Cigar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your input.
I have an approx. 2' x 2' x 3' floor standing humidor presently with a glass dish & floral foam (maybe 2 quarts) that sits under the bottom tray.
Two questions...would I better with activation solution or using the 70% media beads ?
And if using the activation solution...how much would I need?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Brian
The reading now is 68% and 69 degrees

·
Registered
369 Posts
With the florists foam method all you need to start out is a 50/50 solution of propylene (sp?) glycol and distilled water. I've got a few pints of PG and a few gallons of distilled water sitting around so I like to mix up a batch in reusable plastic squeeze bottles with nozzles for smaller humidistats. Otherwise I mix up a batch in a larger container and pour it over the foam until all of it is absorbed. If your charging the foam for the first time it's pretty thirsty stuff. I've never measured the amount. I just save what's left over for later. After that it's just distilled water for refills and the 50/50 about once every 3 months. This method works for me. It can be harder for the humidity to stabalize at a level you prefer than with the climmax media. From what I've heard the beads do a really good job at holding a steady humidity.

AFAIK, all you need for the climmax media is distilled water. I've also heard of some people using PG and distilled water but I really don't know if this has any effect on the performance of the beads. In fact, I'd tend to think it might be overkill. I don't use them so some other folks'll be able to help you out better in that regard.

Cheers!
-E

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.