Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
La Gloria Cubana has always intrigued me, often enraptured me, and often left me wondering what went wrong.

I've smoked Serie R #4s and #5s that have been simply fantastic and complex, with the sweet black tea undertones that attend the best Cubans I've had. Others have simply been strong, and often harsh -- their flavour profiles all but masked by their unnerving attack.

The Reserva Figurado line doesn't offer much complexity, but at least it isn't a bully. Smooth, sweet creamy flavour abounds from start to finish. The smoke starts a bit tight in the draw, but relaxes quickly. The burn is surprisingly good, with a firm and stubborn ash. This is a great tasting, great smoking, beautiful cigar.

That said, this cigar is almost too consistent and refined -- often bordering on condescending, with a sugary flavour profile that might strike a more seasoned smoker as, well, trite. Of course, sometimes you want a cigar that isn't proned to surpirses and distractions; Sometimes you need a cigar that doesn't demand that you interrupt your wife's Cosmo-induced, Jimmy Choo handbag musings simply to remark on its enigmatic smoking behaviour.

In short, if you're looking for an adventure, there are other cigars that better fill the bill. But if you're looking for a consistently sweet, easy smoking cigar that's indisposed to bumptiousness, this could very well be a contender for your smoke of choice.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Re: La Gloria Cubana Reserva Figurado

I have had the same experience with the SerieR. Sometimes they are good and other times they terrible. It bepends on how much age they have. The older the better. Now when I get them I let them sit in the Humi for a while.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I indeed get a new cabinet Humidor for Christmas...

...I'm going to get a box of Serie R and store it for a year. Every one I've had has suggested to me that there's a truly great cigar waiting to be born, given a little time.

I've had 8 Reserva Figurados and they've all tasted the same, burned the same etc. etc. I was really surprised given the aforementioned inconsistency of the Serie R.

kamikaiguy said:
I have had the same experience with the SerieR. Sometimes they are good and other times they terrible. It bepends on how much age they have. The older the better. Now when I get them I let them sit in the Humi for a while.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Re: If I indeed get a new cabinet Humidor for Christmas...

BTW what do you prefer the naturals or the maduros?

I might just get the number 4´s if theyre any good...

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you know me...

...I'm partial to natural wrapper cigars. :)

But that could just be a kick I'm on. Maybe I'll go back to Maduros in another 6 months.

I really think Kamakaiguy's recommendation is a good one: let your Serie R rest for a good long time before smokin' em. I'm hardly an expert -- I've got alot to learn -- but the serie R seems like the kind of cigar that would do well to let its flavours marry.

The Reserva Figurados , on the other hand, are ready for smokin.

El Rey del Mundo said:
BTW what do you prefer the naturals or the maduros?

I might just get the number 4´s if theyre any good...

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts

kamikaiguy said:
kamikaiguy hit the nail right on the head. The Serie R #4 with a maduro wrapper is my favorite smoke(right now anyway). Right out of the box they can be very harsh and not very enjoyable. But give them a few months and they're a completely different smoke. I try to keep a few boxes stashed away in the bottom of the coolador, but my problem is I get to impatient sometimes.

·
Registered
978 Posts

magno said:
La Gloria Cubana has always intrigued me, often enraptured me, and often left me wondering what went wrong.

-- their flavour profiles all but masked by their unnerving attack.

.... at least it isn't a bully.

That said, this cigar is almost too consistent and refined -- often bordering on condescending, with a sugary flavour profile that might strike a more seasoned smoker as, well, trite.

...you need a cigar that doesn't demand that you interrupt your wife's Cosmo-induced, Jimmy Choo handbag musings simply to remark on its enigmatic smoking behaviour.

In short, if you're looking for an adventure, there are other cigars that better fill the bill. But if you're looking for a consistently sweet, easy smoking cigar that's indisposed to bumptiousness, this could very well be a contender for your smoke of choice.
LOL! I'm not sure if you liked this cigar, or exactly what the hell you were trying to say about it, but i sure as heck enjoyed reading your review!

_____
rm

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts

G-Man said:
"Trunk Show edition"

I need some help on that one. What is it?
Hi G-Man,

"Trunk Shows" are fancy schmancy herfs that LGC holds. They are by invitation only, and usually have 100 or less people in attendance. From what I understand they had 3 of these events in '04. At these free shows they showcase cigars that aren't available to the general public. Invitees usually get to smoke their fill of cigars and get handed another dozen or so when they leave.

I definitely don't have the connections to get an invite to a trunk show; but have a generous BOTL aquaintance who does.

I believe the cigars pictured below are the ones featured at the 2003 events. The one on the far right is the shape of the figurado I smoked. I can't be certain it was the same cigar due to the degree to which the cello had yellowed. :w

-Matt-

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He he....

...Thanks....I think. I guess what I was saying in a nutshell was that it's a really nice cigar, but it doesn't really make you stop and take notice of anything in particular other than it's a really nice easy smoking cigar. That's often a good thing ....especially when you're hanging with a your wife who really could care less about that 7 year old madagascar vanilla flavour your experiencing
An Opus X takes some reflection to smoke: it's an epic. It deserves poetry -- an homage if you will. Your wife or girlfriend are gonna get pretty annoyed at you when you interrupt their story about the cute little kitten they saw at the SPCA to tell em all about the coffee and tea undertones in your overpriced stick of dryed plant matter.

Roger Miller" said:
LOL! I'm not sure if you liked this cigar, or exactly what the hell you were trying to say about it, but i sure as heck enjoyed reading your review!

_____
rm
:r :r

·
Jungle Revo Racer
673 Posts

Just had me one 7 3/4 x 63 today. It was great. I am looking forward to a treat with a 2002.

James.

·
Registered
314 Posts

I just finished a LGC Reserva Figurado, and I think I have a new favorite cigar. I'm still noob, but right now this is at the top of my list.

What other cigars have a similar flavor?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.