Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep failing to quit smoking Cigarettes. Going on 12 years or more at 3 packs a day is getting the best of me. I want to quit for my wife kids and myself (and to have more cigar money lol).
If you have any advice for me please pass it my way.

Thanks Lance

· Registered
158 Posts
I smoked cigarettes for 15 years and tried to quit several times by using an aid. What finally worked for me was just quitting cold turkey. I didn't change any of my habits, and continued my same routine. For example if when I got to work I had a smoke outside the building before I starting I went and stood there and talked to the same people and chewed gum or had a cup of coffee. You need to find something to replace the ritual of having a smoke. The hardest thing for me was when I was drinking, I pretty much had to quit drinking for the first six months as well. It was 99% a mental addiction for me and one day I just got sick of it and wanted to get healthy and be around and active for my kids. I wish you all the luck in the world. It is not easy and it takes a long time to get over, hell just typing this is starting to get me into a fit and its been three plus years since I had my last cigarette.
Some things that helped me get through the hard times where: gum, sunflower seed, in shell peanuts, coffee, hard candy.
Again good luck and best wishes.

· Removed per request
1,389 Posts

· ~Satori's Dad~
6,000 Posts
I smoked from 13 to 25..... yup I started young. Towards the end it was a pack and a half sometime more a day. I found out the easiest way to quit is:

DO NOT BUY ANOTHER PACK OF CIGARETTES

Thats how I quit, I just completely quit. smoked my last Kool Mild with my best friend at my side and havent smoked one since.. Even though I have started enjoying a cigar frequently, i'm not inhaling. Nicotene becomes a chemical dependacy, you can't let it get the best of you. Think how much you spend a week on average on chemically processed scrapped tabacco and times it by 52.............. it will supprize you how much you waste a year and can take a nice vacation like me and my girl did.

· Pipe Smokin' Piranha
7,335 Posts
Another cigarette smoker here also, in addition to cigars and pipes. I've been at the coffin nails for 28 years now and want to quit very badly. My Wife and I are both going to quit soon. She stopped for 5 years and started again with the stressed out last couple of years we've had. We WILL succeed!!! :tu

An the best of luck to all those of you that will be joining us in kicking the habit!!

But, as for my pipes and cigars, I will not be quitting those.

· Planeswalker
1,546 Posts
Been smoking cigarettes for about 10-12 years and really been wanting to kick it here recently to free up money for cigars. I find that after smoking a good cigar cigarettes taste like ass for a few hours after the fact. I figure if I just smoke a cigar every 2 hours I'll be off the cancer sticks in no time! :dance:

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another cigarette smoker here also, in addition to cigars and pipes. I've been at the coffin nails for 28 years now and want to quit very badly. My Wife and I are both going to quit soon. She stopped for 5 years and started again with the stressed out last couple of years we've had. We WILL succeed!!! :tu

An the best of luck to all those of you that will be joining us in kicking the habit!!

But, as for my pipes and cigars, I will not be quitting those.
I Will not give up cigars either.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you really think about it cigarettes are nasty as hell. I think Cigars are a whole diff thing. They go from out the ground to your hand and aged to change the taste. As for cigarettes they go from out the ground and then add a bunch of not so good stuff then your hand.
Am I worng on this?

Thanks Lance

· Planeswalker
1,546 Posts
If you really think about it cigarettes are nasty as hell. I think Cigars are a whole diff thing. They go from out the ground to your hand and aged to change the taste. As for cigarettes they go from out the ground and then add a bunch of not so good stuff then your hand.
Am I worng on this?

Thanks Lance
Not not wrong at all but once you get stuck on 'em they are a bitch to quit. I quit for about 3 years at one point then when I got a new job and started going out after work every night for a few beers with my co-workers, picked it back up :spank: Kick my self frequently for picking them back up. Quitting the first time was hard enough.

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not not wrong at all but once you get stuck on 'em they are a bitch to quit. I quit for about 3 years at one point then when I got a new job and started going out after work every night for a few beers with my co-workers, picked it back up :spank: Kick my self frequently for picking them back up. Quitting the first time was hard enough.
Well I did quit a few years back for about a year and half. Just like you I picked it back up in a bar.

· smokin' in the ocean
242 Posts
I second P Roberts suggestion. Cold turkey straight up! You also really deep down want to quit, if you don't, you'll never succeed. Remind yourself why you're doing this every time you get a craving and stick with it. The hardest part is definitely not smoking while drinking.

· Not Here
12,735 Posts
32 years now. Yep, started smoking cigareites at age 9. Have been smoking around 3 packs a day now for about 20 years. Have tried to quit numerous times but I guess I just don't have the personal motivators (kids, wife, etc.).

· Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
32 years now. Yep, started smoking cigareites at age 9. Have been smoking around 3 packs a day now for about 20 years. Have tried to quit numerous times but I guess I just don't have the personal motivators (kids, wife, etc.).
I will say I am not the best person to take advice from.
But you DO have yourself brother.

· Registered
1,634 Posts
I put cigarettes down about a year ago, I used Chantix, it seemed to work well...

The first two or three days were a little tense, but the fear of quiting was much worse than it actualy was.

Now, I'll say it... Im still addicted to tobacco, I smoke a pipe and cigars, the difference is now I dont inhale the smoke into my lungs, and I can smoke a pipe or cigar when I want to as oppossed to cigarettes, they had me... I couldnt go more than an hour or two before I had to stop what I was doing for a smoke.

Best of luck to anyone trying to quit cigarettes, it can be done and everyday it gets easier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.