Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Asked this in another thread, don't think it's going to be answered: Is the placement of stamps, seals, labels etc. standardized enough that it could indicate fakes? Is it one of those things that they're always placed exactly in the same position every time on a havana box?

·
-
11,412 Posts
i do believe so, except i think cohibas are in different spots...

but i'm a newbie, and not qualified to answer this. take what i say at your own risk.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I knew Poker would produce it.
Is the image that is produced by adding UV light to the new seal a shield. It looks to me exactly like the sheild on the seal that is split by the front top of the box. It appears close to the bottom front of the box.
I have seen the 2nd shield, but not the hologram.
Where exactly is the Hologram placed on the box?
What boxes dated forward should have this hologram?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how does the uvlight shield make it difficult to copy?

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks for the input poker,
It seems as though since there has been a question of fake or real on the boxes in balt. , this has answered a yes real.............................................

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Keep this in mind...

I have personally seen and inspected a full box of Cohibas last year.

Box was 100% real
Bands were 100% real
Habanos Chevron was 100% real
Government Seal was 100% real

Cigars were however not Cohibas. 100% short filler.

Like I said, it takes a little experience & not to always believe 100% of what your eyes see.
The cigars I mentioned above could not be told by sight alone.

The tip off that aroused suspicion? 250 for a box of Esplendidos to start.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hey thanks for the info Poker. Always count on you for good info. Thanks to Churchlady all us newbies know what to look for. This place is great. I love the Jungle

:pu

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
A few more FYI tidbits

What Poker mentioned:

BAck in 1998 bought a box of Cohiba Lancero (my favorite Cohiba). Cost $375. Beautiful cigars, smoked great, full of flavor, character & good strength. I was a happy lark. Problem? Around the 3rd cigar I decided to do one of my (yes, gasp! horror!) dissections. All 100% short filler. I was shocked, not that it was counterfeit but that it was such a good counterfeit. But the worst part is that I felt taken. For short filler, the price should have been 1/3 to less than half the full price. Honestly, I did enjoy every single one that I smoked and gifted a few (with the warning that they were short filler), but someone was laughing all the way to the bank and it was with my money.

Here's what I've heard about the hologram sticker, and I don't know if anyone will concur. It's designed to foil counterfeit cigars from leaving Cuba. It works like this: All boxes bought in legit retail stores, LCDH, or factory stores in Cuba will have the hologram stickers. That way as the traveler is leaving the country when he's inspected the hologram signifies that the cigars were bought legit and not from counterfeit sources. No sticker and the cigars get seized!! On the other hand cigars being exported out of Cuba are not meant to carry the seals just yet but the the information available is confusing as to if & when they'll carry hologram. The rationale for this is that most real Havanas being exported go through legit distributors that sell to whole markets or single natins. These distributors/wholesalers are considered established and reliable so at this time they are not being questioned as to the authenticity of their cigars. Still I've heard different talk if the hologram stickers will eventually be available on ALL exported boxes of Havanas as a mark of authenticity.

What the churchlady wrote:

how does the uvlight shield make it difficult to copy?
WEll, if you've ever been to a nightclub and gotten stamped on your hand, some of nightclubs will use an "invisible" stamp that lights up under black light. Same technology. Easy to copy as it is widely available out there.

MoTheMan

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so what's the point of the uv seal then? is it old technology being replaced by holograms?

I like the idea of numbering cigars... whatdya think?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
based on personal experience, i think what you said is true mo.. the only boxes i have with holograms are the ones from cuba. ... a funny story tho- while i was there, a student tried to sell me a box of fake esplendidos ... the uncle of his girlfriend worked in a factory :r ... i wanted to see it (just for fun) so i told him to bring it to me. the cigars looked great but obvious fakes, and the box had no stickers or stamps. i asked how much... he said something like $40 or $60... can't remember. i started laughing and told him they were fakes- the box doesn't even have any stickers or stamps!! the next day at work, he comes by and tells me if i want all the stickers and stamps, that would be an extra $25!!! :r :r

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Counterfeiters are so ingenious!!

so what's the point of the uv seal then? is it old technology being replaced by holograms?
I think when the UV seal first came out it was a great idea to help confirm authenticity, but after seeing the first few boxes with them it was obvious to me that they were easy to copy. now, it's a moot point.

MoTheMan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts