10,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: La Gloria Cubana
Medaille d'Or No. 4

Size: Size: 6 x 32
Shape: Slim Panatela(Palmita)
Smoke Time: A little over and an hour

Initial Thoughts:
I've been anxious to try this cigar which was gifted by Joed. Not sure of the exact age but if you know Joe, it's got age. Pre-light draw was a bit tight and I considered "poking it", but decided against it.

Smoking:
Now because of the small ring gauge I wanted to take my time with it…I did …and was not disappointed. This was a very rich, fragrant smoke that burned perfect throughout. The flavor had the "classic" LGC fruity taste and I'd say some subtle maple syrup hints and somewhat toasty .

If you try these smaller ring gauges be sure to take your time and "sip". I found that rushing it produce a "hot" taste, definitely not what you'd want from this medium body cigar.

Note:
As far as the draw, I did try the poker but stopped after about a half inch cause I noticed it beginning to crack the wrapper. Not sure why, but I'm assuming it was due to the small ring gauge. Turned out I didn't really need it after all.

Final Thoughts:
This is a wonderful, rich and relaxing cigar that I'd highly recommend giving it a try.
Thanks Joe!

(Author's note: Last reviewed 1/16/07, but I'm giving it a review anyway.)

· Registered
1,601 Posts
Re: Medaille d'Or No. 4

I typically like the Md'O cigars as an afternoon smoke. I have found them to be quite mild myself. I just had a 98 Md'O #2 - perfect burn as well, fruity tastes seem to have given way to more earthiness and light spice over the years. The newer ones may in fact be more flavorful. Great aroma with nice twang and not much vitamin N. Overall a very relaxing, subtle smoke that doesnt command attention - in some cases, that is exactly what I need.

· Registered
2,009 Posts

Smoked an example from the 1970's yesterday as my 1st cigar. Very good cigar although the draw was a bit tight on the one I smoked. I really enjoy the LGC brand as a whole...very underrated.

· Registered
2,576 Posts

Blake -

Nice review and glad you liked the cigar - It wasn't really that old - a 1994 production release!

Until next time - remember to smoke a good one every day!

ps. - I think that the wrapper is impacted by the cold weather. - just a little.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.