Cigar Forums banner

McClelland #5100 Red Cake

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  tedski 
#1 ·
This is the first McClelland I have had that I have felt I could write an objective review on (yes, even after having the Frogs). Maybe it has some age on it, but I don't know. This is also the first McClelland I have had that doesn't smell like someone was eating a hot dog and dripped ketchup in the batch of tobacco. I am going to keep this one short because I am just too burnt out to write much.

A lot of firsts in this review, as this also happens to be the first McClelland I have actually enjoyed. It has great VA flavor, especially on a retrohale. It bites very little and provides a very smoky, enjoyable smoke. It burns nicely down to the bottom, requiring a little attention from the tamper. It burns medium-warm in the bowl and the smoke can get hot if puffed too hard. It is very mild on the nicotine, but this is a VA so it will come on slowly.

All-in-all, this may actually turn out to be a McClelland that I will buy more of. I am going to have a few more bowls to be sure, but I don't think I am wrong on this one. I even put this above FVF and HV on my list. It doesn't have the deep flavors of either of those, it just tastes better than FVF IMO, and doesn't bite like crazy like HV (as much as I like HV, it bites too much for me to handle).

EDIT:

I just looked up the price (it's a bulk) and at $52 a pound, it's not THAT good. This is a $30 a pound blend, not a $52 a pound blend IMO.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.