Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know txmatt has recommended these before.

Professor Sila was a Dominican manufacturer that closed shop in 1999. You can still buy boxes of their cigars here and there, currently for as little as $13-$16 bucks a box (for toros) at certain auction sites ;) or at CI for $20-30 (toros are $30 there). The are very well made, construction is top drawer - textbook perfect burn and draw from the ones I have had. They come banded in slide lock boxes. Jeff Aiken tried the robusto and liked them (http://cigars.about.com/library/weekly/aa111602a.htm). I have not had the robusto, but I have had a few of the toros with connecticut wrapper and especials with sumatra.

I will warn you, they are quite mild, but they do not get ashy or bitter. They have a nice nutty taste, smoothness, great draw and burn that come with a few years of box age. Maybe not the first cigar you would choose for your own pleasure if you like stronger smokes, but certainly a good cigar to hand out to friends who are occasional smokers. At as little as 75 cents a stick, delivered, you can hand them out and not cringe. Although a bit too mild to get into my current rotation, they are as cheap as bundled cigars or seconds and yet have top drawer construction, smooth taste & are already aged a few years.

SeanGAR

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Thanks Sean. There will be a professor in the house next week. Good, mild and cheap visitor sticks are a must for any humi. Can't be proud and give them that fine stick you know they will hate/leave 3/4 laying in the ash tray.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
What size do you have on the way eef?

You DID have 6 more in 3 sizes on the way as well.

The sticks are amazingly well constructed, mild, yet have enough flavor to interest me. They burn as well as any $10 stick. The PC packs more flavor than the larger ones, but you can't find 'em anymore. The "Perla" size can still be found and I suspect it would be similar to the PC.

-Matt-

·
Registered
482 Posts
I smoked a Professor Sila Sumatra Expeciales 5.0x30 yesterday that knocked my socks off. Really though, I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar. I got started on the Profs because txmatt sent a couple over in my newbie sampler a little while back. So far, and this is not typical for me, I enjoyed the small ring gauge the most but they have all been good.

Eef, you have one coming in your pif, BTW. Actually I have 25 of the Perlas on their way too *wink* *wink*.

[hoping the costs of these stay down and people don't catch on too quick]

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
txmatt said:
What size do you have on the way eef?

You DID have 6 more in 3 sizes on the way as well.

The sticks are amazingly well constructed, mild, yet have enough flavor to interest me. They burn as well as any $10 stick. The PC packs more flavor than the larger ones, but you can't find 'em anymore. The "Perla" size can still be found and I suspect it would be similar to the PC.

-Matt-
I just sold my soul for a box of sumatra Perlas. They should arrive from the devil tomorrow. under $20 shipped for 25 quickie smokes is pretty much a no-lose for me.

·
Registered
482 Posts
eef said:
definitely lookin' forward to the funky pif.
-eef
I have them sitting here to be sent out today. I think I'll wait though because I have some sticks on the way that I'd like to include with the package. What do you think? Maybe next week or do you want them now?

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FunkyPorcini said:
So you missed out?
I only have 3 boxes of Toros and one of Especials... sniff sniff.... missed the Perlas and Robustos. But I got my prices, $13 for the toros CT shade, $16 Sumatra. Next time I'll get 'em (kinda like fishing).

floydp said:
Man I looked at them, and didn't bid. I regret that now..
The Robustos sold for 16-19 last 2 times I saw them, Perlas were 13-19 last 2 times. So if you bid early autobid up to those levels, you should be able to snag them. They come up all the time ... so you'll get your box.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
SeanGAR said:
I only have 3 boxes of Toros and one of Especials... sniff sniff.... missed the Perlas and Robustos. But I got my prices, $13 for the toros CT shade, $16 Sumatra. Next time I'll get 'em (kinda like fishing).

The Robustos sold for 16-19 last 2 times I saw them, Perlas were 13-19 last 2 times. So if you bid early autobid up to those levels, you should be able to snag them. They come up all the time ... so you'll get your box.
I have some CT Shade Robustos and Sumatra Rothschilds in addition to the CT PCs. In my experience with them so far the CT are a bit more flavorful. CI even had cameroons in them for a brief period but I never bid high enough to get ahold of those.

-Matt-

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The Perlas just arrived. Construction is excellent, and they have a nice mild aroma. I will surely have smoked one by 6 tonight - undoubtedly on my way home from work - so I'll chime in a little after that!

R

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
I had a fiver of the Cameroons (may have a couple left). It was a funky looking little figurado.......not bad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.