Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My laptop, which I use to chat, surf CS & the web, go to my online school, and do papers on has begun to run slower than a 386! It took 14 days just to open up this new thread and type this out:mad:

Does anyone have recomendations to a freeware programs that will speed up my programs, especially when opening Word documents and other applications. I know there a million out there, but they "diagnose" your computer for free, but won't let you "fix" the problem. Any help is appreciated!:)

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
How much ram is on it? I'm adding a gig of memory to mine. My Xmas present to myself. Most of the so called speeder uppers only make very small gains in actual speed. Ram will make the biggest difference on any system.

·
Block Watcher
3,995 Posts
How much ram is on it? I'm adding a gig of memory to mine. My Xmas present to myself. Most of the so called speeder uppers only make very small gains in actual speed. Ram will make the biggest difference on any system.
What Frank said. Also - are you running an up to date anti virus program and does your system have all of the current security patches installed?

If not one possible cause for slowness could be that someone is using your machine as part of a bot net, or perhaps you've just generally been rooted.

AVG free edition is a good anti virus product that is free for non commercial use that updates its virus defs daily.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
What Frank said. Also - are you running an up to date anti virus program and does your system have all of the current security patches installed?

If not one possible cause for slowness could be that someone is using your machine as part of a bot net, or perhaps you've just generally been rooted.

AVG free edition is a good anti virus product that is free for non commercial use that updates its virus defs daily.
AVG has been on my systems for over 5 years without any problems, good call Jon. Also run scan disk and defragg at least once a month, every couple of weeks with heavy use. And run clean disk often to, that gets rid of all the dang temp files and other shit that gets thrown on your disk from internet stuff, especially **** sites. Oh yeah the ewido antispyware from Avg works better than spybot or adaware. Malware, adware and malicious code slow your system down as well.

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
Everything bogs these babies down.

You need to run Spy sweep and Norton Anti Virus. I run both of these nightly and now my system is lightning fast.

Also if you have less than a gig of ram you need to bump it up to a gig.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
If you haven't added any apps and the computer just started to deteriote over time.. check spyware and virus first...

I've had good luck with the following product.
http://www.ccleaner.com/

It will clean out a lot of registry values that should not be there, Kill processes that shouldn't be running.

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool. Thanks! I'm running Norton AV and I run scandisk and defrag on a regular basis. I think I have too much running at once. thanks!

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Snowmiser
1,104 Posts
firefox is AWESOME much faster!, but yeah the RAM is a good thing to upgrade, andjust try cleaning it out alot, that shoudl do the trick.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I'm using Norton Spyware...is she the problem?
Not likely.

If you installed any software or made any other changes just prior to the problem showing up it could be the cause of your problems.

If not you can check a couple of things to find the cause.

Right click on the taskbar and select task manager. Select the processes tab and look at the cpu column. See what is using the most cpu time.

Restart in "safe mode with networking" and connect to the internet and try a couple of programs and see if your speed is normal. If it is it is something in your startup that is loading and causing the problem.

Again give the 2 programs a try and see what they find.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts