Cigar Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a major problem. I think my humi might be growing mold. I have a few sticks with some sort of a growth on them, and when I opened my humidity device to refill it, I think it is molding. Luckily, it came when I have more cigars in my humi than ever before :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
TheSmokingHiker said:
I think I have a major problem. I think my humi might be growing mold. I have a few sticks with some sort of a growth on them, and when I opened my humidity device to refill it, I think it is molding. Luckily, it came when I have more cigars in my humi than ever before :rolleyes:
Brush the fluffy stuff off and smoke away. The mold won't hurt anything. Check your humidity level, I bet its a little high.

pjg

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
TheSmokingHiker said:
I used a tub of some water absorbing crystals from CI that developed mold before I even needed to add water. If you had mold on your humidifier and you have the same mold on your cigars, mold spores are probably everywhere inside your humidor. If the mold looks a different color, it may be the mold didn't sporulate and your humidity was just too high so mold grew in 2 separate places. It is going to be important to heep the humidity closer to 65% than 70, there are a LOT of molds that will not grow at 65% but find 70% just peachy. Get the 65% beads. Wipe off the affected cigars and smoke them.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
LOL I was going to ask the same thing......

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I had the same problem a few years ago with my 75ct humi and humidifier. So I threw out the humidifier and got me some of that green florist foam and made my own humidifier. I cleaned out the humidor and let it sit open for a few days then put it in the sun for an afternoon. I reconditioned the humidor inserted my new self made humidifier. About three weeks later I noticed some new mold on the florist foam, (I used 50/50 to charge it) I threw out the humidifier and the humidor (it wasn't that expensive).

Just goes to show you that mold is pretty tough to get rid of sometimes.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
dadof3illinois said:
Just goes to show you that mold is pretty tough to get rid of sometimes.
Concentrated hydrogen peroxide is probably the best stuff to kill all the nasties in an infected humidor ... breaks down to oxygen and water so no odors like hypochlorite (bleach). You would want to soak everything in or with the peroxide.

Sunlight is also good, but you probably need a week or so in full sun. I get 20% peroxide in lab, but I think you can buy some less concentrated stuff at any pharmacy that should be effective. Peroxide is what they use to sterilize tetrabrick packages in industry.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
Sometimes you get mold growing on store bought humidifiers, those little round fake credos commonly get mold growing on the element foam. Best just to toss it and get a few next time you go to the sto. The florist's oasis foam is very good, just build you a container with some small tupperware or a soapdish and get some 50/50 solution in the big bottle. Mold is no laughing matter :ms . Just give your cigars a squeese and see if they give alot. Overly moist cigars taste nasty, burn hot and steamy and draw poorly. Yur cigars should be firm with a tiny crackle when squeezed. blablabla

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Hey,

I just got a box of '00 Fonseca Kadets. It appears that there are small patches of mold that has formed on several of the cigars. You can see the yellowed spots on the paper/cloth wrappers. I slide a few of the sitcks out of the cloth to reveal the small growth spots. It looks too spotty to be bloom. What do you guys think? Here are a couple of pics.

If it is mold; it's not much. But what can I do about it? Can I eliminate it without ruining the cigars? Will they forever have to be isolated from my main humi(s)? Never had this before, so i'm a little lost.

Please assist.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I'm a Realtor and "MOLD" IS a bad FOUR letter word in this business... it is even worse to find mold in a transaction than asbestos now. Having dealt with a very professional mold abatement company... a lot of people think that bleach is good to use but it is not and can even be worse in some situations. What the mold companies actually use to treat and clean is good old simple green.

·
formerly Jokieman
987 Posts
If it is mold; it's not much. But what can I do about it? Can I eliminate it without ruining the cigars? Will they forever have to be isolated from my main humi(s)? Never had this before, so i'm a little lost.

Please assist.

Thanks!

just get as much of the mold off as possible & let them dry out a bit. I'm guessing they were over humidified and perhaps wherever they were stored didn't get a decent amount of air-exchange.

Also: Lose the wrappers so they can breathe better.

They should still be smokeable once you get them stabilized in a few weeks or more, but before you put them in with your main humidor, make sure you smoke one first to test it out. :)

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Jokieman said:

Please assist.

Thanks!

just get as much of the mold off as possible & let them dry out a bit. I'm guessing they were over humidified and perhaps wherever they were stored didn't get a decent amount of air-exchange.

Also: Lose the wrappers so they can breathe better.

They should still be smokeable once you get them stabilized in a few weeks or more, but before you put them in with your main humidor, make sure you smoke one first to test it out. :)
Burned one last night after work. Taste was super!! These are definately still quality smokes with nearly 5yrs of age! Once the mold id removed and they dry a bit; will they be safe to put back into my coolerdor? Will they have a tendancy to mold easier in the future? Sorry if I got too many questions, but MOLD is a bit scary!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
radar said:
Ooooops! Thanks Radar! LOL, but it's too late for me!! I had a Monte the other day that was covered in white stuff that I thought was bloom, too. Turns out (at least according to those pics!) that it was mold!

Mmmmm...tasted damned good, though. :al

·
Registered
549 Posts
Here is a helpful site:

http://www.neptunecigar.com/faq/cigars.asp?a=4&q=24

One other site said that it was best to clean the inside of the humidor with a towel wetted with distilled water only. No peroxide, soap or anything, I'm sure this varies amongst different smoker's experience but I don't want to take any chances when it comes to my puros you know what I mean?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.