASS and Part short cabs. As people have been talking about aging in the above posts, I noticed that these Belicosos Finos (Nov '03) have changed very significantly for the better in the last month or two.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Monte #2

clovis said:
I'm with you Partagaspete. Though I like the Monte #2 quite a bit (they have been very hit or miss for me...about 20% of those that I have are incredible...the others are decent.), I have a dress box of the Boli Belis that are currently my favorites along with RASS and Part short cabs. As people have been talking about aging in the above posts, I noticed that these Belicosos Finos (Nov '03) have changed very significantly for the better in the last month or two.
I wonder how much luck has to play in someone choosing a favorite? Cubans are all hit or miss. Since I've never had a B.B.F. that was really on, It's not a fav of mine, but since I've had some Montes that were just awsome it is. I have had a lot of #2's that were nothing special though, also. Maybe with the current quality situation, it's time to try the Boli again? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Re: Monte #2

Fred - I am so glad you reviewed some Mar 04 Monte 2's. I splitt a box with someone in May and have not smoked one yet. I will have to smoke one this week and throw up a post. My box from early 03 is awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Monte #2

Bruce5 said:
Fred - I am so glad you reviewed some Mar 04 Monte 2's. I splitt a box with someone in May and have not smoked one yet. I will have to smoke one this week and throw up a post. My box from early 03 is awesome.
If they are still not ready don't worry it won't take long. I smoked one of mine early June and they still were't there yet. Then I smoked this one about a month later, and the change was unbelievable. If yours are the same they should be great around Sept. ;)
 

·
Chimpus herfustus
Joined
·
745 Posts
Re: Monte #2

About 2 years ago a friend begifted me 2 of these (sorry no boxcode guys) He said he didn't really like them and that they had been an expensive dissapointment. Well, I sparked one of these bad boys up last night and I tell you what, man was it awesome! There are so many factors that go into whether or not you enjoy a cigar. Your mood, the storage conditions, how long they've aged, the company you are in. This Monte I had last night was one of the best cigar experiences of my life. Thanks to my friend for his gift.

SB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Re: Monte #2

It's funny I just read this post, last night I had one of the oldest cigars that I bought, back in 1999, and it was a monte #2, wow it was so sublime, great spicy monte taste, that still tingled my lips and mouth, the cigar itself started out real mild, than it kicked in about 1/3 of the way, and was a great smoking experience, too bad i only have one left, maybe I will wait another 5 years on the other one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,973 Posts
Re: Monte #2

Smoked my first #2 this evening...probably should have waited a few more weeks so they could recover from their trip but I was itching to try this tonight (KMM DIC 04). Just a beautiful evening, so I took this out for a walk with the dog.

Beautiful wrapper and construction on this cigar. It did require some touchups on the burn but that was to be expected as the smokes have probably not adjusted to my humi in the week that I had them. All I can say is wow, what flavor in this cigar. Leather, wood, cocoa and something I could not put my finger on until I was reading some reviews tonight...lead pencil. I can't figure out why I would know that taste but that has to be what it is - some kind of light metallic taste. Turned a bit sour by the band - but being the stubborn person that I am, I still nubbed it. What a great cigar - gonna give these some more rest and then revisit.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top