Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction
This La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5 was sent to me from Da Klugs. It is classified as full strength. I believe it has sat in his humidor for a few months already. The Serie R #5 is a 5.5 x 54 stick. They are made in the company's El Credito factory in Miami using Dominican/Nicaraguan filler, Nicaraguan binder, and an Ecuadorian/Connecticut wrapper. These cigars cost about $4.00 per stick if you buy them by the box.

Pre-Light Ruminations
These are quite hefty sticks. They are a fat 54 ring gauge, very well constructed, and firmly packed. The wrapper is fairly smooth and thick with a slightly oily feel. I used my double bladed guillotine cutter to slice an opening in the cap. This was accomplished easily with no damage to the cap.

Initial Thoughts
Right from the beginning the LGC started out mellow but with an incredibly rich flavor. I have never smoked a cigar that began with this much body. The blend was very mellow with no hints of peppery spiciness and not very earthy. This was a straight up rich tobacco flavor I was getting. It lit well and filled my apartment with copious amounts of smoke.

Smoking Experience
With this much taste right at the beginning I was a little worried about what was to come. As I ventured past the first 1/3, I realized I had quite a buzz going so I slowed down a little. When I resumed, the cigar had gone out and I had to remove the ash to relight. It immediately picked up right were I had let off with clouds of smoke and mouthfuls of richness. The flavor remained relatively constant throughout the cigar. However, once I past the 2/3 mark, the cigar was overpowering my palate and leaving an unpleasant aftertaste. At this point I had to put it down because of the sheer strength of flavor and the fact that I was dizzy

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5

I smoked one of the Maduros last night. I really enjoyed the first 1/2 but the second half started to get a little too fungel (yes, even for the Porcini). I smoked it down to about 1.5 inches but I enjoyed the first half much much more than the second. It makes me want to try the natural because I get a feeling that funk I got from the second half might have something to do with the maduro.

I'd definately try more.

·
Banned
8,745 Posts

Jeff your such a wuss. :r These are only med/full bodied cigars. Better smoke the GH #5 outside of the local hospital. Hey I really like the format of your reviews, so clean so easy to read. :D

Looking forward to what you think of the gh #3 and salsa. Dems tasty in my book.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

Da Klugs said:
Hey I really like the format of your reviews, so clean so easy to read.
Amigo, I like the format of his review also, I think he did a good job.
you think the admin. people can do some kind of format for reviewing a cigar for people like me? Or can we just copy somebody's format?
I guess It'll be nice, so we don't omit some important facts.
I had about three reviews so far and I guess it went okay. What I'm doing is just telling everybody what I experienced with the cigar.
Hey Mon! Me from the cayman island... Salud!

·
Registered
904 Posts

Nice Review

Good full bodied cigars can sometimes do that to ya. This is one of my favorites especially with LGC.

Get a nurse and an IV ready before you try the GH #5 or a JDN.

Just had a Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte last night and was really impressed.

·
Registered
727 Posts

I have one in my Humi right now, and I am looking forward to lighting it up!!! Now I know not to try it on an empty stomach.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Right now these are some of my fav smokes. I love the #4 and #5 in maduro. After smoking several of these I've noticed that you may want to slow down on puffs per min. on the second half. If these start to get hot they tend to put off a bitter taste, just take your time with them and don't get in a hurry. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

These are really good smokes. Was this a maduro or natural? I've only smoked the maduros, but every time I go into my local shop I feel compelled to pick up a #4 or #5. They are very tasty!

·
Registered
7,155 Posts

Excellent review Jeff, you hit every nail on the head. Very straightforward tobacco flavor, loads of smoke, really good inexpensive cigar. I had one of these tonight, but I had already smoked a Punch and had a bite to eat, so I didn't get the "buzz" experience that you did.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts

I just had one of these tonight at the cigar shop... not sure what size it was but it was BIG

Excellent smoke right from the start and only got better. I too will add this to the buy list.

·
Registered
21,743 Posts

LiteHedded said:
I like lgc's ok
but does anyone else have problems with them running up the side as they burn? everyone I've tried has burned poorly for me
Yeah.... actually mine burned on the poor side but that does not mean much to me if it tastes right and it shonuff did. Ironic part was.... I was looking prices up for this bad boy when I saw the thread reply come through... it must be meant to be :z

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

you've never tried these? These are one of my fav's and I just figured everyone had some in there humi....LOL.

I may be out of the #5 but have some #4's and 6's natural and maduro so if you and Anita would like some just send me your addy and I'll get them to ya.

floydp said:
Nice review Jeff,and yep another stogie to put on the,to try list.. thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts

i like the flavor for the first half of the cigar. i dont like the aroma it leaves and the burn on it. i like the naturals alot better then the maduro's

·
Registered
4,165 Posts

Here is my review of this stick:

Cigar: La Gloria Cubana Serie R #5, Maduro

Size: 5.5 x 54, Robusto.
Wrapper: Beautiful looking, oily with a nice sheen to the dark almost black wrapper.

Purchase: Five pack from Famous smoke received on 8/28/06 (so much for letting this on rest).
Price: 24.95 / 5
Drink: raspberry tea
Place smoked: backyard, sunny, 80, 6:00 pm
Cap: very well made.

Cut: Guillotine, XiKAR Xi. Cut clean and easy.
Light: easy to light, nice even start.

Burn: even but not razor sharp.
Ash: gray, with some darkness and a bit flakey.
Draw: very nice with good smoke volume, just the way I like it.
Finish: Nice but not great.
Body: full with peppery flavor.

Strength: FULL.
Performance: starts out mild but builds quickly to full body. Good through the entire smoke. Have to keep an eye on these, they go out quicker then most.

Comments: This is the nicest looking stick I have seen:) . Good performer, consistent from start to finish, but not special. A definite re-buy.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

floydp said:
Nice review Jeff,and yep another stogie to put on the,to try list.. thanks
:tpd:
I've never had their "Series R". This is a stogie I've been meaning to try too, although I prefer LGC's natural wrapper over the maddy. Definitely need to pick one up...soon:dr

·
Registered
936 Posts

i've heard a lot of good things about these LGCs. they're on my list to try. I've heard these Series R are pretty nice.

nice review, thanks :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.