Cigar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rant is mine and has nothing to do with being a mod.

I do alot of crap for this forum and for the members of this forum. I only ask two things. NO RELIGION, NO POLITICS.

But yet it seems like most days when I log on, it's right in my face. A big screw you, aimed right at me.

Trust me , I understand the "thoughts and prayers and rest in peace" in appropriate situations and the posts that could get political but don't.. But what I don't understand is how every cigar is a miracle and needs to be praised as such or straight up, in your face political memes are "just a joke" or "I didn't see it that way"...I don't know how stupid yunz guys think I am but the excuses are wearing thin.

If you wouldn't walk up to a stranger and say it, don't say it here. I know what you're thinking I WOULD WALK UP ANYONE ON THE STREET AND SAY WHAT I WANNA SAY. Just keep in mind that's why people walk across to the other side of the street when they see yunz coming.

I know , from my PM's, that I'm not the only one feeling this way. Think before you post guys. Please

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
29,874 Posts
Wow Dino I know we don't get along. I think if you have an issue with someone. You should tale it to P.M. I only know of this thread because I received many P.M on it. I stopped following what you posted long ago. Wishing someone peace or saying GOD BLESS. Is not religious discussion. And a MEME is just that a Joke. Maybe you should give it a rest. What I post on this Forum is well within the rules of the forum. Time to bury the Hatchet Bro.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow Dino I know we don't get along. I think if you have an issue with someone. You should tale it to P.M. I only know of this thread because I received many P.M on it. I stopped following what you posted long ago. Wishing someone peace or saying GOD BLESS. Is not religious discussion. And a MEME is just that a Joke. Maybe you should give it a rest. What I post on this Forum is well within the rules of the forum. Time to bury the Hatchet Bro.
It's in the rules nothing political or religious is to be posted. I get along with everyone that follows the rules. But when a person thinks " well, I've been here forever so these rules don't apply to me" it's insulting, to me and all the other members that follow the rules.

The PMs I get are from established members asking me to post something to make it stop. These guys never say boo so if they're complaining, I listen.

We have members from all over and not everyone is a Christian. You'd be the first one reporting a "praise be to Allah" or "all hail Satan" sign off.

In conclusion, my post was a general statement made to ALL members. What does it say that everyone's first thought was " I better pm Tony". Apparently it's more than just the people PMing me and reporting complaints, that noticed your disregard for the rules. Also a pm wasn't sent because it was a general statement about disrespecting the rules for the forum. But since you called me out in open forum, I'll respond in the same. There's two options here.. stop or go.

·
Bloke with a Smoke
1,091 Posts
I love a good political discussion or religious disagreement ..... but not here. Honestly, I find some of the Memes posted offensive .... not funny.

It's not just following the rules. It comes down to RESPECT for others. That means your opinion is YOURS and regarding politics and religion, keep it to yourself, Treat others as you would want someone who disagrees with you to treat you. That most likely does not include in your face comments or memes.

Instead, let's have fun here that excludes those topics, and enjoy each other's company as much as we enjoy our smokes. I for one am glad to see your post @UBC03 . Been a member for just over a year and the problem is getting worse, Long past time for it to stop.

All I would ask is that moderation be consistent and fair and that means all members are treated the same. Draw the line in the sand, announce you will be enforcing the rules and then do it.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love a good political discussion or religious disagreement ..... but not here. Honestly, I find some of the Memes posted offensive .... not funny.

It's not just following the rules. It comes down to RESPECT for others. That means your opinion is YOURS and regarding politics and religion, keep it to yourself, Treat others as you would want someone who disagrees with you to treat you. That most likely does not include in your face comments or memes.

Instead, let's have fun here that excludes those topics, and enjoy each other's company as much as we enjoy our smokes. I for one am glad to see your post @UBC03 . Been a member for just over a year and the problem is getting worse, Long past time for it to stop.

All I would ask is that moderation be consistent and fair and that means all members are treated the same. Draw the line in the sand, announce you will be enforcing the rules and then do it.
We try but we don't/can't catch everything. Yunz guys can help by hitting the report button or send me a pm. We get an alert and we can look it up. We appreciate the help.

Between jobs, kids, grandkids and having a life, we read what we can and do what we can but things get missed. I apologize for that.

·
Smoking Volunteer
4,797 Posts
That was rude and uncalled for Tony. At a minimum, you owe a public apology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
29,874 Posts
The P.Ms I received were from long time members as well.
Not really P.M by way of the forum.
But you know texts and phone calls.
All are long time established members as well.
They see what is going on.
They are upset that you would call me out for nothing.
The rules state no political no Religious Discussions.
I have done neither.
I know you want me to engage you .
I will not as that would be Disrespectful.
Bob I don't know what to say.
We are friends for many years.
If you felt I was rude to you.
You could have called me.
Or P.M me in case you lost my number it has been a while.
Bob if I offended you in any way.
You have my sincerest apologies.
But I think you now that already.
I wish you would explain what this is about.
If you wish to discuss this further.
You know where to find me.
May peace be with you.
All the best Tony

·
Smoking Volunteer
4,797 Posts
Tony, you haven’t been rude to me. But you have been to one of our hardworking Mods.

