Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... you had an online friend (or at least an online associate of the leaf) who was contemplating a trip to the dark side.

This AOTL was going to take the plunge and buy 3-5 boxes as his initial purchase. He however is currently a Domestic kinda guy with just a few sticks from Castros paradise (which are still chillin from their bomb run).

Figure 2 boxes to sit and 2 to smoke and up to $ 1000 is the desired total purchase. He typically likes 50 ring robusto - toro size cigars but taste is the primary consideration. He likes mild, medium and strong cigars with interesting flavor profiles being the criteria.

What advice would you have to post here regarding cigars?.

In addition as he desires to promote international trade so given the rules here would Probably Manage to find somewhere to acquire these through some alternative form of communication. Sorry having some editing problems and should exit this post.

In theory - your advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Pickin a Winner!
1,193 Posts
Theoretically, I would choose a 50 cabinet of Partagas shorts, a 50 cab of Bolivar Petit Coronas, a box of Montecristo #2 and box of Rafael Gonzalez Lonsdales

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
I would sit my friend down after a long, long hug, and after I stop crying, I would try to stop him from going over the edge ......... the drop is long .... the landing hard ..... but I gotta admit, the ride is oh so sweet .......

·
Registered
374 Posts
Impressive work - I had to call up the Hardy Boys to figure that one out. Even more impressive is the $1K ceiling. Those importers must have quite the lucrative business.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Lot's of great choices above. I'll second the Party Shorts and Monte 2's. BBF, Monte 4, PSD 4, Cohiba Robusto, RyJ Ex #4, RASS, HDM Epi 2, and on and on :D

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well for one, just because someone likes 50 size ring gauge that doesn't translate to ISOM becuase ISOMs are inheritly strong and more complex. So that's why you see a lot of smaller ring gauges in ISOM. As for that I would recommend HdM Epicure #2, excellent cigar, I also agree you can't go wrong with a Monte #2.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Lets see if I got this right:

YOU WANT TO BUY 3-5 BOXES OF CUBAN CIGARS AND YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT PEOPLE RECOMMEND, YOU HAVE $1000 TO SPEND, AND YOU NEED A SOURCE, RIGHT?

I'm really glad you came right out and said it. Too many people are so paranoid that they think they need to speak in some lame, sophomoric code like ISOM and the "dark side". Like freakin' Customs is watching or something. It's one thing to................................................excuse me a minute.

Sorry, gotta run. There's a bunch of black cars outside and I hear a helicopter circling the house. Someone send me a file in a DC, will ya?
Thanks!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Partagas Shorts, San Christobal de La Habana
la Fuerza, cohiba Robusto, Punch koronations
Ok, I Had To Spell A Word Wrong.
Any Of You Super Sleuths Know Which One.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PDS really needs to change the PM limit to some higher number. Sorry I Managed to purge it.

Thank You to those of you who have posted thoughts here and the many Hardy anonymous brethern who have given some initial guidance. Any Additonal thoughts would be appreciated. Been compiling the sugest for Numerous calls on Monday. Gotta get a time zome thingie. I think it's Kinda a long day. It's interesting that after all these years it's like a light Suddenly came on and its time to take the plunge. Time to go vertical.

·
-
11,412 Posts
Bruce5 said:
Partagas Shorts, San Christobal de La Habana
la Fuerza, cohiba Robusto, Punch koronations
Ok, I Had To Spell A Word Wrong.
Any Of You Super Sleuths Know Which One.
you spelled more than 1 wrong, but that's alright. i'm not the clubstogie spellcheck.
cristobal, and coronations.

----------------------------

on topic:
if you had $1000 to spend on cuban cigars and needed a place to spend them, you could always try and look at the clubstogie retailer forums. there are other websites who have forums for retailers as well...

when i was new, i was told to do the legwork myself... if i were to just come out and ask "where can i buy cuban cigars", i'd have been ripped a new one (not this site though, i learned from that first site to do the research on my own until i was sure i could not find the answer myself)....

also, if you check the guidelines that PDS has posted, item #1 states - 1) DO NOT ask how to buy Cubans in the United States. Cuban cigars are illegal in the U.S. We suggest reading through the forums for more information, or you can check out the following link from the United States Customs Department.

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/alerts/cuban_cigars.xml

but if i had $1000 to spend, and i loved robusto sized cigars that had plenty of flavor and were all over in the strength department....
1 box of Boli RCs (strong)
1 box of VR Famosos (mild/med)
1 cab of JL Sel #2 (med/strong - for me anyway)
1 cab of HdM Epi #2 (med)

of course, that might be a little more than $1000.... and my version of how strong a cigar is will be different from others'. i've had some JL #2s that have knocked me down a notch or two...

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
You'll get nothing from me.......mostly because I agree with IHT and IMHO all those pictures you've posted don't really tell me what kind of person I'm dealing with. I've helped a few other who were smart enough to do this through PMing me. Since your not suppose to come right out and ask......

D Generate if you liked the VR and PSD4 you'll love JL#2.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
coppertop said:
You'll get nothing from me.......mostly because I agree with IHT and IMHO all those pictures you've posted don't really tell me what kind of person I'm dealing with. I've helped a few other who were smart enough to do this through PMing me. Since your not suppose to come right out and ask......

D Generate if you liked the VR and PSD4 you'll love JL#2.
CT can I take the last part first.

PM me and I can give you my mom's number. Took her to dinner tonight and she once again said I was special. In addition to the pictures I posted there have been a few words as well. Hopefully in between the good spirited (at least that has been the intent) humor you may have found a few posts that would give you an insight into what type of person I am. You must have been bummed when Life magazine went out of print for a while. My memory is good .... I think it was pork.

If my inferred sourcing assistance upset your sense of decorum well then I'm sorry. You and the other dwellers faned the flames of a long smoldering, but repressed through fear of the unknown, desire to sample the forbidden leaf and once corrupted, gave in to the dark side.

Regarding the question on cigar choices and that was the only request for public posting... well it was real similar to ....

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Thanks for posting that..........but I didn't come out asking for a source. All I was doing was asking for help on which to buy. Simple. I can tell you have a sense of humor......which is great. Believe it or not, so do I. I don't read LIFE magazine.....so I didn't know they went out of print for awhile. Also I don't really care what you think of my life. I don't spend all my time posting on this forum. It took me over a yr to get 1000 posts. You have half that in a month. I don't recall seeing any cigar reviews you did. But I could have missed them. I really don't care if you post pics.......they provide humor, fine, good. But all that tells me is that you have a sense of humor. It took me a long time before I was even given a decent source. And even then I didn't ask, someone PMed me and IHT....we then called him on the phone from Germany to talk to him. He doesn't post here very often anymore. And to be honest I miss seeing his reviews and posts. He also had a sense of humor. But he also contributed a lot to this forum. I'm sure someone PMed you a source. I was just saying that you did it in a manner I think is inappropriate. You could have asked for choices. Then picked a few people to PM and asked for sources that way. But you decided to go about it here..........

I'm not saying anything against you as a person. We are all special. Too late to take it back, so I will just say I'm sorry for insulting you.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Point taken and thank you for taking the time to explain your position. You are exactly correct about the reviews "here". I have posted many reviews in top 25 (some I wish I hadn't) but am guilty of what I harrassed Khat on just this week. Something I will rectify.

It's interesting that the majority of the PM's I got were from Newbies and BOTL's requesting the results. Hopefully our dialog here along with IHT's suggestions will be as helpful to them as it has been to me.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Me too......I was an asshole earlier, and I'm sorry. I have had a bad day, and took it out on you. So I apologize. I hope someone gave you something you could use. So here is what I should have posted the first time

Try...

CAB of Party Shorts
CAB of JL#2
LGC#4
CAB of Punch Punch
CAB of HdM Epicure #2

The LGC are a thinner ring guage (32) and about 6" long. But they are really flavorful and there construction is top notch. Their draw is effortless and very rewarding

I would also reccomend PSD4s. I guess that gives you some more things to choose from.

Once again, I know I was an asshole. Not saying I didn't mean what I said. Just saying I could have done it in a more polite and CS manner.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you. I was kind of a Dickhead myself. It comes a lot more naturally to me. Think of me as one of those underage athletes here. Got the stamina just not the maturity yet. Gonna make mistakes.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Da Klugs said:
Thank you. I was kind of a Dickhead myself. It comes a lot more naturally to me. Think of me as one of those underage athletes here. Got the stamina just not the maturity yet. Gonna make mistakes.
Your welcome.........I know better then to bring work home with me. But sometimes you have those days where you want to punch your boss square in the face,(and no I'm not talking about IHT) well this was one of those days.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
coppertop said:
Your welcome.........I know better then to bring work home with me. But sometimes you have those days where you want to punch your boss square in the face,(and no I'm not talking about IHT) well this was one of those days.
I wrote this a long time ago when my last (and I mean last) boss was jerking around the comp plans for everyone who worked for me. His favorite line when sticking it to us by not fulfilling his promises was its not personal just business.

IT'S NOT PERSONAL, JUST BUSNIESS

It's not personal, just business.
We work receiving money, which enables us to have freedom from servitude.
There is no rule stating you start early and stay late if you want to get ahead.
Business inevitably becomes personal.
We give our souls freely to the business as it becomes more personal.
The soul of a business is drawn from each caring participants contribution.
The business fails to nurture its collective souls at its peril.
It nurtures based upon the rules of "Its not personal its just business" or corporate self interest.
Organizations should operate in their own self-interest.
Self-interest by definition starts with self.
Absent corporate self-awareness or mandated proportionality,
rewards flow disproportionately from contributions in a given time period.
Awareness of true self-interest is a matter of perspective and consequences.
Potential consequences are by definition supposition based upon possible outcomes.
Personal enlightenment comes from understanding a businesses perception of self-interest.
Corporate enlightenment comes from actual consequences, which differ from supposition.
The definition of business self interest evolves based upon actual consequences.
The art of optimizing business self interest is to avoid absolute consequences while maintaining disproportional benefit, in this profit is generated.
Profit is the businesses definition of self-interest.
Dysfunctional organizations operate in ways other than their true self-interests.
When businesses actions are not in their self-interest it is either an act of charity or corporate insanity.
Charity is a conscious use of profit.
Corporate Insanity is an unconscious use of invested corporate soul.
Corporate Insanity and profits can exist simultaneously only until all corporate soul is consumed.
What you have left is not personal, just business.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts