Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to ask a little question. I have never sent any items through mail, so, what do i have to consider for sending the cigars. Do i take the cigars preboxed or do they have to package them(Post Office)? consider that there might be some ISOMs inthere :D, and for the cigars to stay fresh it is enough to put them inside a Zipock bag right? well thats about it, if you can give some recomendations or tips, (which service to use\, etc...) that would be great.

Carlos Sanchez

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
WillyGT said:
Just wanted to ask a little question. I have never sent any items through mail, so, what do i have to consider for sending the cigars. Do i take the cigars preboxed or do they have to package them(Post Office)? consider that there might be some ISOMs inthere :D, and for the cigars to stay fresh it is enough to put them inside a Zipock bag right? well thats about it, if you can give some recomendations or tips, (which service to use\, etc...) that would be great.

Carlos Sanchez
Carlos,

Use baggies, if I mail a lot I may throw a humidification pillow inside. I never declare them as cigars, some idiots in the PO up here think sending cigars is illegal. Baggie them, use bubble pack and the rigid cardboard boxes to prevent damage. I use regular mail, more anonymous. If I have extra boxes I'll use a wooden box to ensure they are not damaged.
Sean

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
SeanGAR said:
Carlos,

Use baggies, if I mail a lot I may throw a humidification pillow inside. I never declare them as cigars, some idiots in the PO up here think sending cigars is illegal. Baggie them, use bubble pack and the rigid cardboard boxes to prevent damage. I use regular mail, more anonymous. If I have extra boxes I'll use a wooden box to ensure they are not damaged.
Sean
I do the same as SeanGAR, but I use 2 day or next day if its someone I really know. You can go to your local shop and just ask if you can have the AF humidipak, my guy gives them up for free!

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. And normaly what are the price ranges in this? 10-15 dlls? or more? for a small amount of cigars is it really necesary a humidifier? or just recomendable? Thanks

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
WillyGT said:
Thanks for the info. And normaly what are the price ranges in this? 10-15 dlls? or more? for a small amount of cigars is it really necesary a humidifier? or just recomendable? Thanks
It all depend on where your package is goin to and where its coming from for the price of shipping $15-$20 sounds a little safer, bout the humidifier; I highly reccomend it especially if your not gonna go with the 2 day.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you ship priority with delivery confrimation half a box of cigar should cost like $10. I did a box split recently and split two boxes of cigars. The total shipping including insurance was like $8, the box arrived the next day, USPS is the way to go, anyone else is just going to rip you off. I've yet to have a box lost or damaged by the UPS and they always arrive within 3 days...

·
-
11,412 Posts
the box of cigars i sent you (7 or 8) for winning my contest was sent priority mail USPS. i think it cost, with delivery confirmation, roughy $4.50-$5.50. ships in 3 days most of the time.

i normally double zip-loc baggie them, try to add some packaging peanuts or bubble wrap.

if i know i'm shipping cigars, i go to the PO and grab a handful of different sized priority mail boxes, take them home, package everything up, put address labels on, then take them in and ship them. if they have to ask what's inside, just BS what's in there. i've heard of some places who think they're johnny law and say that you can't ship cigars... which is not true. half the time i call them "art supplies".

anyway, just my $.02.

btw - did you get my package yet? i've been a bit busy and i fly out to alaska tomorrow morning... haven't had time to check the DCs online.

------------------

edit - just checked my reciepts and DCs. all 3 of my boxes that i shipped on FRIDAY at 4pm CST were delivered today! yours cost me a whopping $4.30 (all 3 combined were $15.10, all had DC, only one had insurance up to $100)... 1 went to MI, 1 went to MO, and yours in CA.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Here's what's worked for me:

1) Freezer Strength Zip-Lock bags seal well & will keep the cigars fresh for up to 2-3 weeks.
2) Don't really use a humidification source. Again, the bags seal so well, that before I close them, I exhale a deep warm breath into the bag then let some of the air out. The latent moisture left in the bag will keep the cigars fresh for the 2-3 week period mentioned.
3) I like using USPS. It takes 2-3 B-days to get to its destination, and for small packages (up to 1lb. I think -- about 8-10 cigars easy), it costs $3.85. Large/heavier packages, delivery confirmation, insurance, etc..., will add to the cost, but you can still send a box that way for under $8.
4) I have a local, large, post office, and they carry a number of different sized Priority Mail boxes, as well as labels, stickers, etc ..., that are avaiable at no charge. I use them quite a bit. You'll be surprised at how creative your packaging can get.
5) For packing material, I like to bunch up newspaper, or in smaller boxes, I find that lightly bunched up kitchen paper towel works very well.
:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
You can also get free boxes and shipping supplies from the USPS website. I find myself sending stuff often, so I ordered several sizes of boxes from them and tape. Now I don't even have to stop at the PO, because they will pickup at your door if you print your postage online!

·
Registered
831 Posts
2) Don't really use a humidification source. Again, the bags seal so well, that before I close them, I exhale a deep warm breath into the bag then let some of the air out. The latent moisture left in the bag will keep the cigars fresh for the 2-3 week period mentioned.
Ewwwwww....spreading germs!??? ;) I'd hope your breath doesn't stink before you blew on my smokes! :r On the otherhand, I hope you didn't eat a mint before you blew into my bag either! :D :r

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
filly said:
Ewwwwww....spreading germs!??? ;) I'd hope your breath doesn't stink before you blew on my smokes! :r On the otherhand, I hope you didn't eat a mint before you blew into my bag either! :D :r
Very funny!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.