Vitola: Piramide
Length: 6.5"
Ring Gauge: 52
Location: Back deck, sunset, outside temp 84 degrees @ 66% RH
Drink: Bottle of Water
Time:
115 Minutes

Preliminary Observations:

Smell: When I pulled the cigar out of my humidor this evening, you could immediately start to smell the sweetness the M. PDR has to offer. A very dark, chocolate, and oily wrapper just makes this an attractive smoke. As I observe it a little closer, I take in the sweet aromas of chocolate, musky wood smell, and a dash of cream.

Construction: I begin looking at the overall construction of the cigar. Just one quick look and you can tell the cigar was rolled with a gentle pair of hands. As for the overall feel of the cigar, it's very firm, rolled and tucked well, but if you squeeze it just a little, it will give some room. At the head of the cigar, just a perfect cap to give it the Piramide look. On the other end, the classic unfinished foot which I think is nice to help protect cigar itself.

The M. PDR measured roughly 6.25" (which may have been under a little) according to my calculations, but standard size is the 6.5" with a ring gauge of 52.

A great picture of the cigar overall where you can notice the chocolate color of the wrapper and oils. The construction again is just superb and flawless. There isn't an imperfection with the build of this cigar anywhere that I can see it's that good.

A nice shot of the unfinished foot, just love the look when rollers leave it this way.

Enough examination of the cigar, it's time to cut the head and put it to the flame. Using my Xikar cutter we get a nice, clean, and smooth cut. Just an awesome razor sharp cut.

Next I pull out a nice set of wooden matches and begin the process to burn away the unfinished foot to make way for the cigar. A few matches and puffs in and what do we find? A beautiful white as snow ash with a razor burn.

First Third:

After a few quick puffs when lighting the cigar I began to notice a smooth combination of flavors in the first third of the M. PDR. My first hints straight away was a mixture of cream and chocolate. Just a heavenly mixture between the two that leaves your mouth watering for more. A little further in, just a tad of spice, pepper, and leather start to mix in the with the cream and chocolate. What's nice is you just get a dab of the spicier flavors, where it does not overwhelm the sweetness of the cream and chocolate. I really believe this is why the cigar is so good, because of how well all the flavors combine together, but leaves the more full bodied flavors of pepper and leather off in the distance till later on. A few more puffs and more of the beautiful white ash appears with loads of smoke coming off the end. In between puffs, you can still smell the sweetness the cigar has yet to offer. Based on what I've experienced so far, one would think this is going to be a mild to medium bodied smoke.

Second Third:

Were well into the cigar now and you can really start to tell things are heating up. Although, I'm still getting a great combination of cream and chocolate, but the spice and pepper is doing a wonderful job to make it's presence. Right now I'd say I'm getting about a 50/50 combination of the sweeter flavors with stronger hints of leather and pepper. I'm not a huge fan of pepper in cigars, but it's not so strong where I do not enjoy the cigars because the sweeter flavors are hanging around to make me want more of the M. PDR. I'm still getting a load of smoke and the snow white ash is still beautiful. What's amazing, not one single burn issue at all. Ever since the light of the cigar, I haven't had to touch it up, or even attempt to re-light it either. There is a slight little breeze coming across the deck, so one would think a slight tough up is required, but not with this cigar. Just a cloud of smoke and tons of flavors keeps it burning and me puffing away.

Final Third:

As we near the end of the cigar, the sweetness is starting to die down and the roaring flavors of spice and leather are really making their move. It was a slow transition from sweetness to more of a spice, which I like. Too often does it seem like a cigar goes from sweet to spice, like a light switch. The entire smoke as been about the perfect timing of the flavors. Puff by puff the flavors start to do a gradual change, rather than a sudden jump from each third of the cigar. I love it when a cigar can do this. To me, it's all about timing and where it doesn't create a shock to the palate waiting for me to put the cigar out. Instead, I want more till I can't possibly smoke anymore. Once I reached the halfway point of the M. PDR, we went from a medium bodied smoked to more of a full bodied smoke. The last thirds, down to the numb was without a doubt a full bodied smoked. With the loads of spice, pepper, and leather, no doubt the end packs a nice little punch and puts you down for the count.

Closing and Final Thoughts:

Wow! Just wow. What a very tasty and delightful cigar. I've had the pleasure of smoking a few of these M. PDR custom rolls now and each and every time the cigar never fails to amaze me. The flavors each and every time is just spot on. Not once have I ever had an issue with burns. In fact, I don't believe I've ever had to touch up any of the cigars I've smoked. Whether it be inside or outside. The flavors are just so appealing to me. The mixture starting off with the cream and chocolate keeps me begging to smoke another one right away. The kick of the cigar picks up as you dig deeper and deeper, but not to the point where it's so overpowering you want to throw it out. As I said before, it's all about the perfect timing of the flavors kicking in and this cigar does it exceptionally well. To be honest, you could pair this cigar up with many of the other Habano sticks that exist and it would be a top rated cigar each and every time. In the end, it's truly a delight to sample this fine treat. Luckily I snagged a few of these just shortly after they announced they would no longer be available. What few I have left, will remain in the cooler for days to come before be putting to death.

Thank you for reading my review and I hope you've enjoyed the experience as much as I have.

Starbuck (aka David)

Just an added picture I took while playing with the camera and smoking. I really light how the flame inside of the cigar reflects off the cutter. Just thought I'd share the cool moment.

· Registered
2,323 Posts
Wow David...great review Sir! :thumb:

Your review is concise and well written...the photos are not only great, but they added a lot to the review...I trust your opinion and I really enjoyed reading the review!

Thanks for sharing!!!

· THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
34,863 Posts
Very nice review David! Great pictures well written! Thanks for your opinion which i value!:thumb:

· Zen Master ZingTwang
1,450 Posts
Great review David!! Nice photos too.

keep them coming.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Great review! The Piramides are absolutely fantastic (can't speak to the other vitolas)!!! It would take an act of God to get the two I have left away from me. lol

· THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
34,863 Posts
Great review! The Piramides are absolutely fantastic (can't speak to the other vitolas)!!! It would take an act of God to get the two I have left away from me. lol
Wow that good huh!:tape2:

· Money Never Sleeps
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, thank you, thank you all for the kind words and support. As you guys know this was first real review and I must admit it was a lot of fun. For several months I didn't believe I was ready to conduct a full blown review. Now that the first one is out the way, there will be many more to follow. Again thank you everyone for the encouraging words!

· Money Never Sleeps
3,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great review. I agree with you completely, these cigars are fantastic. I'm sad I only have 4 left, if I'd known they wouldn't be around for a while I would have bought a whole box.
Justin when I got word they were going to stop rolling the PDR, I emailed the shop and said let me know what you have left and I'll buy them all. Unfortunately I was too late as others beat me to the punch. There are still a few around that can be bought from private sellers, but as you know, this is just an awesome stick and they are not likely to give them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.