Cigar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Minister of Propaganda
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has recently come up that the market is being flooded with very convincing fake Cohibas and some questions have arisen in another thread here about LCdH Cancun (largely because I questioned the authenticity of some previous purchases). Some have mentioned that any cigar in the tourist area is suspect, while others have noted only good experiences with the LCdH. I’m not making any accusations that LCdH Cancun sells fake CCs. I don’t believe I’m enough of a CC expert to make that accusation. I only want to relay what I’ve seen.

I recognized a few of the workers today from my last visit. I certainly can’t call myself an “regular” with how infrequently I’m down here, but this place is quickly becoming a favorite stop. Great mojitos, friendly staff, and a fantastic porch to sit and smoke.

I’ll post several pictures in the following comments- there are too many for a single post. My apologies in advance for their poor quality. Pictures are prohibited inside of the humidor and I had to quickly snap what angles I could before I got in trouble.

There are a ton of CCs of every brand and size, and Cohiba takes up as much, if not more, space than any other. It does not appear that LCdH Cancun is having problems with Cohiba supply.

I did note a couple of “sampler packs” you’ll see in pictures. These made me somewhat suspicious, but I suppose they could have made their own sampler packs from authentic CCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
4,438 Posts
For a market that is supposed to be almost barren right now, that’s a lot of Cohibas
I suppose it’s possible they are still stocked from before the real shortages hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Minister of Propaganda
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These in particular caught my attention because a “sampler pack” is the most common occurrence of obvious fakes that I’m aware of. They’re usually not anywhere close to this price point though. If they’d had a clear lid, I would have considered that a dead giveaway. As they were presented without a lid at all, I have to assume that the shop put together an authentic sampler in a spare box.

I did look around for the elusive Behike. If they had any, I didn’t notice them.

If anyone wants a particular photo with greater resolution than I can post, let me know and I’ll be happy to send the original to you.

Again, this is simply information only. I enjoy visiting this place and I’m not trying to tarnish their reputation with poorly-informed guesses. If I felt they were knowingly selling a bunch of fakes, I would not have made a purchase today.

Reactions: bearinvt

·
Super Moderator
4,438 Posts
I have actually purchased those Selección samplers before Steve
Both the robustos and the pyramides, about six or seven years ago
I still have a few left
They are the real deal
Check the date on the bottom of the boxes, they should be at least a few years old
Just from the pictures, everything in the shop looks kosher to me, but like you I’m hardly an expert just from looking

·
Minister of Propaganda
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have actually purchased those Selección samplers before Steve
Both the robustos and the pyramides, about six or seven years ago
I still have a few left
They are the real deal
Check the date on the bottom of the boxes, they should be at least a few years old
Just from the pictures, everything in the shop looks kosher to me, but like you I’m hardly an expert just from looking

Well that makes me feel better. I’ve seen so many clear-lid fake samplers (usually in the hands of a guy walking down the beach) that I came to believe there was no such thing as a real sampler pack.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts