Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really, but I am pretty pissed. Sick of poorly constructed cigars, that dont draw, tunnel, or canoe, which lately has been the rule not the exception! Then I got to thinking... it didnt seem to matter, many brands were subject to poor burning characteristics, and then I got to thinking some more,...lately I have been using a punch almost exclusively,I liked the aesthetics of the cigar after the punch, but I am beginning to think that the chimney effects of the punch alter the draw negatively. Am I crazy or have others encountered this? Frank B

·
-
11,412 Posts
if it's 46 ring or bigger, i normally use a punch, and have NOT had any problems with bad burns.

normally, if i'm getting a bad burn (canoe), it's due to the filler being all jacked up. and it's easy to see why when you look at the cigar, how twisted up the filler is at that point.

i, personally, don't feel using a punch causes a bad burn.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ditto on mad as hell. Almost every cigar, no matter the brand I purchase burns poorly. Humidity is not the problem either in my experience. A while back I even inquired into the possibility that my lighting technique might be the problem. I have noticed though that some cigars, usually the Cuban variety, will burn evenly even with a bad light so lighting is not it. I think it is just poor quality control. And despite the kind response from CAO, CAO is the most inconsistent in quality no matter the line or the size. CAOs by the way are my favorite cigars for flavor but burn problems are serial not rare as that CAO rep said. Plugging, tight draw, canoeing, tunneling all are problems. Dam I am getting madder as I type this!!!!

How come Cubans are so consistent in this regard even if they taste like crap they will burn and draw like a dream? The only non-Cuban that comes close to Cubans in quality of construction are the Hoyo de Monterreys but they are lacking in flavor and complexity. So I guess until that stupid worthless embargo is lifted we just have to put up with crappy quality from $8 to $10 non-Cubans. :mad: :c :sb

·
Registered
291 Posts
Me thinks you two are cursed, did you piss off the cigar gods :r Seriously, for me burn problems are a rare occurance. Some brands are more problamatic than others, but it has never been as bad as y'all two describe.

David, your idea that since the Cubans burn straight your lighting technique is not at fault is a fallacy, it could still be the problem. Do you keep your Habanos and Domestics in the same humi? I ask because most people keep thier Cubans drier than thier non-Cubans, this may be causing a problem also. Good luck, smoking cigars is supposed to be relaxing not stressful. I hope you figure out what the problem is and find a solution.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
Welcome to the world of CAOs. I have had nothing but trouble with them since they switched to Perdomo-rolled a few years back. Some of their cigars are still being rolled by Torano though, which is a good thing. At one time 3-4 out of every 5 cigars I smoked came from CAO, now its a rarity. Somewhere on the board CAOs quality came up, and I posted which cigars were rolled where...if you are interested.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Treyjo43: I keep my Cubans and Non-Cubans in the same Humi as I only have one. Bad lighting I guess can't of course be ruled out yet it is strange that every Hoyo I have smoked have all burned perfectly.

AAlmeter: I agree. My problem is probably due to my cigar selection. I really like the CAO maduro and Amazon and that is one reason I have so many problems. In fact a friend of mine gave me a box of CAO Toros and they all have burn and draw problems without exception. I have also noticed that the Amazon's flavor seems to be off. Any one else noticed this?

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
I cant find the post I made some time ago (maybe on a different board), but if I remember correctly, the maduros are being rolled by perdomo, as are the extremes. I think the Brazilias and cammys are rolled by Torano.

When you say you have trouble with the toros...which ones, the Maduros? Generally speaking, I have had very few problems with anything rolled by Torano and many problems with anything rolled by Perdomo. As far as taste, its been so long since Ive had a CAO that I dont even remember anymore. I just remember how good the Maduros were 4-5 years ago.

·
Registered
38 Posts
AAlmeter

The toros are maduro. These are the same cigars that exuded an ammonia smell after they had aged for six months. That problem seems to have disappeared now though. By the way, I purchased some extreme Tubos that were so poorly constructed that I cut them up and tried to smoke them in my pipe. Never do this it ruins the flavor--very harsh.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interesting how varied the experiences are. I too am upset when I see my LGCs burn awry which only happens every 1 out of 20 sticks or so...then I have a bunch of cheapo Thompsons lonsdales that seem to burn perfectly but that is likely easier to achieve with a smaller guage cigar?

In any case, a bad burn is just another reason to try another brand and light another smoke, neither of which is really the end of the world!

Good input guys. PS: I like to use a cutter just because I like the action and sound of the *snip*

:w

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.