Cigar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this was a truly weird movie.

My fiance' and I went to see this movie this past weekend, it has Bill Murray (who I really like as an actor) and also stars Willem DaFoe in a bizarre role. The main gist of the movie is Murray's character, Steve Zissou, is a documentary film maker who has been making aquatic features for some number of years. After the tragic loss of his first mate he sets out on a quest to find the shark that ate his friend and kill it.

Ok after this point it gets really weird with many subplots vying for control of the screen. I'm kind of at a loss for how to explain the rest of the movie as I'm not really sure what the hell was going on most of the time. I'm not sure how most of the events happened and I'm even less sure of how they tied in to make a cohesive movie. You know what it reminded me of....... if the album "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" took about six hits of acid and then decided to make a movie out of the sh*t that went on in its head. That's kind of what the movie was like.

However, it did have many parts that were hilarious in a weird sort of way. The humor in it was a dry sense of humor but Bill Murray did a good job of playing an eccentric character (big stretch there).

Overall, I'm not really sure how I felt about this movie. I really don't know if I like it or not. Very strange movie, but I think it will require a second viewing to know for sure.

If you are feeling adventurous, check it out. I would like to know what everybody else thought about it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'll be waiting for this one to hit the video store. Looks funny, kind of a spoof on Jaques Cousteu. I thought Murray's last film, Lost in Translation was terrible :rolleyes: , but then the ctics loved it.

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GOAT,

It wasn't as pointless and lacking in direction as "Lost in Translation" but it did have some of that quirky/indie movie feel to it. "Lost" seemed to just wander in and out of plot almost at whim and it certainly didn't take the viewer anywhere but at least "Life Aquatic" began and ended somewhere and you actually enjoyed some of the journey.

Yeah, it probably can wait till it hits shelves.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I loved it. It is definently unique, but I felt like I got my moneys worth. You just have to go into this movie with a very opened mind. Dont expect much of a plot, just enjoy all the little random bits of humor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.