Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know a thing about lighters. I just use bic lighters and wood matches to get the job done. Sometimes I'll get fancy and light a cigar with a cedar spill. I almost always toast. A few questions...

What methods do you use to light cigars?

What advantages do you see in these methods?

What are the apparent advantages and disadvantages in the use of upscale lighters (eg Dunhill, Colibri, torch lighters...)?

For me bics are quick and convenient. I haven't noticed any off flavors from the lighter fluid. I tend to use wood matches and cedar spills when I'm burning a better cigar just to be careful and avoid any chance of developing off flavors from lighting.

Your thoughts and experiences are appreciated as always!

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
I did use bic lighters for about 8 months then I bought a mid-scale lighter. I am quite happy with the Vector Gear I bought ($65) it holds butane for about 50 lights and is a strong wind resistant torch. It is confidence and ease of use why I went that route. I am thinking about buying the Pinnacle lighter Vector makes, it isn't as windproof, but it is a sturdy lighter that really does last 125 cigars on one tank, with a beautiful flame.

All the nicer lighters are out of my price range, I would have to sacrifice cigar cash! But I've heard some very good things about Dunhills, not very good about Colibri. rns

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm with you eichen, matches all the way, bic in the car. Too cheap to spend my allowance on a nice lighter yet.

I use those big wooden kitchen matches and wait for the little bulb of sulfur to burn off, but what's been annoying me is the flake of ash that invariably floats in the air from the sulfur after lighting.

I'm looking at getting some sort of table lighter next, either an old collectible or a commercial mini torch, both cheap. Time to go antique shopping again...

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
right now i use long wooden matches. i hated my colibri and finally gave up on it. hopefully ill get a vector for my birthday in a couple weeks....already got a nice new xikar for christmas

·
Registered
718 Posts
For the longest time I just used wooden matches. Stay away from paper, the wax definitely will affect the flavor of your cigar. Got a lighter as a bonus in an order from JRCigar. Cheap, piezo-electric, single flame. Basically, a refillable Bic. That worked well enough, but it was useless in any kind of wind. My Secret Santa this past Christmas gave me a Nibo triple-flame Space torch. I really like it. Don't know exactly how many cigars I can light on one tank, but it works very well in all kinds of wind. Just found out the local Total Tobacco shop stocks Lava butane for just $4.95 a can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got a Colibri that worked great for over a year & then one day........ Pfffffft crapped the bed on me , It's in "the shop" as we speak, my local guy where I bought it sent it back to Colibri for me at no charge so we'll see what gives when I get it back......soooooooooo if it happens again that's IT for the Colibris!.........................:u

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So torch lighters are wind-proof?

When I was in school I got pretty good at toasting and lighting with matches outside, even in a breeze. Lots of matches and lots of crouching in corners, behind plants, the lee side of walls...

One Friday evening as I was crouched behind a large ash tray lighting up, some drunk walks up behind me and asks, "Are you ok?" I reply, "yup, just lighting a cigar". Hee-hee, they though I was puking...:D I think the drunk gave me the "ew! a cigar!" look after that.

BTW, thanks for the posts above. Keep 'em coming if you've got stuff to add!

·
Bull Goose Gorilla
796 Posts
In my opinion Bics, or wooden matches or spills are all just fine for lighting cigars. Anything more has mostly to do with style or ego and certainly does not impact the flavor of a cigar. I like cigar toys and have accumulated a bunch of lighters, cutters, cases, tubes, etc. etc. I just like the stuff and have enough disposable income to pamper myself. Also for many years I had a good friend who owned a cigar shop and I would trade services with him. I got some things that I might not have gotten otherwise. A good lighter has a heft and feel in the hand that is pleasurable. There can also be a wonderful feeling of elegance. If I am drinking beer at a barbecue I might bite the end off my cigar and light it with a Bic. However if I am at the bar at the Ritz Carlton after a fabulous dinner it is nice to have a 25 year old Macallan and cut my cigar with my gold Davidoff cutter and light it with my lacquered ST DuPont lighter. If that sounds snotty to anyone tough shit. However, ultimately the true taste of a great cigar is not enhanced or diminished by the method of lighting, but sometimes the overall experience can be enhanced by the accoutrements.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sgoselin: I think I see what you mean. After I graduated I bought myself a fountain pen. I actually didn't think I'd use it as much as I do but it's such a joy to write with. It looks and feels better in the hand and functions as well as or better than any other pen I've used. It definitely enhances the experience whether I use it for journaling or for jotting down reminders. The fountain pen performs the same function as a ball point but with more class, style and elegance.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
I pretty much agree with what sgoselin had to say. i find most of the flavor stuff to be bs, with one exception. once, while lighting with a bic in the wind I could definitely taste the fluid on the first few puffs. It didnt ruin the cigar at all, just the first few had the taste. I think this was because i had to hold the lighter right up to the cigar for quite a while to get the thing lit.

the only thing i hate lighting with is paper matches, simply because it either takes several lights or burnt fingers to get a 50+ going.

one thing i do like lighting with is an old pocket brazing torch i found in my basement that runs off of alcohol. it has a really fine flame and i have never noticed bad flavors because of it. plus a trip to the drugstore and $1 will get you a years worth of fuel.

found it here on ebay.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3265017034&category=39728

i polished it up and it looks decent...nothing great but its a functional desk lighter....plus it really doesnt need to be nice looking because who would mock a guy with a blowtorch in his hands?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Blowtorches! I would've never thought about that but then again it's basically a larger version of the small torch lighters (or the other way around), isn't it? Very intersting.

Sometimes directly after lighting with a bic I blow out though the cigar. I read that this would get rid of any off flavors from the fuel (CA website I think). Is this a reasonable practice or unnecessary?

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Eichen-

Here's a picture of me lighting a Padron '26 with my new Cohibri 8-flame lighter. There's no off taste because there's nothing left of your cigar!!! :D
SB

Attachments

G

·
Like your lighter Silvr, Own one of those Colibri single flame torch & no problems. Lit a cigar in the wind to test, cigar lit just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.