Quit poking the bear! Right after this was posted you made a post about God with a bunch of exclamation points. !!!!!! Just to make your point.

Just tone it down, and enjoy the discussions about cigars, which we all love.

·
Banned
29,874 Posts
Tony, you haven’t been rude to me. But you have been to one of our hardworking Mods.

Quit poking the bear! Right after this was posted you made a post about God with a bunch of exclamation points. !!!!!! Just to make your point.

Just tone it down, and enjoy the discussions about cigars, which we all love.

As i said earlier Bob.
Nothing i have done is outside the rules.
I always use punctuation and in the old days if you remember Emoji.
There is a long history here you are not aware about.
Funny thing about it all is.
It all started after someone else in authority.
Went after you in the Habanos section.
And I came to your defense.
I guess what they say is true.
"No good deed goes unpunished" Lol
All the best Tony

·
Super Moderator
8,513 Posts
Considering the direction this thread has taken, I think it's in the forum's best interest to let it be known that TonyBrooklyn has not been permanently banned, but has received on 30-day suspension for disrespecting other members. This is a decision reached by the Moderating Team, not a unilateral one by any individual moderator.

See rule #3:

3. Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on Puff.com. Ideas and opinions may be challenged, but name calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed and may cause your account to be banned. Harassment will not be tolerated in this community. This includes private messages and user emails.​
3a. Users shall not question or debate a moderator decision publicly on the message board. In the event of a disagreement or questioning of a moderator's decision or action, users should contact the moderator(s) or admin(s) via PM.​

I'd also like to address the core issue that this began with by recommending everyone read and refresh their memories as to what the rule regarding moderated subject matter actually says.

See rule #14:

14. Potentially inflammatory subjects, particularly Politics and Religion, are stringently monitored, as is vulgarity, with extremely limited leeway allowed. When in doubt, DON'T! Posts apt to spark arguments, digress into agenda-driven treatises, or otherwise create a combative or uncomfortable atmosphere are unwelcome. Recourse for transgressions are solely at the discretion of site Moderators.​
Edit: Note that being the forum's previous domain name "Puff.com" refers to and applies to "CigarForums.net" as well. Rules simply have not been updated since the changeover. But that's also an indication of just how long these rules have been in place.

·
Registered
6,310 Posts
I have not PMd anyone about this issue, and don't know the backstory, but I have to say I am distressed that this discussion has resulted in hard feelings between two members of this forum that I hold in the highest esteem and affection. From what I know of them from this forum, both Dino and Tony are sterling individuals with big hearts, great senses of humor and excellent judgement. Both have been nothing but welcoming, kind and friendly. Both are key members of this community. We can't afford to lose either of them or have either feeling miserable. I'm sorry this disagreement broke into the open but perhaps that gives us ordinary members an opportunity to help.

So how do we restore peace and fellowship? First, let me say that, although I don't share Tony's religious persuasion, I have never felt alienated or put off by his expression of it. I find his religious sayings to be pretty cheerful and inoffensive. He is not a bully. He sends good wishes to his Jewish friends on the holidays and would probably do the same for members of other religions if he knew them. The way I experience it, Tony is publicly affirming his own beliefs not shoving them down anyone else's throat. I recognize, however, that other's might not experience it that way.

Dino is truly a "supermod." It's tough being a voluntary moderator on a public forum like this—allowing people plenty of scope for self-expression, banter and even disagreement without offense or hurt feelings. From experience I can say Dino handles the inevitable disputes with discretion, humor and a light touch. I'm not sure what the rules regarding non-confrontational expressions of religious belief are exactly but I do know that religion and politics are the third rails of public forums. It seems to me simpler to err on the side of complete abstinence from those two subjects rather than forcing the moderators to make Solomonic distinctions between what is and what isn't acceptable.

Feelings are running high at the moment. People we admire are feeling disrespected and possibly hurt. Whatever comments we make should help heal the wound not make it worse. There is only one satisfactory outcome to this situation: that these two great gentlemen will find a way to resolve this issue between them, for our sakes as well as theirs. I have no doubt they can do it.

·
Super Moderator
17,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks @Piper .

Yunz know me, I normally diffuse situations. Which was my intent here. The way things were bubbling back here (PM's and whatnot), it was gonna be an issue and I'm thinking NOT a little dust up.

I tried to avoid an ugly situation and in my usual way stumbled my way into another one.. lol..

One of these days I'll figure out to let the big dudes duke it out on their own. Nah, who am I kidding , I'll keep breaking em up and getting smacked upside the head for my efforts.

Just want EVERYONE to feel comfortable around here. As always religion and politics is not the recipe for a relaxing evening. You don't believe me, come to Thanksgiving.. lol

·
One of the a-holes
6,667 Posts
I enjoy discussions with varied opinions, but not at the expense of hurt feelings.
Many topics are six degrees from religion/politics. Inflation, healthcare, legal issues, etc.
If the administration doesn’t want them discussed here, there are other forums. So be it.
Not my circus, not my monkeys.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.