Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 3rd monthly auto ship brown bag from CI today. Included, like the first month, was a Memoria de Cuba. I had just nubbed the one that had arrived 2 months ago just a couple of days past, and was hopping/please to see yet another. Thank you sir. for another.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-4XB&cat=3&h1=1

The Felipe Gregorio factory in the Dominican Republic is home to several top-notch handmades by anybody's standards, including Pelo de Oro and Power. But, you don't have to spend top-dollar to enjoy the quality and consistency of his cigars. Proof, you ask? Memoria de Cuba. This attractive cigar is made with a balanced blend of aged Dominican long-leaf tobaccos inside a stunning Connecticut shade leaf. The result is an eventful, medium-bodied smoke deep in hearty flavors. The burn is slow, cool, and even, giving you a nice break from reality when a good cigar is needed.

When I selected the first one, it was just another cigar in a humi that was nestled among other present and past brown bag selections. Aristoff, Playboy, Don Thomas, Torano, Peterson, C2, Ancient Warrior. By appearance, or prior knowledge - physical or fiscal, there was nothing to differentiate it from the rest of the candidate cigars by either construction or appearance. So, I just picked this one for the mood I was in, a 6.5 x42, couple of wood matches, a single bladed cheap cutter, a 22 0z Coors Lite screw cap beer, Ipod, and a $2.50 cent attitude. (That is like 10 cigars for 20 bucks plus 5 shipping).

It pre lit smelt ,then cut, lit, and then smelt like smoke, and reminded me a lot of a cigar. It did not unravel at the top, leave tobacco bits in my mouth, was firmly built and burned evenly and ashed not what I could do for my cigar, but what my cigar could do for me. The ash fell of after about 1.5 inches and left a cone shaped ember behind.

I tend to be a power puffer, and this gar did not overheat, unravel, taste like I licked the ashtray about halfway down, but just stayed consistently healthy till about only an inch and a half was left. The draw was easy, and enough smoke to keep the Asian Tigers at bay. I will go with CI description from up top "The result is an eventful, medium-bodied smoke deep in hearty flavors. The burn is slow, cool, and even", I would put less emphasis on eventful and medium. But as we all know, every CI cigar is great.

Fifty of the bad boys are on the way to a humidor very near me, ($49.95). I will be packing up a couple of boxes for shipment to any country for any solider. Being deported will be the 5 Vegas Gold and Classic, RP's 90, 92 and sun grown, MdH 1066's, MC plats, and other stuff. I will have only Memories of them, and of Cuba left. It seems sensible to smoke a buck, in stead of 4 when the buck smoke is highly competitive with the 4. When these came on the market, the early price was 70 cents, and Mike's cigar has them for $3.00.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: Memoria de Cuba

Nice review. Crafty writing style. I smoked a couple of Felipe Gregorio's middling cigars long ago, but have never heard of Memoria de Cuba. Sounds like pretty good dollar value. Thanks for the review!

-Ken

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.